Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

An interesting article that shows empirical evidence of the effect of twist rate on accuracy with heavier bullets.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

That’s simply delicious. Well done!!!

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

Great article Charlie. Thanks for posting. I also enjoyed reading a castpics article written some time ago by Beagle and Felix: Cast Bullets in the 44 mag rifle: an exercise in frustration
      http://castpics.net/subsite2/ByCaliber/Cast%20in%20the%20.44%20Magnum%20Rifle.pdf

This article (and now also the RIFLE magazine article) made a believer out of me, so much so that when I came across an 1894 a few months ago for a hundred bucks, I sent it to Tim the same day along with money for a Shilen 1:20 barrel.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Slow twist rate in pistol caliber carbines has hampered anyone from using bullets any heavier than the middle of the pack. A buddy’s Rossi .357 would only shoot the 358429 if it was near full throttle. And, it was unstable by the time it reached the end of a football field. For the majority of owners who only shoot light to mid-weight stuff, they’re happy. And, that is a lot considering the cowboy action shooting crowd. I opted to go the .45-70 route. Those artillery rounds are stable further than I can reliably hit anything.

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

I cannot argue with the 45-70 route. It’s my daily walkaround rifle when in Alaska (short barreled Handi). The 44 mag rifle project is one of those “because I want to see what it does” things.

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

My Rossi R92 in .357mag has the 1:30 barrel. I settled upon the RCBS 140gr RNFP “Cowboy” bullet and things settled down. Ideal 357446, 358429, and similar bullets all tumbled, shot wide, and were just flat out lousy. The RCBS, however, shoots tight and right.

I also have a Rossi model 92 16″ with the big loop made in 1985 that sprays 429421’s all over the place, even at 50yds. I mean a 3′ group! Switching to my old 232gr Boser design SWC, and if I do my part, will damn near cloverleaf at 100yds off sandbags on the bench.

Worst was a 1980 Browning B92 in .44Mag. That one nearly got bent around a tree and thrown into a lake! Was so glad I was able to trade it off. Beautiful weapon that shot like crap. Typical of what the industry palms off on us with the slow twist that is so wrong. ….

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Interesting that your 16″ Rossi shot that heavy bullet at all when it would not shoot a 358249. Just goes to show that each rifle has their own personality. That 232 gr Boser design SWC might offer hope for other’s troublesome carbines.

I recently acquired a beautiful replica 73 Winchester by Cimarron Arms in .357 mag. I’ve not yet tried much in it. Their website says they have a twist of 1:18.75″. It doesn’t like SWCs. They will feed if you go slow. Otherwise, they’ll catch and require you to try feeding it again. Always seems to work on the second try.

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I had mistakenly forget to state the short Rossi is a .44Mag levergun. The old Boser SWC is ridiculously accurate in my 4″ M629 and many of the loads tried in the Rossi with the Boser design shoots and feeds so well that I’ve abandoned all other castings in .44Mag & .44Spl. and use it exclusively.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Rats. I was hoping that you had discovered the magic “heavy bullet” for Rossi .357 rifles. It would appear that the only solution is replacing the barrel.

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Or buying a RCBS 140gr RNFP “Cowboy” mould and shoot your stock barrel with great accuracy. It was also stupid accurate with a Lee 125RF but the mould was junk and fell apart. However, the RCBS 140gr delivers the goods with both the rifle and my pistols. Can’t wait until the next hog blunders into my woods and into my killin zone with the Rossi and that bullet.
      The shorter version in .44Mag of course is a given going even faster than my 4″ S&W, that old Boser SWC would blow a hole big enough to read a newspaper through. It’s the .357mag Rossi I’m looking to bloody first with that 140gr RNFP.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.