• Author
      uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

Learned colleagues,

I sized some range brass and loaded with light loads for fire forming. The cases, over 50, were mil-surplus that had crimped primers originally. During the priming of on the second load, several cases had primer pockets that were very loose. So loose in fact that the primers came out without much resistance when using an universal decapping tool.

Except for the oversized primer pockets, these cases look fine. I spent a good deal of time annealing and turning the necks, as well as a trimming them down, so I’d like to save and use the oddballs if possible. Is there any way to breathe life back into such a case? Please advise.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I’ve read that some primers will have larger and smaller dia by .00??

Alternatively I have swage down brass cased Berdan primed cases to hold boxer primers . I would expect the same could be done with standard boxer type pockets .

If they are low cycle brass and been used for low pressure loads ,not maximum loads.

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Thanks Harter for your response.

I did attempt to use the RCBS primer pocket swagger tool on the cases in question without success. The primers in question are Rem 9 1/2. Perhaps CCI or Winchesters are a bit wider diameter. I’ll do some experimenting and let you know my results.

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Harter, you are a genius!

CCI primers seated firmly. Problem solved. I stopped my experimenting after that. So I don’t know where Winchester primers stand. What I did learn is that CCI primers are a bit wider than Remington primers.

Thank you for your suggestion!

Charlie

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I think genius is a bit of a stretch ,just good reading retention.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.