This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Harter 1 month ago.

• Author
     Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 789
    • Overall: 859

My house is now 9 months behind schedule , instead of me and Dad working little gigs it’s me flopping around like an fish on a hot sidewalk because Dad’s gone now . The move was supposed to find us with easy job sources and plenty of work ….. Yeah about like keeping the peace at a Hells Angels , Mongols convention …… Clanish doesn’t really do justice as a description but it is as polite as I can be . I get it though I grew up in a small town and it takes 10-15 yr and a lot of new friends to settle in and get to be a Towny …

So the cement guys have irritated me now and I’m pretty much done with them too . Having built most of my life I know what it takes and frankly I just didn’t want to pour the cement . $5,000 in labor has changed my mind and resulted in a design change of the house . Just like that I saved 20 yd of cement and I can finish it in just 3 little 7 yd pours myself . It will of course also take another 14 sacks of quickcrete but at a savings of $5000 dollars it made buying a personal sawmill a good deal also . After a little bit of math the mill should pay for itself someplace between the stairs into the loft , now 3′ shorter and the frame work for the kitchen island .
    Dad fortunately got into wood work after he arrived here 8 yr ago so I have a planer , surfacer , jointer and several routers to work the finish stuff make T&G and shiplap . This should be an adventure . We have a facility to force dry the rough sawn for basic framing and the sub floors and roughly 4300 trees per acre on the 9 wooded acres of my 11 . I can’t really get my head around actually having oak everything exposed because it the most available wood ….. Lots of pine too but it’s probably 40% oak ….. Might have to KD a load of lumber to haul out west .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us