Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

It always seemed that every time I placed an order for reloading supplies I always somehow forgot to add a set of 7.62x54r dies to the cart before checking out. Only to remember a few days later, of course. The frugal side of me simply would not allow me to pay shipping on just the one item immediately after having paid it on another order from the very same place. So I started wondering…I drug out a reloading manual and looked up the specs on the 54r case versus the .308 Win case and saw that they were even closer in dimensions than I thought. But the 54r case was a little too fat to use a 308 Win full length sizing die. OK, so how about just neck-sizing? I had a Lee Collet Die and I imagined the clearance around the body of the case would be enough to allow the fatter case to enter while the neck was being sized. The neck was slightly longer on the 54r, but that wouldn’t really hurt anything. Heck, if a short portion of the neck didn’t get sized, I wouldn’t need an expanding die–WAIT A MINUTE!!! I thought to myself, “Why not do this with all my collet dies?” I’m an amazing curmudgeon when it comes to brass life, and not working the part of the case where cracks usually start would be a logical step. So, here is the modification I made:

The amount protruding leaves just enough “flare” to cover the gas check, which is about where I want it. Just take off a little at a time until you get it where you want it. I used a lathe, but a sharp drill bit with a shallow-angled tip in a drill press would probably work, though you may need a ring or hose clamp around the collet to keep it from spreading. Even grinding or filing the end back would probably work, but you may lose some bearing surface on the taper and you would not have a smooth taper on the transition between the sized and unsized portion of the neck. Hope this helps, gentlemen. Load on, and prosper!

Jordan Holland

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

This is brilliant. Very well done!!!

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

Thanks, every once in a while I have an idea that actually works!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.