• Overall: 615
      Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Gotta luv some WACs

Out there somewhere exists a photo probably several cameras full of any 2 of a flight of 3 somewhere over the Rockies of F16s in flight formation with a lone Fokker trip wing .
      I have to laugh a little bit. Every time I think about having known the Fokker pilot. You see that particular Fokker probably has the world altitude record for the model at 11,000 ft . . Anyway he was moving from Enis Montana to Phoenix Az and the only way to get the airplane there was to fly it. So here he is at 11,000 ft to clear the terrain and all hunkered down in his wooly leather helmet goggles and snow gear withe his flight jacket over it ,collar up at his scarf in and out of the open cockpit . He’s got it trimmed out and best cruise of about 85 knots. and the 3 F16s come by at about 250 knots and 1 of them pulls up and comes around for a 2nd look . You can see this right ,a bright red Fokker over the Rockies in 1989 and these USA guys thinking “did we hit the Bahamas while we weren’t looking?”. In just a few minutes all 3 of the F16s are on him with their landing gear and flaps all hanging out and he’s trying to help he’s got the throttle clear forward and the nose down and up to about 95 knots and the Navagator are taking pictures of each other because nobody is ever going to believe them .
      They flew along about 5 minutes in formation with I’m and down about 9,000 ft he started getting it all back in best cruise and inching back up to 10,500 to get over the next ridge and the flyboys couldn’t hold altitude at 80 knots so they cleaned up and disappeared. He said that was the only company he had the whole 2 days and 16 hrs of flying time .

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.