This topic contains 14 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  reloader762 3 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
     Taco Bill 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 12
    • Overall: 17

Can’t make up my mind which color I like better.
    I’m kind of drawn to bright colors.
    Different colors for different powder charges in same caliber so I don’t get them all mixed up and forget whats what.

And, since I have a weird sense of humor, I’ve decided to color code bullets for different shooting situations.
    Green or neon yellow for Zombies. 308, 6.8 spc & 45acp
    Mirror red for sissy boys, because it looks like lipstick, 45 long Colt
    Pink for other sissy boys, because it goes with their powder puff look.9 & 380

The physiological aspect of a pink bullet brings a new perspective of getting shot.
    A tough guy in prison telling his cell mates he was shot with a pink gun that had pink bullets and shot by a woman.
    I can only imagine the laughter.

Of course I’m just kidding, well maybe.

Anonymous
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 123
    • Overall: 129

HF red is the only color I have used so far. It does the job but isn’t very pretty. I just ordered a sample pack from Smoke. John Deere green, Carolina blue, traffic orange and clear. Can’t wait to try them out.

chutesnreloads 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 161
    • Overall: 165

Only used black and white so far with some mixed into different grays.Plan on getting some other colors from Smoke.Idea is different colors for different alloys.

Taco Bill 
    Participant
    • Bronze

I think I need to check out Smokes page.
    Can’t get HF yellow to coat worth a darn.
    HF Red works better, but as you said, I’m not too fond of finished color.

I got some Powderbuythepound red and it works darned good., almost a candy apple red .
    I just ordered some Mirror red from PBTP looks like bright red blood.
    Will post some pics when I get a chance, and if my memory starts working right

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

I’m still getting around to trying Smoke’s colors he sent me. Time is at a premium around here.
    I have used his Blue, and it makes lovely bullets.
    Other than that, I have done a LOT of bullets with my original order of powderbythepound Kawasaki Green. It is a superb DT powder, and coats very evenly, and it’s so bright and different, it gets a lot of looks at the range.

farmerjim 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 25
    • Overall: 25

Smokes blue and green coat best for me.

Taco Bill 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Different colors tend to work better than others evidently.
    Still beats the heck out of messing with mule snot.

What I was wondering was, with all the colors available and different calibers we each have, how do you choose which color to use and why.

chutesnreloads 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 161
    • Overall: 165

I started with super durable wet black from powder by the pound simply because a lot of folk said it dry tumble coated well with one coat(it does).Got some white also with the idea that lighter/brighter colors would help spot lead to recycle from my range.The white doesn’t cover so well with one coat and between abrasion and dirt the color hasn’t really helped that much spotting pieces of lead.As far as choosing color?Next up will be red because the wife said she thought it will look cool.I plan on using different colors for different alloys but really have no preference which is what unless some show they do a better job than others.Before PC came along I wouldn’t have chosen a lube because of the color but because it worked better.See the PC the same way.

Taco Bill 
    Participant
    • Bronze

I have some Mirror red that looks like blood.
    Starlight red that looks like candy apple red.
    Love em both.
    The neon yellow and neon pink are kind of different but look good.
    Yellow for zombies and pink for light loads

Kevin S 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 58
    • Overall: 72

Like all Coaters I started our mixing colors just for the buuty of it. Lately I have been color coating as a form of bullet identification.
    Say I am casting 311466 today. But my endgame is to have 3 BHN hardness levels. Hunting / Target / Cat sneeze. All bullets are hardened in whatever way is necessary and colored with different colores. Then my storage boxes are labeled with bullet style-color. So I can even store different bullet uses in the same box and not get them mixed up when I go to use them

reloader762 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 80
    • Overall: 95

I started coating around a year ago doing my handgun bullets first an them a few different rifle bullets to test out later. I have one of the HF PC guns at it works well with all the powders I have and it definitely does a better job when using the HF Yellow and Red. Most recently I put the PC gun away and started tumble lubing my bullets using the black air soft BB’s and it works great with Smoke’s powders and a few I got locally at a PC coating business for free. The HF powders do ok with the TL process but not quiet as good.

Here are some I did with the PC gun.

Here are some various bullets I did using the TL process and messing around with the different color mixes.

bangerjim 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 5
    • Overall: 6

Technicolor is nice, but…….they all go splat on the other end! I use any color I have and do not worry about designer colors. HF red + HF yellow + Smoke’s blue and you can mix any color on the color wheel! I do.

Don’t get concerned with the color. Worry more about the coverage and smooth coverage and NO LEAD showing thru on the tops of the grease bands.

bangerjim

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Truth. Plain and simple^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

slim1836 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 62
    • Overall: 65

I kinda like my patriotic .45″s.

reloader762 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 80
    • Overall: 95

Those turned out nice,I did a few of my 200 gr. SWC in Zombie Green for the 45 Carbine this past Friday. I’ll be running a couple hundred more through the old toaster oven next week after work as it’s to dark when I get home to do anything outside around the house.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.