Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Dang I’m looking forward to Christmas!!!! There is much to celebrate this year, and talk has been happening in our home about the tree. Where to put it, and did I get the decorations from the old house, and general anticipation about what it’s going to look like and how wonderful it’s going to be.
      But once again it falls to me to decide……..when.
      I come from a family of 7 with a single income, and we were country folk, so about 1-2 weeks before Christmas day, all us kids would go out in the woods with dad to find a suitable green bush to chop down and drag back to the old rock house.
      I was the eldest son and stronger than my siblings, so I got to help dad drag the tree, and the little kids got to ride on it. Once back home, we would cut off all the weird protruding limbs and try to make it look like the classic pencil shape. Once the base was installed, we would stuff that puppy in the house and start hanging 15 gazillion lights and ornaments, and tinsel on it. Dad was smart and always made sure the tree had a rearward bias so it could stay up with all the stuff hung on it. There was always an angel for a topper.
      Once so decked, mom would build her little snow village under it. After that, the lights went out, dad plugged in the tree and we all admired the round shaped evergreen bush and sang christmas carols while dad played the piano.

On the other hand, Angie came from a small house in the city. Their tradition was a little different.
      On thanksgiving day, after everyone was done gorging themselves on turkey and pie, a frosted purple plastic tree was retrieved from the attic and plugged in. Mom and the kids started hanging purple ornaments around the purple lights, while dad stapled purple lights to the house outside of the house. Purple Purple everywhere.

Needles to say when Angie and I got married, we abandoned the cityfied purple deluge for a bit more of a country style decor. However, I do enjoy buying a proper fir tree if we can swing it, and I always took a slice off the trunk of the previous year’s tree and made a woodburned ornament out of it reflecting the date. Pretty simple. I do place great emphasis on the reason its called CHRISTmas.
      However, it’s my decision as to when this happens and the family waits for me to come rolling up with a tree in the truck, and I always make it an unexpected surprise.

So when do we put the tree up and get down to the real celebrating? I can’t say for sure. I wait until the spirit moves me.
      I think this year I’m going to dive in a little early. I may even go buy a tree after work today!

So what’s your tradition? When do you pull out the stops and throw down with the joyous yuletide, crank up the carols, mix the darn cider and, start piling up the packages under the tree with truly obnoxious joy overwhelming fit to make any scrooge or liberal run for their lives?

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

My cats climb a Christmas tree and dismantle the decorations.

I love my three indoor cats, so we will have a small tree.
      I always hated taking down a bunch of decorations after Christmas anyway.

Whenever we have grandkids we will probably do the all out decorating thing again.
      Until then I will play Scrooge …Bah Humbug..;)

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

WCM;n11976 wrote: My cats climb a Christmas tree and dismantle the decorations.

I love my three indoor cats, so we will have a small tree.
      I always hated taking down a bunch of decorations after Christmas anyway.

Yeah, but when do you put it up? and is it organic or full synthetic?
      Har!

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I love organic ..But my living room or family room has a wood stove.
      It dries out a natural tree and causes a fire hazard.
      So we do artificial.

Usually put it up the week after thanksgiving ..that would be now.

I love Charles Dickens so I say.. Humbug

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 137
      • Overall: 166

Ours is going up Sunday. It will be a real tree. We also have three artificial trees in the house along with one in front of the house. It takes a couple of days to put everything up/out.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Just went out and bought a wonderful Fraser fir from a local place. Pretty cool side note: The guy running the place is a professional horticulturist and had a lot of advice for me about what fruit trees will grow on the new property. I’m going to have him come out and have a look at the place in the spring, and see if we can put together a plan for improving this place.
      Anywho, got the tree, Natalie and Angie lost their minds when I stuffed the sucker through the door with a big “Merry Christmas!!!” greeting, then Angie cried when I handed her a pretty poinsettia flower I got from the same guy, and I got a big ol kiss on the jaw. Who needs mistletoe?

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I am going to plant some Holly bushes around the house this winter.

We just went through a three month drought . It finally ended this week.

I bet my eighteen acres of long leaf pines I planted last year died.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Heard about the drought. I’m really glad you finally got rain!

Phil
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 52
      • Overall: 54

We will be getting our tree today from a church in our small village. They have fresh trees and make good use of the profits.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Over the years I and the clan have been back and forth real and fake trees . I only put my foot down at decorating before the Saturday after Thanksgiving . I gave up on house lights many years a go ,outside anyway , we get lots of high-speed wind in December and it just smashes them to pieces . With our travels the last few yr for the holidays our festivities are limited to enough lights to keep it festive and a train set that runs about a Christmas village .

Maybe in 18′ I will let the Griswold house madness run wild .

Menner
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 124

Whenever the Wife says to me Honey can you move chair and the couch and get the decorations out, we have switched over to a “Fake” tree last few years some years we will go get a live tree but when my wife is still finding needles 2 months later in the carpet we are back to the “Fake” tree the following year.
      Tony

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

We bring ours (artificial) in and set it up one the afternoon of Thanksgiving Day
      Wife invites folks over for a wonderful Thanksgiving Day Dinner
      Then we all rest a bit and ALL bring in the Christmas Boxes from the storage building.
      The Nativity Set goes to the front yard, etc, ect
      And we decorate the tree in the living room in stages for the next two weeks, what fun, no stress
      Mike

p.s. on New Years Day, we do the same thing in reverse, eat, then move it all back to the storage building
      and all is well and God is Good

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

skeettx;n12016 wrote: We bring ours (artificial) in and set it up one the afternoon of Thanksgiving Day
      Wife invites folks over for a wonderful Thanksgiving Day Dinner
      Then we all rest a bit and ALL bring in the Christmas Boxes from the storage building.
      The Nativity Set goes to the front yard, etc, ect
      And we decorate the tree in the living room in stages for the next two weeks, what fun, no stress
      Mike

p.s. on New Years Day, we do the same thing in reverse, eat, then move it all back to the storage building
      and all is well and God is Good

That sounds like a pretty solid routine. Everybody’s there and needing to burn calories, so why not?

Waksupi
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 106
      • Overall: 112

A couple weeks before Christmas works for real trees, otherwise they dry out too much inside. Did you know that the big tree dealers start buying cut trees after the first hard freeze here in the west? That could mean your tree was cut around the first of October.

I’ve always been a bit odd, so a couple years I put lights all over the outhouse, no where else. All the neighbors thought it was a great idea!

dragon813gt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 79
      • Overall: 84

Anytime from Thanksgiving Day on. Now if we could get retailers to stop putting Christmas items out before Labor Day I’ll be very happy. I like Christmas a lot but I can’t stand months of looking at it..

jwt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 18
      • Overall: 20

Each year my family goes out to a tree farm to select and cut a tree. We target a weekend two weeks or a bit more before Christmas. I get the tree in the stand and put the lights on, then I turn it over to my wife and son for decorating. Soon after New Years day I remove the decorations and lay them out on the table, take off the lights, and take the tree out. Kristi puts the decorations into their storage boxes.

The bottom 12″-18″ of the Christmas tree is saved to put in the fireplace on the following years Christmas.

I, like dragon813gt, try to limit Christmas decorations. movies, and music to the Christmas season. To me, the Christmas season starts while on the way home from Thanksgiving dinner.

For our first Christmas together (17 years ago), Kristi picked out a huge concolor fir. The star on top touched the 8′ ceiling and the base was nearly 8′ in diameter. I set it up in the stand and stepped back to admire it with Kristi. Two legs folded right up and the tree hit the ground. I went out and bought the strongest stand I could find. The pot is a 12″ diameter 3/8″ wall pipe. It has three legs each 18″ long of 3/8″ bar stock. Kristi like fat trees,

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

For the past several years, we have been buying a live tree and then planting it after the first of the year.
      We just got this one and haven’t had a chance to decorate it yet.

Hanukkah starts 1 day before Christmas this year and this is the festive Menorah.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 137
      • Overall: 166

lar45;n12095 wrote: For the past several years, we have been buying a live tree and then planting it after the first of the year.
      We just got this one and haven’t had a chance to decorate it yet.

Hanukkah starts 1 day before Christmas this year and this is the festive Menorah.

The Menorah is great! Mickey spinning the dreidel.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.