Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Darren McCann
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 15
      • Overall: 19

Good evening,

Well, Mother Nature is getting one last “kick at the snow shovel” so to speak before we are done for the year. Several inches of wet slop…..

I have been sorting several 1000 boolits that I cast a couple weeks ago. I visually inspect them first, any turds go straight into the “Mulligan” box to be recycled. Then I use a lighted magnifying glass that clamps to my bench. These are sorted into 3 places. Mulligans, good and perfect. The good will have a slight flaw, like a tiny wrinkle or a very small mark. The perfect I then sort into weigh; First I average 2 random batches of  10 boolits, set the balance scale to 1/2 grain less that the average. I then have a heavy pile and a light pile. I then mark the light pile with a Sharpie Marker on the nose. The heavy pile I weigh each and again sort according the light and heavy. I will typically end up with ~250 light noses marked, ~150 lightest of the heavy group, ~150 next heavier and finally ~400 next heavy and a very small amount ~20 that a really heavy. The difference this time between the light heavy and the ~400 heavy was .5gr the heaviest 20 were more than a full grain heavier. In the past I would tumble the good culls in Alox thinned with Mineral spirits. These would be used for light practice loads during winter at 40 yards indoors. The boolits that are light/med heavy(keeping them in the appropriate groups) I lube with BAC and GC with annealed aluminum checks. The heavy from this, NOE 30XCB 5 cavity, these are the centre 3 cavities. I lubed with 2500 and will be using both annealed aluminum, annealed copper and regular copper checks. The heaviest 20 I plan to lube with 2500 GC and see if they shoot to a different POI than the rest.

After all this preamble comes my question…

One of the guys I shoot with on a regular basis asked to have all my good culls to lube and use. I have a large, over 500 TL, ready to load already. So I don’t really need them. Does this happen to any of you? And how do you handle it?

Darren

PS….The 5 cavity rifle molds from NOE make a pile of boolits 😎

Glenn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 222
      • Overall: 265

Have you tried shooting any of the culls?  They might provide acceptable accuracy for plinking… What is he going to be shooting them in?

If anything you might charge him for the cost of the materials…

I tried some heavily wrinkled bullets in my 9.3×57 Mauser and was really surprised at how well they shot.

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

Darren,

There’s a lot of time and effort involved by the time one finds out there’s a dull in the pile.  So, it’s up to you with regards to your range buddies.  It becomes apparent who’s a true friend and who’s a leach.

As far as the culling process, what made an endless chore into a breeze was the purchase and utilization of a small inexpensive electronic scale.  I’m old school and tend not to like battery powered gadgets, but an electronic scale is the way to go when culling projectiles; cast or jackets.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 73
      • Overall: 86

Get your Buddy to come over and help you cast for a afternoon tell him he can keep the culls for that day

He just has to pay for the cost of the materials.

Just a thought –first time caster there might be a lot of culls, and he might or might not be back.

Darren McCann
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 15
      • Overall: 19

Thank you to those that have replied.

With pistol boolits I have a set reply. I give dollar for dollar value for WW’s and other lead. Here a bucket of WW’s cost $35.00, so they bring a bucket they get $35.00 of pistol boolits. Which is about 15 pounds. The club guys I shoot with are quite happy with this arrangement.

I haven’t decided about rifle boolits yet. Because he is asking for the very slight imperfection culls, which I have shot with TL and various shotgun powders ~1100 FPS and they will shoot 4 and 6 inch gongs at 100 yards. They went into less than an inch for 10 shoots at 40 yards inside, so they will shoot.

I guess I was looking for a solid reason for a Yea or a Nay. I will give him a 100 or so with some load advice and see if he asks for more……

Darren

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.