This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  bjornb 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author
     redriverhunter 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 22
    • Overall: 47

I am going to get a 300 win mag and have been looking at scopes mostly Vortex and Leopold. The rifle will be used for long range target shooting. I hope to become good at a 1000 yards. I would also be using to take out some hogs at  long range. I have looked at a lot of scopes online and would like some real world experience on what scope and reticle would be a good choices.  My budget for this scope is no more than 1000 (I can not believe I am willing to part with that much money for a scope, but I don’t want to look back and I wish I would have gotten something that works right in the first place)

thanks rrh

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

I do recommend Vortex. Bjorn and I have been on an epic quest for no-BS scopes for years now because we both shoot often and accurately enough to tell when one doubles our groups. It’s been a very frustrating quest, and many thousands of dollars have been wasted between the two of us figuring out what really works or not.

For long range or precision shooting, there are three scopes that I would recommend:

SWFA 10X, 16X, or 20X fixed power:

These scopes have consistently produced the finest groups on paper again and again. They are fixed, so FFP/SFP is absolutely a non issue. They are clear enough to make precision shots out as far as you can see, and they are tough as nails. Also, these scopes are the only cheap scopes that real world snipers have admitted to me they would not mind using in combat if they absolutely had to. These scopes have a reputation that is second to none at their price point. Simple. No frills. Bulletproof. The waranty on this scope is supposed to be good, but I’ve yet to hear of someone needing to use it.

Vortex Viper

There are several iterations of this scope, and I personally own and test rifles with the cheap 2nd focal plane model. This scope has impressed me as a real world performer and has delivered 1/2MOA precision on every MBT rifle it has been docked into. I’ve been using it now as my main shop optic for 2 years (maybe three?) and it is still holding the line. It bears mentioning, that my clients are using every sort of Vortex scope (even the cheap diamondback and Crossfire IIs) for precision shooting in every venue. It seems they all track, and they all hold up. Glass clarity is “mediocre to very good” and the important thing is, they do not open your groups like so many scopes do. I do believe I get better precision from the SWFA, but I have not done enough side by side tests to say that is so. I know I can deliver 1/2MOA on demand, and for my purposes, that is good enough. Vortex Warranty is becoming legendary, and the few scopes that have been abused into total destruction by my more rambunctious clients have been replaced within a week. Almost RCBS level customer service. I can’t say enough about the warranty with this company which is why I use their scopes and advertise them in my shop exclusively.

Leupold.

These guys have a proven track record, they are USA made (for the most part) and they work. I have had failures with these scopes, but the no BS warranty stands tall. However, to get a scope that is set up for long range shooting as perfectly as the previous two recommendations will be crowding your $1000 price tag pretty hard.  Nevertheless, this conversation cannot happen without a solid recommendation in their favor.

There are certain scopes you will hear recommended that I would caution you to carefully steer clear of. They all brag a lifetime warranty, but some of them don’t honor it like the three I recommend above do:

Burris. Tasco. Bushnell (except the Elite series which is very good). Muller. Weaver. Just don’t go there with these brands.

SO. To sum up, what I expect out of a scope is enough clarity to see my target.

1/2MOA precision even after making adjustments.

A track record of holding up to years of intense shooting.

A bullet proof, no BS, get me shooting again ASAP warranty.

That’s asking a lot from anything that costs less than a grand, but it’s absolutely necessary if you expect to call your shot and hit what you claim you’re going to hit out past 200 yards, and that’s where you have to be to learn to read wind. You simply MUST have predictable precision or you’re just going to get frustrated and burn ammo chasing your tail.

On a personal note, I would like to humbly submit that your 300 Winmag is going to be toast in about 1200 rounds and it’s going to take more than one brick of primers to learn how the worm turns out at 1000 yards. I would suggest you buy a good Savage 308 and burn  it out in 4000 shots figuring out how to chart a course through the wind out there. Then you can take your 300 Win Mag and make those 1000 shots count. I can tell you from personal experience that 300 rounds in, a 300 WinMag is already starting to get gator checked and the signs of erosion will be obvious when scoped with a Hawkeye. 300 Win Mag used to be a favorite caliber, until I burned out 1 1/2 barrels and got some real world long range experience. It suddenly dawned on me, that I was not using the caliber to it’s potential at 600 yards, and even if I backed up to 1000, I wouldn’t have the first clue how to chart a bullet through that mess of wind. So I backed up to lighter, longer barrel life calibers and that’s where I’m staying till I know I understand the weather enough to justify a 1500 yard rifle. The fact is, wind and mirage are like the Godfather at the range. You do not beat them. You do not shoot through around them. You either pay homage and become part of the family, or you fail. No rifle ever made can beat the weather, and the best long range shooters are better weathermen than they are target shooters. That’s the facts.

The old adage “He who is a slave to the compass has the freedom of the seas” holds very true with long range shooting.

Sorry if I waxed long worded. It’s just a subject I have thought a lot about and spend a lot of time working on.

redriverhunter 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 22
    • Overall: 47

Thank you for the reply I will take your advice and work my way up. At present I have a heavy barreled 308 win with a swfa 6x. I will work with this rifle first. I will spend some time looking at scopes,  and decide upon which reticle. thank you again for taking the time for the reply I found it very informative.

rrh

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

You’re more than welcome. That’s what we’re here for.

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 428
    • Overall: 615

For the guys I go out with for 1,000 yard (and further) we use (in order of expense) Nightforce, US Optic, Vortex, Burris, Millet (this is cheap nigerly me).

Calibers used large end 338, 300 WM, .30’06, 308 (most popular), 6.5 Creedmore, 243 and one on the windless days uses a 1:7 twist 223 loaded with some really long bullets.

Some reviews http://www.snipercentral.com/scope-reviews/
    Some other links for you

http://www.accurateshooter.com/competition/1000-yard-benchrest-guide/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnbRlIVP0Z0

Make sure your rifle/chambering/load stays supersonic at furthest distance you want to shoot.

You don’t have to push your 300 WM to top velocity just enough to get where you want to go.

Look into the amount of elevation you need to dial it for the furthest distance with your loads

Make sure to mount the scope so that it has enough elevation turns to do the job.
    (in other words if you need 44 MOA to reach 1K then if you need a 20 moa or 30 moa rail put one on)

Other things I find helpful to me

Steel Targets that react at 1000 – we have several from 14×14, 12×12, 81/2x11tall

Remote TV if shooting at paper targets to see where hitting, spotting scopes not cutting it.

I shoot in the desert so a shade (top and two sides), portable shooting table & chair

Strelok software in my phone – weather station and wind flags every 100 yards

Chronograph so see what my loads really are clocking

if you intend to set up your own practive range out on BLM or whatever – a Laser Rangefinder

bjornb 
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 163
    • Overall: 176

I bought my first (and to date only) Nightforce scope about a year ago. It’s the fixed power Competition 42×44. I love that scope. It never lets me down. It set me back over $1700, and I’ll probably never buy another scope in that price class again.

I also own a 20x SWFA and a Vortex Viper 6-24×50. Both are great scopes, and for the application you are describing the Vortex (currently $639 on Amazon) seems to be the best bang for your buck.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.