Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Glenn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 222
      • Overall: 265

After reading Harter’s post the other day about a small inexpensive Bore Scope, I searched on Ebay and found one for $13.89

I downloaded the CameraFi app to my phone, plugged it in and it worked.

Here is the bore of my Howdah.

An inside view of the muzzle brake of my 45-70 Contender barrel

and the bore of my 45 Colt Contender barrel

It has an attachment with a mirror to look at 90 degrees, but the focal length is too short. Β So I’m going to see if I can find a short piece of tubing to extend it out a little way and see if that works.

The only downside so far is the CameriFi app has advertisements on it πŸ™

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I almost bought one of these instead of the Hawkeye borescope (very tempting because the Hawkeye is pushing $900).

The right angle mirror was the thing that made up my mind. Hard to believe I sold my sidearm and bought the Hawkeye just for the sake of a chip of reflective glass in the right place, but I had to have it. I can’t take pictures of what I’m seeing in there, but its like a microscope that looks sidways in a 22 caliber hole. I use the Hawkeye to for things that most people have no use for like measuring the concentricity of the throat, precisely measuring the twist rate, etc etc etc, but I have to say, what you have there looks like it will take care of 99% of what a gunsmith uses a borescope for. I may buy one just so I can show pictures!!!

Right on Glenn. Pretty durn awesome.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

That looks like the same unit I have .
      I didn’t mean to start a revolution . It’s just that there have been a few times that I really wanted to look at a spot that there was just no way to get a look at .

Side track story but related to the tool .
      As an A&P I was doing an R&R on a cylinder on a TC56 Beechcraft .
      541 cid turbo charged 385 HP , hard on valves . Horizontally opposed 6 cyl , so basically a gigantic 6 cylinder Beatle engine.
      Anyway I don’t remember now if I was picking up after the tear down or setting up reassembly but I fumbled a base nut and as if drawn by a magnet it went into that 5″ hole where the con rod was sticking out ……… A flexible magnetic pick up tool did the job but in hindsight I sure would have liked to have seen the whole inside . It took me an hour to fish my dropped nut back out but I collected 3 more nuts , washers , safety wire bits , and a cotter key . The cylinder base nuts are a close tolerance flanged nut in this case in 7/16 and 1/2 inch . Made me wonder what else was floating around inside the engine and down in the oil sump .

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

I’m A&P also.

I saw a Lycoming drop out a magneto. I removed the magneto to find it’s drive gear not there.

We removed the oil sump, and found the gear in the bottom, untouched!!!!

How it got thru the accessory drive train unmangled was a real surprise.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

How does the Lyman bore scope measure up? I want one, but don’t want to overpay.

Glenn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…

I’ve never used the Lyman, sorry.

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

For us retards with out iphone or evilB/Amazing accounts, any inexpensive ones that work on a computer?

Glenn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…

The one I bought is supposed to work on a computer with windows. Β It has a short cable to connect the USB cables. Β I have not tried it on mine yet.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Β© 2017Β Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.