Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 64
      • Overall: 72

I have a Howell conversion cylinder for my Uberti Walker. I wanted to load some light loads for it as I am sure the loads for my Blackhawk are far from appropriate. I have a Lee 255 grain mold and a Lee 230 grain 45ACP mold. I have Unique and Bullseye on hand. Any suggested load to start with that will punch a hole, kill a snake, and not hurt the Walker?

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

Six grains of Unique

seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze

Which bullet?

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Yep 6 will poke a hole 8 is up almost to the top end of standard Colts .

seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze

255 or 230 grain?

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Either . I believe most of my books show 8.5-9 as a maximum for standard Colts with 255s . That’s a 14kpsi load .

doc1876
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 51
      • Overall: 61

why not use black, and be safe all around, the manufacturer should be able to shed some light on a load for the cylinder.

seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze

I got tired of cleaning black. The manufacturer says “cowboy loads”. They assume I am going the store and buying them. I don’t know a manufacturer that would recommend reloads.

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

6 grains of unique and any of the cast boolits you have there
      Mike

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

Same load I use in a Ruger Old Army I bought that had a .45 Colt conversion cylinder with it. 6gr Unique is perfect. Skeetx is 100% correct:)
      Just hadda stick a smiley face in there!

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Harter;n15999 wrote: Either . I believe most of my books show 8.5-9 as a maximum for standard Colts with 255s . That’s a 14kpsi load .

Um…excuse me but that is an 18,000 psi load…….

Larry Gibson

seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze

18000 sounds too high for a walker conversion.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I’ve thought that too but the books all say it’s a low pressure load ………. No pressure gear . I just have to work with the books or go too slow to get hurt ….. 60 gr of BP with an RB isn’t a light load .
      Speer data shows​ Unique for Colts at 7.8 for 250 Gold Dot and 9.5 for 250 LSWC . Current data but no pressure data . The Colts SAMMI is 14kpsi . Depending on the source Ruger only loads go 23-25kpsi and many of those don’t leave me all warm and fuzzy even if I’m shooting them in a Ruger and a 454 capable . That Colts data also recommends 1,6 inch OAL .
      Data for Schofield shows 5.2 max for 231,HP38 and tight group with a 250 LRNF.

My 69′ Unique at 8.5 gives 870 in the 7.5″ RBH . I’m told that’s not possible . It barely makes​ 1000 in the carbines .

My suggestions are from tested book data and multiple sources if they are in error that’s why we suggest folks check against mutiple sources .
      I’m also good about letting folks know when I’m out in the weeds .
      ​​​​​

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Harter, you gave good data for most 45 colts, but what we are chatting about is a black powder percussion revolver with a centerfire conversion.
      So best to work way light and see if that meets the need.

In addition, I do quite a bit of 50 foot indoor shooting (every Wednesday morning) and the light loads are lots more fun to shoot indoors.

I save the horseradish loads for wild game and survival stuff.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I explored much of this before I decided the conversion was more than I wanted for what I would get for a Dragoon .

​​​​​​i defer .

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

My #1. 38Spl is a Colt conversion of an 1860 Army by Ubreti. A Richards & Mason with a 5 1/2″ barrel. Being an open top frame, and despite being made of new material, I don’t push it. Absolutely nothing above standard .38Spl loads EVER go into this weapon. If I want to go hot, that’s why I have a.357Mag mod P. And to be just one step closer to total safety, I don’t load ANY hot .38Spl loads either so there’s no way to get it wrong.

The Ruger Old Army is a stout framed BP weapon but I still load it with 6gr Unique and a 230gr RN. That’s still a potential varmint stopper be they 2 legged or 4.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Ok so I did what I do when I just don’t know . I ask someone that does …….or at least should that I TRUST . (Sometimes that requires them to tell me that’s a terrible idea and refuse to hold my beer 😉 🙂 )
      That said I got a hold of Mike of Goons gun works . He makes a second living , aka breaks even occasionally , in the tuning and conversion cylinder tuning of the entire pre 1873 Colts family and 1858 clan and cousins .
      “For Kirst cylinders anything off the shelf for 45 Colts except Buffalo bore , even the standard 1000 fps stuff .”
      I recognize that this is the official CYA and doesn’t address the question of hand loads it does give some enlightenment with lots of dark corners .

seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze

Mine is a howell conversion cylinder. Not sure if that applies but i would bet it does.

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

It’s a matter of frame design and construction primarily with cylinder construction being second. Open top BP frames guys. Battering of internal mechanisms, pressure exerted against the arbor and barrel wedge. These things take their toll. Be smart and shoot light. Your pistols will thank you for it.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.