Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      kungfustyle
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 22
      • Overall: 27

I know you guys know if this is a good idea or not. Lyman lists Unique for just about every rifle out there. And adi-powders lists Universal within 5% burn rate of Unique. Ed Harris lists 7 to 8 grains of a shotgun powder as a good start for load development in military rifles. I’ve also read that the 10 grain of Unique is the load for lots of rifles with cast bullets. Would 8 grains or so of Universal be OK as a 100 yard load + or – a grain or two for 30 cal to 8mm Mauser’s? What is your take on this. Thanks, Jeff

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

I would have no problem shooting the load you describe above. However I would try to get chronograph readings for loads shot with untested powders, just to be able to compare them to known loads (most CB manuals have the Unique loads and also the velocities).

Since both Red Dot and Bullseye have load data published and since they are both faster burning than Universal you can deduce that your load is safe, and with the spped known you can start working upwards until you hit good accuracy.

(I didn’t think you had any powder left after I took the 100 pounds off your hands last year!)

kungfustyle
      Participant
      • Bronze

Thank you for the input Bjornb. Its good to hear from you. I was wondering if those powders served you well?

Newt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 40
      • Overall: 43

I have been wanting to try Universal in this application for a long time. I would for sure start lower than the same amount of Unique. In all my shotgun/fast powder load development, when there is nothing listed for a round, I have never gone wrong when starting low. Hodgdon does list some data for their Clays which is similar to Red Dot I believe.

kungfustyle
      Participant
      • Bronze

Red dot is listed as within 5% of Clays on adi-powder’s site. I just got a 4 lbs of Universal for my pistols and thought wow wouldn’t it be great if I could use this like Unique with less than 10 grains of powder for a 100 yard target load. 4759 is no more and I have 4895 for my rifles that I use for jacketed loads. 10g vs 30 is very tempting, especially for a hole in paper.

JRR
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 84
      • Overall: 107

I have used 11 gr. of Universal and a 200 gr. bullet in the 8mm Mauser. Very accurate and great for new shooters.
      Jeff

Newt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 40
      • Overall: 43

I hear you. I stocked up on Unique a while back for this very reason. I try everything I can to get Unique to work for most of my shooting, only looking at other powders if I am chasing accuracy. With its scarcity I have been eyeing Universal for a replacement. I dislike having a lot of different powders sitting around.

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

I find Universal and unique very similar . As stated before Unique is slighty faster ..but as always work up .. Think you will be pleased

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

kungfustyle;n3026 wrote: Thank you for the input Bjornb. Its good to hear from you. I was wondering if those powders served you well?

That truckload of powder was a treasure trove. I traded some of it (mostly pistol powder) to Dick for rifle powder, still have lots left. Best powder deal I’ve ever done. You the man Jeff.

kungfustyle
      Participant
      • Bronze

Glad to hear it. Dale (the guy that I sold the powder for) gave some fantastic deals.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.