Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Apparently good things come to good people or maybe folks feel sorry for me ……

Either way a fellow came into a bunch of moulds and says “Rich gets firsties then y’all kin rassull’ over what’s left” . So I pick 3-4 , couple of singles for a 6.5 because that 270-140 NOE won’t chamber in the 264 yet and it should make a fine sub or heavy in a 6.8 SPCII . He slipped up on the 458122 Gould HP I dibbs …… Oh well I have 12 45 Cal moulds and with the first 4 I ought to be able to get some sort of groups 45-70 so no biggie really ….

The real trick is when he says ” I’m sending them out to just send me a check for whatever you think their worth” ……
      That’s rough on me ,I got no problem with knocking $100 off the tag at a hock shop for anything in the gun rack and everything else 75% is a good starting place and usually the end of the haggle.
      I know the 266??? singles are $30-40 with handles maybe a little more for a unique piece . It’s the 257312 4C that I’m having trouble with , I have no idea what its worth . There aren’t any for sale except 1 that didn’t sell and 1 that went well beyond what I’d pay and not this particular mould design . Doubles go under $50 . A new NOE is $100 ….
      So what’s fair ? Presuming that the mould is in good shape of course . $75 ,90 , more ?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I figure any iron mold with no rust or defects is worth $75.

If it looks hard used but still servicable: $50.

Used Lyman handles or RCBS are worth $25 each.

That’s what I would pay in your situation.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

It’s description is little use , no rust , with handles . But ,but , but ,it’s a old out of production 4C by appearance actually rare design . CB only has it come up in the search in about 80 posts as far back as 09′ . It only comes up with about 20 hits on Google and only a few more via dog pile ……
      Itll be in hand shortly , so then I’ll know I guess .
      Follow ones conscience I suppose .

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 71
      • Overall: 76

What it is worth to you is what you would be happy to pay for it, if you feel what you would be happy to pay isn’t fair, send it back with a your thanks. Your friend obviously trusts you, but that trust in no way obligates you to pay more than you are comfortable with.
      Your final sentence speaks volumes, well worth listening to.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Unfortunately this is a rare occasion when my head and heart have about 50% difference of opinion . Either would tip the balance if there were a value guide .

It’s a little like buying a 98 Mauser in 7×57 vs 275 Rigby , what’s a Mauser worth , well umm not much more than an action with the barrel loped off an inch in front of the band and hacked off the butt for a recoil pad but it’s priceless when engraved by H&H stamped Rigby with a Italian sounding walnut straight stock .

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Those molds look nice and well cared for. Looking forward to results.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.