Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      az-jim
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 36
      • Overall: 45

Ok like the title says…
      What is your go to or favorite hand priming tool and why?
      I have a couple of the 1st gen lee cheapies with the round tray, that they no longer sell replacement handles for. I’m on my last one so Im in the market for a new tool. I dislike the RCBS tool, too much work to go from large to small plungers or vis versa.
      This new one caught my eye the other day, but it is not in stock anywhere yet. http://www.btibrands.com/product/perfect-seat-hand-primer/?mobile=true
      The retail price is a bit high but Midway had it advertised at $64 whenever they get some in. The s/s unit from Sinclair is obviously a Cadilac but I doubt I will ever pay $100 for it.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

I’m like you and still love my old Lee – I did buy a new one with the square tray but not a good as the round one.
      Check out some of the gunshows and the old Lee’s still show up as old stock sometimes.

You might check ebay as well – see two listed currently but not good shipping price on the one.

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 134

I’ve got a couple of the old Lee auto primes with the round tray, but I find myself using just a press mounted Lee ram prime most of the time.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

VANN;n4296 wrote: I’ve got a couple of the old Lee auto primes with the round tray, but I find myself using just a press mounted Lee ram prime most of the time.

Totally.
      When my Lee hand primer broke, I grabbed that “janky POS” ram prime as a way to get me through till I decide which new hand primer to buy. Well, months went past, and I found I purely love that method!
      When the Lee ram prime finally died, I ordered the version from RCBS to replace it.
      The RCBS was not as nice as the Lee because even though it was made of better materials, the way they intended it to be used was different in that you have to leave the ram at full stroke and feed the primers in through the shell holder. I made a custom holder for the RCBS stems, and modified the shellholder dock, and now it works just like the Lee, but is made of really nice materials.
      Just did a bunch of cases with it yesterday, and I love it.
      The part I really like about the ram prime method (RCBS at least) is that you can tune the primer seating depth to your brass, and it’s astoundingly consistent.

DaveInGA
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 44
      • Overall: 50

The Frankford Arsenal unit above is a Midway brand and they’re the most likely to have it when it comes on the big boat from China.

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

Hornady – only one I have and it works fine.

seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 64
      • Overall: 72

RCBS is what I use.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

RCBS universal hand tool is my baby. When I went looking I spent near half a day reading reviews, noting numbers of poor reviews.

Lee had the most of both lovers and haters.

Rcbs universal was the only one I found that had no bad reviews, no problems. It is the most expensie of all the hand tools I saw at around 60$. But it has worked flawlessly for 3 years now. No shell holder messing around. If I want to do 1 brass of each cartridge i shoot no problem.

Only have to switch between large and small primers.
      Wish I’d bought 2.

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

I use the RCBS bench mounted unit for most of my rifle priming needs. It’s reliable, gives me a good feel for the seating pressure during the process and small and large priming stems can be changed out faster than it takes to talk about it.

I do use the Lee hand priming tool from time to time and find it easy to use with good results.

Kevin S
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 58
      • Overall: 72

I also use an OLD RCBS hand held priming unit. But the new bench mounted Lee hand primmer looks interesting.

farmerjim
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 25
      • Overall: 25

RCBS hand priming tool.

Doc44
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Overall: 37

RCBS APS hand priming tool. I love the primers in strips and universal shell holder. I bought 2 so no switching sizes.

rockrat
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 23
      • Overall: 26

I use the lee hand primer (round tray). Had a couple and when discontinued, picked up some more at gun shows.

jedomejd
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 18
      • Overall: 19

RCBS hand primer. It’s 25 years old and still works fine

Str8shot426
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 12
      • Overall: 13

I have the Lyman hand priming tool. It came with a large and small primer tray. No complaints yet… it works.

afish4570
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 9
      • Overall: 11

Str8shot426;n4385 wrote: I have the Lyman hand priming tool. It came with a large and small primer tray. No complaints yet… it works.

When the Lee Ram wears out and you can’t seat a primer all the way…..I take a thin strip of aluminum from a soda can about a 1/2 ” long put alittle automotive chaiss grease on both sides and trim to fit on top of the worn ram…..Takes alittle fussing but this lasts a long time and can be reshimmed and greased as required. Greasing the original part makes it last longer too.I too have a couple have picked from various deals when buying other reloading stuff. afish4570

az-jim
      Participant
      • Bronze

I did end up finding another handle so I still have a backup for a while. I will have to look into the ram prime setup. Although Dad was never to enthused with the idea so we never did them that way. He didnt believe that you could get a good feel for the way the primer seated with it which I understand.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

RCBS… hands down in my opinion.
      Although I’m sure there is just as good out there without the lifetime warranty.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 6
      • Overall: 6

I agree with Goodsteel. I love my ram prime on a lee reloader C press. Gives me great feedback and control.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

On my 2nd Lee hand prime now.I like them.Did have a problem with some old BR4 primers that must be a tad on the fat side.The ram prime got them all the way seated though.That been my only problem with the hand prime.May change my mind when I have to switch to the “new” square ones

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Scharfschuetze;n4331 wrote: I use the RCBS bench mounted unit for most of my rifle priming needs. It’s reliable, gives me a good feel for the seating pressure during the process and small and large priming stems can be changed out faster than it takes to talk about it.

I do use the Lee hand priming tool from time to time and find it easy to use with good results.

Exactly what i use.

Larry Gibson

uncle jimbo
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 21
      • Overall: 26

I still use my old round lee hand primer. Had it long time. Hope it never breaks.

az-jim
      Participant
      • Bronze

Hhmmm……
      I just had a thought about this. If someone with a CNC wanted to make a few bucks……
      I will model one up in Solidworks and If I get a couple at no cost I will provide the cad file to program off of. Start throwing some billet replacement handles out there and have at it. What do you think?

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.