This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jniedbalski 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
     Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 218
    • Overall: 261

I’ve got this old Winchester model 72 bolt action 22 rifle that I really enjoy shooting.   It had one of those super small side mount scopes on it and really lacked alot.  It also had the previous owner’s name engraved on the  side mount.  I found a weaver 2 piece side mount for for it and the old screw holes lined up, so I put it on.  I could not get the scope adjusted over far enough or high enough.  I was in the LGS the other day looking for something totally different, when I came across a scope base for a TC Encore.  It looked to be real close to the the right radius of the receiver, so I picked it up.  The contour was close, but not close enough, so I put a piece of sand cloth over the receiver and ran the scope base back and forth sanding it out until it matched.  I then marked, drilled and tapped two 6×48 screw holes on top and locktighted it in place.  I threw an old scope on and tried it out.  Within a couple of minutes I had it zeroed.  I put some plugs into the sidemount holes.  I need to get some more for what looked like someone had a receiver sight on it way back.

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 201
    • Overall: 224

How does it shoot. My dad has one of the old win bolt 22’s I haven’t shot it in a very long time

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 201
    • Overall: 224

It looks almost like this one. I think we need a stock for it. If I remember correctly it has a bad crack at the rest so we haven’t shot it in 30 years

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.