Viewing 35 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I could use a few opinions on this. Back at castboolits, I put out a request for an old style Lee hand primer. A very good gentleman hooked me up with two of them, one missing the linkage. Well, I have used that tool with extreme pleasure for years and enjoyed every single stroke of the thumb lever, but I wore the linkage and plastic trays slap out.
      A solution was needed in a hurry, so I went rummaging around my bag of tricks and came up with a Lee ram prime. I used that like crazy till it too broke.
      Next, I ordered the RCBS rampriming system and I honestly didn’t like it at all, so I modified it to work exactly like the Lee tool and it’s still going strong, but it’s SLOW and I have to touch every single primer, and I have dropped more than I like.

I need a better solution. This is something I do all the time, and I figure I’ll probably seat another 50,000 primers at least before I kick the bucket, and I want something that will get me most of the way there.
      I would appreciate any opinions!

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

Tim, I load my pistol stuff off an old Lyman Spar-T turret press. I use the old priming arm/tube combination mostly as I do on my equally old Lyman Spartan C press. If I want to sit and watch the tube (rare) I’ll hunker down and use my old Ideal or Lyman 310 tong tools to prime. I use old gear. You won’t find a Dillon or any other fancy press or rig in my place. My technology in loading stopps around 1977 with an RCBS Jr press and a set of carbide dies from the same era along with loads of 310 stuff.

Now I do have one of those old round Lee Auto Primer tools and some of the special shell holders for it, but it is getting very worn and about to head to the last roundup. But I did like how you could feel the primer seat with that tool. You can also with a 310, but it’s a might slower to use.

As to the new priming tools, shucks, I don’t trust any of ’em. I think you’re sorta on your own there. The ones I’ve seen are kinda weird looking and too many parts in ’em to satisfy me….

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

Hornady hand primer. Good feel, although your hand may get tired. i don’t care if it doesn’t have a square tray.

airmanbasic
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 5
      • Overall: 5

I always keep an eye out for the the old Lee round tray tools. Have several squirreled away. When they’re gone, guess I’ll switch to the square ones.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

I use the RCBS universal hand priming tool

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/31…d-priming-tool

I wore out two or three of the Lees many years ago.

JRR
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 84
      • Overall: 107

I use the RCBS bench mount unit with primer tubes. I never touch the primers and the lever doesn’t bother my arthritic fingers. In the past I had the Lee and RCBS hand held units. They worked fine until I started having issues with the tendons and sheaths from hand to fingers.

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

JRR;n9500 wrote: I use the RCBS bench mount unit with primer tubes. I never touch the primers and the lever doesn’t bother my arthritic fingers. In the past I had the Lee and RCBS hand held units. They worked fine until I started having issues with the tendons and sheaths from hand to fingers.

I use the RCBS bench unit for most of my rifle loading too. It’s fast and it gives one a good feel for when the primer bottoms out in the primer pocket. Mine is something like 40 years old and has outlived two different Lee hand priming units that I used for pistol loads.

Here’s a link: http://www.rcbs.com/Products/Priming…ming-Tool.aspx

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 137
      • Overall: 166

RCBS hand primer. I have two. One set up for large primes and one for small.

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I don’t mind the bench model except I’ve already got the ram prime and it works fine for rifle loads.
      Its the pistol rounds that are giving me grief. There’s a big difference between loading 20 30-06 and cranking out 500 44 magnum.

farmerjim
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 25
      • Overall: 25

RCBS hand priming tool. Not the universal. I have done over 10k with it and it is still going strong.

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 256
      • Overall: 296

I like the feel of using the old Lyman 310 system. Sometimes tough to find the primer seating dies by themselves but they do show from time to time on fleabay.
      Its a bit slow but I like the clean positive feel of the primer actually seating, and the handles are big enough they do not tire out your hands like the Lee.

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

People may call me crazy but I prefer to manually prime on the Lee Classic Turret press. I’ve used a hand primer and felt no advantage whatsoever. Handling each piece of brass once to prime and again to put it in the press eats up any possible time savings. The handle on the Lee can be adjusted so that you can wrap your fingers around the closest post, and thumb around the handle, and the tactile feel everyone always waxes on about is at least as good as (if not better) than the hand primer. I take the primer package upside-down on the bench by the press and slide the sleeve back one or two rows and lift up. The primers now sit evenly spaced apart ready to go. While my right hand is picking up a fresh piece of brass to inspect and place in the shell-holder, my left hand picks up a primer and places it in the primer arm’s cup. No time is lost at all. So far, this is the most efficient (and probably the safest) method I have found.

Mike W1
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 19
      • Overall: 21

Long ago I bought a Dillon SDB for my .45 and have had good luck with that priming system. Don’t shoot enough of the other handguns and rifles enough to justify another press for them though. I have a Lee Autoprime II that gets the nod for the other chores and have been satisfied with it. It”s permanently setup on one of their little C presses. Have the older Lee handheld hand primer but never particularly cared for that. Just used some Cabela points for another little Lee C press that’s probably only gonna be used with the decap die. It’s a sad state of affairs when you’re getting old enough that you can’t find “something” you need anymore.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 71
      • Overall: 76

I use the Lee Safety Prime for all my handgun cartridges, on a classic cast turret press. Haven’t tried the new fangled tray yet, and hopefully never will have to as I heard ungoodness about it.
      Rifle cartridges, I prefer the RCBS hand primer. Being a creature of habit I bought extras of both styles just in case……

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I agree. The feel you get with the Lee classic is excellent.
      Unfortunately, it’s not my favorite press, and I like to ream the crud from the primer pocket before priming.
      I would really like to find a hand primer. Looks like the RCBS Universal is the best out there.
      I look at what Lee did to their hand primer and I wonder if that company got bought out by a bunch of idiots who never heard of Murphy’s law.

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

Tim, I agree with ya on your assement with Lee. I’ve never been a fan of their gear and have been accused as a Lee basher a time or two. That said, the old round Auto Prime model from some years ago was a good one. Far TOO MUCH plastic and potmetal to suit my taste, but it did work. But wore out too quickly due to the afore mentioned materials.

In studying all that is available today, if I were to entertain the idea of a hand held automatic priming tool my research points toward the same offering from RCBS that you’re looking at. Appears to be the best that’s being offerred today. Either way, I hope you find a suitable tool for your needs. (Big thumbs up for encouragement)

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I wish somebody would remake the original Lee hand primer, but make it out of solid steel. I’d spend large on that.

Far be it from me to bash Lee. They have more design moxie in their little finger than the rest of the reloading equipment manufacturers combined.
      Lee’s designs are pure magic, nearly all of them.
      The problem is that they use CHEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAPPPP materials and their stuff often wears out fairly quick.

The hand primer is an absolute tragedy. They had it PERFECT at the very beginning. Best priming tool ever devised by man. Then they went and started changing it. The stuff they are putting out now looks like it was made by a different company. They must have hired a new engineer fresh out of school.
      I wonder what happened?

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

I really loved the original Lee handprime until I pushed the end off of it. I bought a replacement and went back at it until the end came off of it also…
      Now the majority of all I do is on a Dillon RL550B. If I’m trying different primers or just loading a few rounds, I use the Lee Classic Cast press.

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Goodsteel;n9513 wrote: I don’t mind the bench model except I’ve already got the ram prime and it works fine for rifle loads.
      Its the pistol rounds that are giving me grief. There’s a big difference between loading 20 30-06 and cranking out 500 44 magnum.

Sounds like you need a Dillon progressive (or other good brand) for all that pistol ammo. I set my Dillon up every January and load pistol ammo in all calibres until all the brass is charged and the weather warms up. Shoot it all spring, summer and fall, and then load again in the winter.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Scharfschuetze;n9568 wrote:

Sounds like you need a Dillon progressive (or other good brand) for all that pistol ammo. I set my Dillon up every January and load pistol ammo in all calibres until all the brass is charged and the weather warms up. Shoot it all spring, summer and fall, and then load again in the winter.

There is iron in your words for all to hear.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

RCBS universal here, only regret I have is that I did not buy 2 so I would not have to switch between large and small primers.

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Goodsteel;n9513 wrote: I don’t mind the bench model except I’ve already got the ram prime and it works fine for rifle loads.

With the 100 primer capacity tubes for the RCBS bench unit, you can prime just as fast with it as the hand held models… with a lot less strain on the hand and forearm muscles.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

I’ve also used the RCBs bench tool for many, many years. For small lot’s of cases I use the Lee hand priming tool (all 3 designs) and occasionally a Lyman 310 tong tool.

Prior to getting the RCBS Bench tool I used the priming arm with auto primer feed that came with the loading presses I used.

I started out using the Lee Loader priming method. Popped a few primers with that before I got the feel when the primer bottomed out in the pocket. Popping a primer sure startles the bejesus out of you!

Larry Gibson

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

RCBS hand priming tool allows me to watch TV and prime up several hundred or thousand cases at a time

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I was just loading and priming 35XCB with a Lee loader last week Larry. I love that whole system. Slow as dirt, but very effective.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Well I have a TV in my reloading area so I can do the same while loading hundreds if not thousands on my Dillons let alone priming thousands with the RCBS bench tool…….. :rolleyes: (doncha just love one upmanship……..;))

Larry Gibson

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

So I started out with the RCBS Jr press with it’s priming arm and tubular reservoir – worked well, wanted more speed and got a Bonanza bench unit – it is not as good as the older Lee hand prime units (of which I have 3 or 4 now). I’ve used the Dillon tubular and having seen one blow vertically (thank god for good engineering and it’s blast shield). Decided to continue to reload off the Dillon.

I bought the Newer Lee hand prime unit (square primer tray) and tried it once and put it back in the box and went back to the older Lee unit – at the last gun show I picked up a RCBS universal cheap (it was missing parts) got ahold of RCBS customer service and they sent me the missing parts for FREE (got to love ‘OL GREEN’) so I’m just starting to use it and I like not having to find/rob the shellholder for the priming operation. Wonder if we could get a price quote from Randy Buchanan on making a steel and aluminum copy of the Original Lee primer?

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Larry Gibson;n9627 wrote: Well I have a TV in my reloading area so I can do the same while loading hundreds if not thousands on my Dillons let alone priming thousands with the RCBS bench tool…….. :rolleyes: (doncha just love one upmanship……..;))

Larry Gibson

LMAO

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Artful;n9629 wrote: Wonder if we could get a price quote from Randy Buchanan on making a steel and aluminum copy of the Original Lee primer?

That is a simply brilliant notion. I’ll contact him and see.

BeeMan
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 3
      • Overall: 4

Started out priming with the arm on an RCBS Jr press. Bought and used a Lee hand primer for several years (round tray design), eventually adding a second so I could have dedicated large and small primer copies. When one link wore and the thumb lever broke on another, I tried the square tray updated Lee design. It works fine for me though some say feel is not as nice. Progressive load priming is done on the press.

Doc44
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 36
      • Overall: 37

RCBS universal, 1 for each size. Not the best choice for 480 Ruger (case a little too big) but it can work.

ZmanWakeForest
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 115
      • Overall: 135

I have 4 of these! I have never had an issue with any of them!

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Sooooooo 45-70 is a no go?
      Good to know. That’s a deal breaker.

dragon813gt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 79
      • Overall: 84

Goodsteel;n9555 wrote: I wish somebody would remake the original Lee hand primer, but make it out of solid steel. I’d spend large on that.

The originals were a better quality alloy. But it also had screw on shell holders and no tray to feed the primers from. I’m assuming you’re talking about the round tray models and not that one. I own every version of the Lee hand primer and they all have their quirks. I don’t like hand priming so they sit in the toolbox. Along w/ one from RCBS as well.

I prime everything on press. On the 550B I have to load tubes which I hate. But the priming system works every single time. On the LCT and LCC I use the safety prime. I know exactly how to work it and it will feed all but the last three. This is due to no weight on the column. It is what it is and it’s easy to see how many primers are left. I either add more if I’m loading more. Or I hand feed the last three.

I really really like the Safety Prime. Dump 100 primers in, shake, attach to press and start priming. I wish there was a way to fill primer tubes quickly. I’ve had two vibra primes and both were returned because they didn’t work. I spent to much time trying to make them work. The Dillon primer tube filler is quite a bit of money and I don’t need that type of production. I started to modify an old Lee round tray(I can hear people getting angry) to feed primers into a tube. That would be the ticket if you ask me. Dump primers in tray, shake to flip, and then tilt to feed them into the tube. It would happen to be fast as well. One day I will get around to making it work. Have to build a small and large so it’s two projects I don’t have the time for :confused:

Robroy
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 8
      • Overall: 10

You tell em Ten Bears

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.