This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  timspawn 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
     kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 511
    • Overall: 565

who is this, I never heard of them before?

Is this their own proprietary action?

have they re-worked someone else’s action?

http://www.bighornarmory.com/catalog/1/big-horn-armory-products/

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 154
    • Overall: 179

Yes, it is their own action, well sort of,

“the Model 89 embodies the best of the old Model 86 and Model 92 lever-actions in a modern platform capable of handling the powerful .500 S&W”

They are great guys, the owner used to run Mt. Baldy Bullets, but shut it down when they started Big Horn Armory.  They used to use my lube and I met them in person at a Linebaugh Seminar in Cody a few years ago when it was first in the prototype stages.

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 154
    • Overall: 179

The only downside to their guns is the $2500 price tag.

I saw they did a small run of 500 Linebaugh rifles.  That would be way too cool.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2431
    • Overall: 2635

The Bighorn Armory rifles are American made, with a custom designed action. Very similar to the 1886 or 92, but not at all interchangeable.

I’ve had one of their rifles in my hands, and I was impressed. I would say that Bighorn is head and shoulders, the finest American made lever action rifle on the market. It’s true the pricetag is steep compared to the cheapo beepo, mass produced, looks like the real thing lever actions on the market, but they are right where they need to be if you consider the cost of a Winchester 1886 back in the day vs. inflation.

The fact of the matter is that this is what firearms used to cost before America went totally bonkers with cheap gun syndrome.

My only problem with the BHA lever is the caliber selection. I’d much they offer it in a 600 yard flat shooting cartridge. The 500S&W is a wonderful option for less than 200 yard shooting, but that power could be put to much better use in my humble opinion.

That said, it puts the 45-70 across it’s knee and spanks it soundly.

All in all, a superb lever action, made in the old tradition, and worth every penny.

timspawn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 137
    • Overall: 166

I bought one for a friend in 500 S&W. It was a work of art. The fit and finish were superb. He loves it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us