This topic contains 10 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  oldblinddog 2 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
     MTtimberline 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 37
    • Overall: 40

I decided to start a new thread so I wouldn’t hijack bjornb’s and avoid distracting the intent of that discussion. I have recently taken an interest in the Weaver T-series scopes old and new. It seems that there could be enough interest in discussing these scopes. I was wondering if anyone has had these scopes tuned up and what their experiences are, good and bad. I’ll post my original post below.

MTtimberline 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 37
    • Overall: 40

Has anyone had experience with sending old Weaver T series scopes to Optical Services Company? What better place to send it to than the guy that designed it? What benefit, if any,does having the old ones blueprinted have over new products? Basically steel vs aluminum tube models.

I have a Weaver T36 xr that I recently purchased on clearance from Midway and I had been very impressed with. By going this route I have been able to purchase multiple scopes for different rifles instead of the one Leupold for one rifle, which was the original plan. Thanks to all of the suggestions and experiences from the members of this forum that guided me with my scope buying considerations. The only thing I dislike about using the T36 scope is the mirage as was mentioned. I must say I have really taken to fine cross hairs once I got used to them when shooting paper. Taking a chance on Weaver with the T36 has caused me to look into them a little farther and I like what I’ve read about the micro-trac. It looks to me that with the T series you get excellent repeatability but sacrifice a little on the glass. You can’t have it all, right? I have also purchased a used steel tube T-16 at a very good price with the intentions of sending it in for blue-print service for a total price that is well under the $500 mark. By going this route I give up the warranty that comes with a new purchase. I figured that the 16x is about the right magnification to avoid so much mirage. Usually when I get an idea I just have to try it and find out for myself even if it is a failure, which is can be a valuable learning tool. I have yet to try the T-16 so I might just send it in and start fresh after the blueprint service, since my time is very limited at the moment. That way I will know what I have and it is cleaned and ready to go. If this experience turns out to be a good one, I am already considering other Weaver T series in other powers.

I have had many of my own experiences and frustrations with broken and failing scopes of brands I have sworn to never use again. I’m also interested in knowing the reliability of the T-series. My opinion so far is that they are a solid and dependable product for the price level, but still have their possible issues. I have been satisfied so far for the money spent.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

I will echo your experience exactly. So far so good.

As to mirage, when it’s really boiling (and that does NOT require a hot day to make it do so) even 8X is too much. A few days ago, I was shooting iron sights with a cold barrel and I could see the mirage on the target over the irons. It was only 75 degrees outside! Using the T36, you have terrain mirage to deal with, but barrel mirage is a real issue too, and one that seems to crop up with every range session. I’ve litterally watched my shots string across the target as the barrel heat got worse (shooting a light barrel contour). Best fix for this is a section of french blind vel-crowed to the barrel. Make it curve up, not down. This makes the heat waves waft around your line of sight and close above it.

Its a difficult scope to work with for shooting at 100 yards (even though it is rock solid so far) and I can see why it is a preferred optic for small bore BR shooting at relatively close range.
    The parallax adjustments are spot on (unless you wear glasses like I do because the lenses in your glasses changes the parallax) and repeatable.
    The 1/8 dot retical is very nice and the dot is literally half the size of a 30 caliber bullet hole at 100 yards.
    The adjustment knobs are truely 1/8MOA and they have very positive clicks that are very nice, and the target knobs are easy enough to move that you can do so without upsetting the position of your rifle. This allows you to shoot a group, point at your POA, and then, without disturbing the rifle, move your crosshairs into the center of the cone of fire, then proceed with shooting a group in the center of your POA.

All in all, a great scope. However, if they would make the same thing in a straight 10 power, charge me another $100 and put that towards internal quality, I would be all over that like tire tracks on road kill.

As it is, I’m thinking very hard about springing for a SWFA SS 10X as my next purchase. That scope seems to be all that and a bag of chips, and several people I respect very much who are committed to their US Optics and Scmidt and Bender glass say they wouldn’t hesitate to strap that scope on their rifle and go play hard with it. Just read the reviews:
    http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10×42-Tactic…cope-P499.aspx

oldblinddog 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 110
    • Overall: 114

I have two T36 scopes, both of them on .22 rifles and dedicated to USBR competition. Both are new to me but I bought them because I observed top competitors using them on their rifles. I am also considering a T24 but if I could get a new T10 I would buy it in a heartbeat!

DeadWoodDan 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 80
    • Overall: 91

no experience with them, but did consider for my Sav. M12. If I didn’t get the used Vortex Viper I purchased then the T36 would have been in my budget. Also as Tim stated have read good things about SWFA optics.

Only thing I do know, is that I read so much about FFP vs SFP it gave me a headache and only way to know what you will require or like is to shot with both of them. Sorry not part of this topic.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 503
    • Overall: 553
    • Gold

I have original Weaver T-6, T-10 and a T-16. They all track perfectly. Love them and wouldn’t part with them.

Larry Gibson

Velocette 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 8
    • Overall: 10

I used a T 24 with a custom 0.25″ dot for smallbore prone competition mounted on a Kimber 82g and then on an Anschutz 1813. The adjustments were good and repeatable and the scope never gave me any trouble. It was replaced with a Leupold 25X fixed power scope to obtain better glass and a clearer sight picture. The difference is noticeable and does make a difference to my aged eyes.

Scharfschuetze 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 190
    • Overall: 193

I also have 1970s era T Model scopes. Both the T 6 and the T 10 have given sterling service with repeatability of adjustment and good parallax adjustment. They were a real game changer on my varmint rifles of the mid 70s giving me a much more convenient package compared to my Unertal and Redfield 3200 scopes. Both have a fairly fine cross hair reticle which has been very good for prairie dogs and bullseyes at long range.

My only complaint today with them is that the lenses were not coated to the extent that we are used to today. If I were ever to send them in for an upgrade, I’d consider a mil dot reticle for the capabilities that it offers. In reality though, they do everything I need them to do and they’ll probably get passed down just as they are.

Calamity Jake 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 5
    • Overall: 5

I use a T36 on my 40X BR 22 every friday morning in a friendly(until you seat down to shoot) fellowship shoot.
    I have one NIB in case this one goes down.
    I shoot with a guy that has had his bumped up to 45X, says he likes it. But I out shoot him most of the time.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 789
    • Overall: 873

Like the OP mentions I would like to find some of the T- series mainly to sit as back-up in the event of service,
    Although I would prefer the older version not for any other reasons than a preference, not performance issue. The erectors usually are the issue with being precise depending on manufacture date, some could just use a touch up. At some point I’ll smack the loose change jar and fund one or two of the T-Series.

When you locate some of the Old Redfield they usually track well too and do a pretty good job returning to zero thus far in my experience. The newer one usually do a good job for today’s quality standards (stick with Revolution series they are made on the Leupold line).

oldblinddog 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 110
    • Overall: 114

Well, I didn’t get a “new” T-10, but I did get a KT-10 with a 1/8 moa dot reticle. I have yet to shoot with it. Also, found this website http://ironsightinc.com/index.php?route=common/home for those that need the service. Reticles are on the Redfield page.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us