Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

This was in Handloader 307 that I just received.
      After my article “Reduced Rifle Loads” appeared in handloader No. 306 (February 2017), Hodgdon contacted me with new information. After considerable testing, they recommend against using IMR-4895 for reduced loads, suggesting only H-4895 and Trail Boss. – John Barsness

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

In a post I made some time ago, I was looking for a list of all the powders we know of that can be used in reduced loads.
      We know bullseye, the Dots, 2400, trail boss.
      But, there must be others.
      What are they?

What are the ones known to be avoided?

airmanbasic
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 5
      • Overall: 5

10 grains of Unique is useful in just about all my bottleneck cases. Dare I say a “universal” load.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

Did they give you any clue “WHY: it is ok to reduce loads for the H flavor but not the IMR flavor?

Personaly I have used the IMR 4895 for 2 reduced loads, 7.62x54r Mosin went down to 20 grains and stepped back up to 28.
      7.62×39 in SKS, tried 20 grains behind Lee .312 185 gr gas check and the SKS loved it and I went no further.

Have had zero issues with either. Is this a possible liability issue? Or just Hodgen trying to take market share from IMR?

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

My experience over many years dating back to ’68 using all the 4895s in reduced loadings with cast bullets suggests the problem is one of consistent ignition. H4895 simply ignites and burns more consistently at lower pressures in reduced loadings. However, I have also found the use of a Dacron filler negates that problem. Still each powder must reach a certain psi level before it burns consistently. H4895 does that at a slightly lower psi level than the other 4895s, even with the Dacron filler. In some smaller cartridges such as the mentioned 7.62×39 or the 45-70 if using a cast bullet of sufficient weight for the caliber the 4895s will burn consistently at some pretty reduced loadings without the Dacron filler.

Given the amount of IMR4895 I have running out and buying H4895 (I already have an 8 lb jug anyway) and Trail Boss is not going to happen. I have a very good supply of Dacron and intend to blissfully keep right on using reduced loads of IMR 4895 in my cast bullet loads………regardless of said warning.

Larry Gibson

reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 80
      • Overall: 95

I bought a lb. of IMR-4895 late last year with full intentions of using it in my Mosin rifles with reduced cast lead loads. Later on I decided to switch to the H-4895 version because of it’s reduced load abilities and have been happy with the results I’m getting at 1700+ fps. with the Lee 185 gr. bullet. Thats not where I’m stopping at I just haven’t had the time or weather to load up my next batch of test loads to see just how far I can push it. The IMR-4895 didn’t sit on the shelf long as I’m burning it up in the SKS rifles with 160 an 185 gr. cast bullets with excellent results. Trail Boss is a fine powder for it’s intended use by with all the other powders I have like Bullseye,2400,Unique & RedDot it’s never going to be a powder I have a use for.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

Thank you Larry, that makes sense now.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.