Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      dragon813gt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 79
      • Overall: 84

A few weeks back I was on vacation and decided to spend a good bit of it casting. Most of the molds were being used for the first time. I always take measurements and averages. This time I figured I’d pull a good sample size and weigh them. I pulled 100 random bullets for pistols. For the rifle bullets I weighed every single bullet. I was not going to this w/ the pistol bullets since the batches were a lot larger. Some of the graphs show I was pretty consistent w/ my casting techniques. Others show I needed to weigh a larger sample if I wanted to see the full bell curve. That’s just not happening w/ pistol bullets since I’m shooting at close range.

Putting these together gave me something to do one night while in a hotel room for work. Nice to be able to do something casting/reloading related when I’m 2,700 miles from home.

Fruits of my labor: https://www.dropbox.com/s/863dg2ww5y…urves.pdf?dl=0

Feel free to tell me what I’m doing wrong. I’m sure there are many things I do wrong but it’s what works for me 😉

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

LOL Dragon813gt, did the same thing in LibreOffice Calc a while back really helps months later especially if you record data such as Alloy temp etc etc.
      Great to hear I’m not the only “geek” whom uses computers to support my real hobby.

slim1836
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 63
      • Overall: 66

I see you like to stay at 740 when casting, wonder if a different temp. would produce different results.
      I do like the results you’re getting, I do sort by weight and try to group by weight when reloading.

Slim

dragon813gt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 79
      • Overall: 84

Temp will effect results. I cast in an unconditioned garage and during these sessions the ambient temp was in the low forties. I vary pot temperature to the point where the bullets release from the mold easily. I could have turned the temp down. But the molds would have taken longer to come up to casting temp. And I would have had to cast at a faster pace. I’m not out to set any records and casting as fast as you can has no appeal to me. I want a relaxed pace and the bullets to drop from the mold when I open it.

All rifle bullets get weighed more to find ones w/ voids than anything else. I don’t shoot at long ranges. So weight variation has little to no effect on target. You can get caught up in all sorts of minutia if you want to. Trigger time for me is very limited anymore. So I want to spend as much time as possible shooting when I have the time. While many are out for the smallest groups possible. I’m trying to keep what limited shooting skills I have from degrading more.

slim1836
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 63
      • Overall: 66

I’ll have to try that temp, never cast that high on purpose, mostly 700-720 degrees. Might help with the boolit release.
      I mostly cast 230 grain 45ACP and a few 30 cal. between 160 and 210 grain.
      Powder coat all now-a-days except round ball, less messy and they don’t oxidize in storage.

Slim

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.