Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      mountain4don
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 39
      • Overall: 50

When I got bitten by the “cast lead bullet” thing maybe 20 or 25 years ago, I ceased shooting all of those jacketed bullets that I have. And through this period of my life, people kept dyeing of old age and their spouses and friends kept giving me their stashes of jacketed bullets since I was the only one they knew that reloaded. My wife’s stepfather gave me several bulk boxes of Sierra bullets for instance. I have a 50 pound box of Sierra 175 grain #2275 hollow point boat tail MatchKings. So the question comes up, what should I do with all of these? Well, I came to the conclusion that I better start shooting them just to get rid of them. In my Sierra manual they say these #2275 bullets were designed for the 7.62 NATO match guns. So I pulled out a bunch of 7.62 NATO brass and started loading. Since I was also trying to get rid of a very old can of IMR-4064 that my brother gave me after he bought a reloading outfit from the wife of a club member that had died, I started with that. Unfortunately the only 7.62 NATO rifles I have are an FR8 and another Spanish looking Mauser that was converted from 7mm Mauser, and a M1A semi-auto rifle that I hate to shoot because it throws away all of my brass. So, question is, what other rifles will these bullets work in? I have a couple of lever action rifles that wouldn’t work. But maybe a MAS 36/51 in 7.55 x 54 French, or 30-40 Krag, or 30-06? And what about powders and loads for these?

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

I would shoot those 175 SMKs all day long in my 30-06 over 46-48 grains of 4064. They are excellent bullets (I’d buy them from you if you were selling). Have fun.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Build a brass catcher. 2×4 frame about 6′ high and 4′ wide with base to keep it upright. Hang an old sheet in it loosely. Brass hits it and falls to the ground. I even put the bottom end into a box so the brass falls into it. Doesn’t work well in high wind.

mountain4don
      Participant
      • Bronze

Rattlesnake Charlie;n13285 wrote: Build a brass catcher. 2×4 frame about 6′ high and 4′ wide with base to keep it upright. Hang an old sheet in it loosely. Brass hits it and falls to the ground. I even put the bottom end into a box so the brass falls into it. Doesn’t work well in high wind.

What a great idea! I recently built a shooting bench in my barn so I can now shoot out through the open door down across the field to my 125 yard target. And I have a wall immediately to my right and right behind me to hang that sheet on. No more lost brass from the M1A or the AR’s. Thanks Rattlesnake Charlie

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Welcome. The sheet must be loose. If tight the brass will bounce right back at you.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Man, I feel so bad for you, it seems only right that I help you with your problem. Let me give you my address………..

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

I’ve accumulated a lot of jacketed bullets over the years also along with a good amount of milsurp ammo. I’ve decided to start shooting them as I ain’t getting any younger……

Larry Gibson

mountain4don
      Participant
      • Bronze

Larry Gibson;n13302 wrote: I’ve accumulated a lot of jacketed bullets over the years also along with a good amount of milsurp ammo. I’ve decided to start shooting them as I ain’t getting any younger……

Larry Gibson

I am approaching the same conclusion. I have reloaded a lot of ammo more than 20 years ago for special purposes and it is stored all over my reloading room in old ammo cans and in my gun safes. Maybe I should get that old Hornady Projector press, unused for the last 15 years, back off display on the back of my reloading bench and put some 308’s and 30-06’s and 45 ACP’s and etc. through it and set up my casing retrieval system and get busy shooting before all the grandchildren get handed this mess. So, now for suggestions on powders for the 308’s for that M1A I will start with 4064 and 4895 and do some more research on good loads and go “play” with all the guns. Are these 175 grain hollow point boat tails good for any sort of hunting? Like maybe coyotes? Or groundhogs? But not deer?

mountain4don
      Participant
      • Bronze

Goodsteel;n13299 wrote: Man, I feel so bad for you, it seems only right that I help you with your problem. Let me give you my address………..

This conversation has prompted me to get out all of these boxes and bags of old, tarnished bullets and see if they will hit anything when I shoot them. But I found out why I have so many of them. The guy I got them from lived 25 miles South of the Sierra bullet factory in Sedalia, Missouri. And my stepson works in Sedalia. And my grandson is living with us while he attends a local university and drives through Sedalia often. I haven’t asked him to check out the Sierra Factory Outlet store yet. Boy, I better run up to the gun store and see if I can get a couple 8 pound jugs of IMR-4895!

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

If you’re like me, you have dozens of boxes of bullets that are not full. And all different flavors. I just need to load them up for blasting ammo for when the relatives are here. Not enough of any one bullet to make it worth working up anything for accuracy.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

mountain4don;n13303 wrote:

……..So, now for suggestions on powders for the 308’s for that M1A I will start with 4064 and 4895 and do some more research on good loads and go “play” with all the guns. Are these 175 grain hollow point boat tails good for any sort of hunting? Like maybe coyotes? Or groundhogs? But not deer?

4895 is an excellent powder for the 175s in a gas gun, THE classic powder actually. In milsurp cases use 40.5 gr if H4895 and 41.5 if IMR 4895.

In bolt guns you can work up to 42.5 gr if IMR4895. Better yet is to use the 4064 there with good commercial cases (Remington, Winchester or Lapua) working up to 44 gr from 41 gr in 1/2 gr increments.

Sure you have the time…….I can dispose of all that for you……..no wait……..I’ve got my own to shoot up……….;)

Larry Gibson

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.