Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

A decade or so it seemed like it was going to become an AR compatible cartridge more suitable for deer than the 5.56/223. Now, I seldom hear of it, and people are using the 5.56/223 for deer more all the time. I know the availability of controlled expansion bullets for the 5.56/223 has improved dramatically, but it still seems a 100 gr 6mm bullet would be a better choice. I know there are many new cartridges being used in the AR platform, but most require more than just changing out a barrel.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I don’t know about stinkin black rifles, but I have built several of these in bolt actions (one for our very own BjornB). It’s a great little round. Its main problem is the fact that it’s a 6mm, and the only way you’ll get the rifle to function with ammo from an AR magazine is to stick to bullets that are short and light, and that precludes all the ones that you see written about all the time and winning matches etc etc etc.
      However, it’s a great little round for takeing out medium sized game, and it’s CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEP to shoot. Small 6mm bullets are dirt cheap.
      Works great in a Remington 700.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

A 25 is actually on my wish list but at the rate I’m going with the wish list it would need to be tossed in discust and probably hit me in the fore head .

Bodean98
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 103
      • Overall: 111

I built one on a 700 Remy not long ago. 22″ Douglass SS 10 twist barrel. Shoots the 60 gr. Sierras very well. You could take out a spatzie at 100 yds. with every shot! Gave it and 80 rounds of ammo to my father as a housewarming gift. The old fart will probably never shoot it!

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

A while back I bought a Mossberg Predator in 5.56 NATO, a rifle that takes AR-15 magazines and that I figured would be a great walkaround gun for small game. However the rifle didn’t shoot worth a damn, and soon it went in the safe and stayed there.

When Tim started talking about wanting to do a 6×45 the Mossberg immediately came to mind, and after some discussion it was decided that a Krieger 1:8 twist barrel, in a varmint profile, would be the ticket.

Here’s the rifle just before being shipped from Tim’s shop:

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Shilen offers a AR-15 barrel setup

By the way Bjorn had a chance to fire that Mossberg yet?

OOPPS just checked Shilens site looks like they aren’t offering the 6×45 in the AR barrels anymore.

oldblinddog
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 110
      • Overall: 114

If I was going to do that, and I considered one back in the 80’s, I would go with a 6.8 SPC in a 700. Remington had an SPS version in the catalogue several years ago but I don’t think they were ever made.

Screwbolts
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 97
      • Overall: 101

I want one badly but mine will have a 1×14 twist barrel to shoot the NOE 245-75 FN boolitz. I have a Mini Mauser that is just begging to become a 6×45.

Ken

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

It was a very popular BR cartridge back in the 70s. The PPCs killed it in that game. I played with it a bit back, j bullets though.

Larry Gibson

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

I have two Rem 40-XBBR in 6×47
      Great shooting guns 🙂

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

Sarco has barrels w/o extension for 55 bucks if you want a cheap experiment.

Doc Highwall
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 131

The 6×45 is a good cartridge in the T/C Contender without a magazine restriction, and better yet is the 7mmTCU. With the 6.5mm Grendel cartridge it works great in the AR platform, and I think I saw someplace that somebody necked it down to 6mm.

I have the 6mmBr in both pistol and rifle configurations on the Encore frame, and a Remington 40X also. This gives me a lot more power, but I have to use a non military case which is more expensive.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

I found the Houston Warehouse interesting to reread as in brought back the memory of the Remington BR bullets. We also used those along with Sisk bullets and the Speer 52 gr Speer .224 HP Gold Match bullets in the .222 Rem and 6×45 Remington M40XBRs we had back then.

Larry Gibson

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.