Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 77
      • Overall: 87

I just got a box of 2500+ WCC 9mm brass and I need to swage the primer pockets. Does anybody have a Dillon super swage with the small primer swage rod I can borrow? I will pay shipping and a refundable deposit. If so, shoot me a message.

bullet maker
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 76
      • Overall: 88

Isn’t there an adapter needed to swage 9mm primer pockets?

Screwbolts
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 97
      • Overall: 101

Never used a Dillon on 9mm and never used it again after I tried using the Hornady primer pocket cutters. I simply chuck the cutters up in old Atlas lathe and hand holdfeed the brass case cutting the crimp from the pockets. They may work for you, I have done many thousand large and small primer pockets with them.

Ken

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I just aquired a new ish RCBS I’d lend you . I just did a pile of small rifle about a week before I found this 1 with a VLD hand reamer .

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

noticed a few on ebay Dick, price did not seem too high, I would recommend putting some on watch.
      Sorry don’t have a Dillion or any other brand otherwise I’d be shipping to you.
      Normally I use the Lyman primer uniformer and a 45 degree chamfer tool and do it by hand …. but your quanity yeah I’d be looking for the swage tool too.
      Best of Luck wish I could be more help
      Mike

bullet maker
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 76
      • Overall: 88

I have one I can lend you.

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze

False alarm gentlemen, but thank you for the advice and offers!! I got to digging around in my box of dies left over form the move and found not 1, but 2 rcbs press mounted swage sets. That is what I used last time. Talk about a DOH!! moment, lol. On the upside, I have a free RCBS press mounted swage system for the first person who calls dibs.

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 134

I call dibs, but I’d rather buy it from you.

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze

Shoot me a PM with your address and I’ll get it in the mail in the next week or so. Sale price is $1.00

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 134

Thanks Dick!

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

For the record, I believe the RCBS to be superior to the Dillon in this case. The fact is, Dillon has a stem that goes inside the case and pushes the web against the swager. This SEEMS superior in theory, and I can see how the engineer convinced his boss to tool up and make them, and it works great most of the time. However, many military cases have a very bad flashing where the flash hole was pierced, and that stem on the Dillon will often bend that flashing right over the hole, partially obstructing it! I had a batch of LC that I had to go through an entire flash hole uniforming operation just so that I could use the Dillon swager. 🙁

Now, as it happened, I was planning on using this brass for some target rifle loads, so it was a wash in the end, but the RCBS tool at least gives you the option.

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

Goodsteel
      I usually swedge first then debur the flashhole ..in deburring I start from primer end first then inside .. eliminates all those issues

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze

The swage rods in the RCBS press mounted set up are cupped. The pressure is applied around the circumference of the primer pocket from the inside of the case. The only advice I can give is to measure the swaging nub to ensure it is not out of spec. My friend swaged a mess of brass and was confounded why his primes would seat super loose. Measured the spud and it was out of spec on the large side of the spectrum. RCBS took care of him though.

Once I get these swaged it’ll be on to sizing and then trimming. The RCBS electronic case trimmer makes this a survivable experience, lol.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

The one thing I have noticed with either RCBS or Dillon is that depending upon mfg you have to separate and readjust you swaging apparatus

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.