Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

The garden is starting to produce squash. Tomatoes have blooms, but no fruit yet.

Zucchini and Yugoslavian Finger Fruit.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Missed this thread! Sorry RC!

Very nice produce!!!

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Missed this thread! Sorry RC!

Very nice produce!!!

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

58 pounds of squash so far. A 13 lb White Scallop Squash pushed that total up. The deer are eating the blossoms as well as the squash. They just eat part way through the flesh on the top side, then move on to something else. I’ve probably already lost 20 pounds to their nibbling.

White Scallop Squash
      50 days. A very ancient native American heirloom squash, grown by the northern Indians for hundreds of years. This type was depicted by Europeans back to 1591, and one of the best tasting and yielding varieties still around today! Great fried and baked. Flat fruit with scalloped edges beautiful!

White Scallop Squash

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I’m jealous!!!

Congratulations on a great season!

(Now how many of those can you get in a flat rate box? Har!!)

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

That 13 pounder would barely fit in a large flat rate box. That would be like $1.50/lb.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Got home from work yesterday and saw some large white crumbs. Upon closer examination it was the remains of one of my white scalloped squash. Previously, the deer had only been nibbling a bit on the outer skin and maybe a little of the flesh. They must like this variety. They ate the whole thing. They sure are terrorizing me this year even after I put out cayenne pepper and coyote urine. They are town deer, and just not too shy. I think I’ll try rhbrink’s repellent:

Crack two eggs into the blender with some water and blend them well. pour the mixture into a two gallon sprayer, and finish filling with water. you do not have to let the mixture “go bad”.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

what about a little 22 magnum deer repellent?

Venison and squash for breakfast anyone?

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I’ve got suppressors for both my Walther P-22 and 5.56. Tempting, but it might not only be a setback to getting a hunting license — more importantly my security clearance. That is directly tied to my paycheck. Walking on the right side of the line ain’t always easy. Next year, maybe I’ll just go fishing every weekend, and blow off the gardening. I’ve also heard that deer do not eat hops. Maybe I’m trying to grow the wrong crop. I understand that some brewers pay a premium for high altitude hops. I’m at 7,400 feet. I’m gonna have to think on this. I sprayed egg last night. I’ll post in a few days how it is working. Pray for me to resist temptation!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.