Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      eeyore
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 22
      • Overall: 26

Anyone using a brush and an old school double edge razor?

What can I say, I’m cheap. The blades run $0.10 a week and the $1.04 Williams soap last about 2 months. So I’m spending about $12 a year to shave. A Gillette Tech razor runs $15 or so off ebay. Best shave I ever had.

Yea I know about beards, wore one for decades. But SWMBO likes my face, did I mention she’s needs glasses.

Waksupi
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 106
      • Overall: 112

I use a safety razor. I found a place online that I got 100 platinum blades for $12 delivered. Much better shave than any other method I’ve found. I use my home made soap.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I’ve gone back and forth over the years, but when I married Angie, she made it clear that she believes a man should have a beard, and I was all too happy to comply. Occasionally, I have trimmed my beard down to a goatee, but at this point, I have decided to stick with a full beard for the duration. Besides, at this point the blue collar, long hair, beard and black hat have become trademarks people know me by.

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

Straight razor here with the associated mug & brush. Will use an old Gillette double edge safety razor or a Schick Injector razor if pressed for time or the effects of that last stroke causes my hand to be unsteady.

redriverhunter
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Overall: 47

I have been using with the brush and mug for years and have been shaving with bic disposable razor, as of late I have been using a safety razor as my work schedule is 4 on and 4 off, on the off days i do not shave. The safety razor is great for for knocking down the days of growth. I have to say the shaving mug is great, I have never liked shaving cream never seemed right to me.

eeyore
      Participant
      • Bronze

That’s one thing I like about the double edge too. It doesn’t clog up like a cartridge on a few days of whiskers.

I got a hankering to try a straight razor. Need to do some studying on that first.

Waksupi got any pointers or websites on making shaving soap?

Waksupi
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 106
      • Overall: 112

eeyore;n14980 wrote: That’s one thing I like about the double edge too. It doesn’t clog up like a cartridge on a few days of whiskers.

I got a hankering to try a straight razor. Need to do some studying on that first.

Waksupi got any pointers or websites on making shaving soap?

I don’t make anything special, just my regular recipe, using lard, olive oil, and coconut oils. Don’t ask me for proportions, It varies each batch. I make enough to last a couple years at a time, and couldn’t put my hands on my basic recipe at the time.

Labradigger1
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 16
      • Overall: 19

Been using double edge Gillette with soap and boar brush for at least 20 years. I’m in my mid forty’s now. What can I say, I’m cheap.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

I know I cannot grow a beard that looks decent, goatee maybe, but not a beard. Sometimes I grow a scraggy beard if I meetup with a new date. This has worked out OK for me a few times. Sooner or later the girl tries to ask me to shave my ugly beard, and that is my open door. I then ask her if I shave my beard, then I shave her beard in return.
      A HOT lather shaving brush & razor is not a sex toy……………..but, it can be !!!!!!!!

eeyore
      Participant
      • Bronze

kens:

I’ve always had a preference for 2 kinds of women. Well, in reality I should be honest and say it seemed two kinds of women had a preference for me. Hippy chicks and cowgirls.

Back then hippy chicks did’t shave and cowgirls only did when we went out on a date. Ended up marrying one of the former. I kind of like hair on the usual shaved parts town women clean up and the traditionally un-shaved parts as well. .

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

My beard is a love hate relationship . It took till I was 35 to fill in the bare places it’s always be soft to the touch by morning and impossibly hard on razors .
      I gave up an bought miniclippers about 15yr ago . The 3 day look is hip , Ms likes it , my girls don’t care and the dog would probably bite me if I cleaned up all slick faced .

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.