Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

Many moons ago – (before marriage) I took a post 64 Winchester Model 70 to a local gunsmith in Oregon – I told him I wanted a swap barrel rifle on the action using a 22-250 and 30’06 barrel I provided – the specifications where no barrel vise or receiver wrench to be required. He came up with the savage barrel nut on my build with a spanner wrench that went into the holes drilled into the nut. I used it for it’s purpose – had a 20x lyman All American scope that mounted with the 22-250 barrel and a Tasco 3×9 for use with .30’06.

Could take one rifle case and depending upon what game was found have a great time either shooting ground squirrels or larger game animals. Well when I got to Arizona it sort of sat in the safe – no love for it for quite a while. Now it’s pushing new frontiers again.

I have added some new items to the case (Magnum bolt body – swapping firing pin assembly between the standard and Magnum) – 300 Win Mag barrel, 243 win sporter barrel, a couple of 308 barrels on long and one short (both rechambered with same reamer). So I’m playing with scopes for it now and found it lacking in the original configuration to get me to 1K targets.

So I ham handed the scopes I had but only just wrecked a Barska, a Wotac, and I dislike my NcStar because it’s not tracking true (sort of a requirement for long range).

So I put a 20 MOA base on it and have found an ebay buy on a Millett 6×25 56mm scope with 35mm tube and lots of adjustment – awaiting delivery of scope, rings and Anti-cant level to try it out.

The plan is to get things going good with the longer barrel with jacketed – then attempt to get some H&G 170 spitzer cast up and try my luck with cast.

If that works I may try some other molds like the NOE 247 blackout mold.

Anyway – That’s the project for this year – oh and I picked up a NOE 35 XCB molds so am on the look out for a .358 barrel with right twist and have that chambered in standard 358 WCF.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Interesting please keep us posted.
      Hopefully the ebay Millet will be in good enough shape to meet your goals.
      Sounds like a neat setup Art

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Nice rifle! You just can’t beat the model 70, and it’s my opinion that while the post 64 is different, it gave nothing up to the pre 64 in accuracy, ruggedness, or function.
      That rifle with it’s integral recoil lug is better suited to a switch barrel than any rifle with a movable lug.
      For budget scopes that track, I do recommend a Vortex. Once you try one you’ll appreciate it.
      If you feel like pushing things one day, try getting a 1-16 twist 30 cal, and chamber it in 30-06. That’ll put you on 2900FPS like white on rice and paper plate and a glass of milk.

Also, if you havn’t tried my 30XCB bullet, I’d be glad to send you a care package.

For the 35XCB, there are several things going on right now. First, I found the RPMTH to be about 2600fps with that bullet in my Shilen Palma barrel. I’m wondering if a slower twist is required. bjornb is having me build him a switch barrel mauser and one of the barrels is a JES rebore to 35 1-18 twist. That should be an eye opener for sure.

(edit to add) Nice mold! I’m looking forward to test results. My first thought is that the pointy nose will hinder the speed you can get, but then again, it’s not sticking out there very far is it? Nice lube grooves too. That will be interesting, so please let me know what you get!

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I got that H&G mold back in my Sillywet days for use in T/C Contender 14″ 30-30 – it did real well for smacking steel at distance.
      When I’m ready for cast trials in my 308 barrels I’ll take you up on that care package
      – The barrels in 308 are different one is a 1:10 twist Remington AAC 308 barrel and the other is a take off barrel
      from much used competition rifle with 1:12 – had a couple of inches removed from it – then had my local smith rechamber both
      with the same reamer so they have pretty close to the same chamber so I don’t have to separate brass.
      And I’m hoping loads will be the same.
      – I’ll keep my eye’s peeled for a slower twist used barrel – or if I hit the lottery I’ll see about a new barrel.

I do have a Vortex 2.5×10 scope but at 1K range I need more magnification to see the target well.

I was looking at a Kronus on ebay when the Millett popped up with out a reserve and It was a known good scope to me.
      It’s what I am using on my 243 so should be a winner with swap barrel.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

So found a few pictures of the before I started working on the swap barrel – at this point it’s wearing it’s 22-250 barrel and I know that because I have the 20x Lyman All American Scope mounted
      each barrel (22-250 and .30’06) had it’s own scope and the weaver rail system allowed it to return to zero when swapped pretty well.

Close up of the action – you can see the Savage type locking ring – a spanner goes into the holes on the ring without removing it from the stock so you can change barrels in the field.
      The Actions I looked at for this project – Savage, Ruger 77, Winchester Pre-64, Mauser, Remington actions, each turned down for one fault or another.

Choosen Action Post 64 Model 70 Winchester for the project.

Reasons
      – flat bottom and recoil lug intergral with action like the Ruger or Mauser, so stiffer than tubular Actions.
      Strong Bolt design and handles escaping gases well, No cone or extractor cuts required on the barrel.
      Safety allows locked firing pin but able to work the action safely unlike some others looked at.
      Able to field strip much of the bolt without tools, much like the Military Designs.
      Proven, simple trigger that is easily adjusted to get excellent release.
      Magazine in receiver is long but magazine boxes available to adapt to short cartridges as well although found short rounds feed fine in ’06 box.
      The receiver is threaded for 1″x16 which with machine work will take all standard and magnum post 64 barrels even 223 barrel If wanted
      as well as with a little work Remington take off barrels. Which are also 16 pitch threaded.

Basic Post 64 Bolt Action (Model 70/670 Winchester/Sears)in .30’06 was purchased on very plain stock.
      + additional 22-250 barrel was purchased, Giving Varmint Caliber and game caliber up to Elk size animals.

A gunsmith was employed to make into a swap barrel rifle.
      Instructions were given to make it so no need for barrel vice
      or take receiver out of stock or to have to put in action wrench
      -IE swappable in the field and headspace adjustable.

Gave examples with C.E.”Ed” Harris Remington project rifles and savage swap barrel rifle articles.

Barrel Threads that screw into the action were Lengthened to allow a Barrel Nut to adjust/lock head space on each barrel.
      Like the Savage swap barrel rifles the Nut requires a tool and a spanner was made for the barrel nut designed.
      Spanner made so as NOT to need a barrel vice/receiver wrench and could get a purchase on holes in the nut
      with barreled action in the stock. IE more holes in the locking nut.

The Plain Wooden sporter stock was inletted for barrel Nut with enough extra room to unscrew barrel and lift off provided that you have enough room between scope and barrel. Just Loosen the Barrel Nut then start unscrewing the barrel holding the nut stationary in the stock.

Once the barrel is unscrewed from the action you can lift the barrel w/ nut on end up and out of stock with scope clearance.
      Otherwise you have to remove the scope. Using weaver mounts which rezero pretty well.

A 20x Lyman All American was fitted for Varmint Hunting and 3×9 Tasco for Big Game Hunting.
      Each Held Zero between barrel changes enough to stay on a game animal.

Additional Barrels were purchased over Time.

.243 Sporter takeoff model 70 (Dual Varmint & Medium Game)

.308 Remington AAC 308 factory muzzle treaded 5/8×24
      (rim at chamber end needs to be turned off and threads reduced to Model 70 diameter and lengthened)
      This barrel dimension will fit in existing sporter stock.
      Unfortunately the 1×16 threading die was purchased but not able to handle the Remington threads which are Over .090″ too large.
      So had to be put in a lath and the threads redimensioned and lengthened and the barrel turned down to get the nut on it.
      So much for the dream of just buying take off Remington barrels and running the die down it.

.308 Model 70 takeoff Long barrel from another long range shooters takeoff.
      Which is Longer and Larger diameter barrel and will require an additional stock clearance as sporter channel too thin.
      The barrel was fitted with 5/8×24 threads at muzzle to accept Suppressor. (Candidate for cast boolit 1000yd project)
      And Shortened at the chamber end and a reamer rented and both the Remington take off and this barrel rechambered with the
      same reamer so that I don’t have segregate brass to each barrel.

A Bolt Body in Magnum Cartridge Size purchased w/ ejector, spring, pin and Extractor, Spring and retainer pin.
      (No firing pin assemble was available at time of purchase so just swap existing firing pin assembly between std and mag bolt bodies.)

Picked up a Stainless 300 Win Mag Post 64 Takeoff and extended the threading on it to go with new Magnum Bolt.

Oh, and modified the stock a bit with the help of my friend F4D.

Still Need/Want to find larger bore barrel .358 preferred as I have a lot of molds in that size.
      Thinking 358 WCF or 35 Whelen , but I might go the the Goodsteel long neck XCB design.
      I’m look at various barrel makers and green mountain has some pretty good prices.

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 256
      • Overall: 296

Have the same exact mold you show and does it ever shoot in the .308 !!

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Well, something interesting
      – I’ve been swapping parts and stuff
      – so the other day I unscrewed the short 20″ 308 Remington AAC barrel and screwed in 243 barrel
      – no problem
      – when I went to swap back to 308, I thought I’ll put on my longer 308 barrel.
      Well it screwed in part way then got real obstinate.
      I have thankfully mostly out grown my get a bigger hammer days, so I stopped to try and figure it out.

This Rifle has had this barrel on it before and worked fine, but I have changed some stuff on it
      – I put the 20 MOA base on it when I put on the shorty barrel and that’s where the problem came from
      – the holes for the bases are drilled all the way thru and tapped, well the screws that came with
      the 20 MOA base are a little too long as it protruded into the threads just a tad.
      Not enough to bother the two barrels I had tried, but the long 308 was enough “fatter” in the threads
      that I had to take the base screws out and hit it a couple of licks on the end with a file.
      Interesting times.

Now to try and sight it in with this Millett on the longer barrel.

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 256
      • Overall: 296

Paying attention to the little details often makes the difference in success !!!!

OK , so what happened ???

😀

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Don’t know yet, got to try some factory and J-word handloads on Tuesday up in cool Prescott with my friend.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Well, with the used but shortened and rechambered stainless barrel – it was holes overlapping holes with factory or my FMJ handloads
      the Subsonic wasn’t giving quite that good with the new 155 SPBT Plated South African bullets but decent.

For some reason I can’t get the pictures out of my phone, but anyway looks good enough to cast some trial boolits and give it a go.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.