Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 28
      • Overall: 37

I’ve been slowly working on a sporterized M1884 Trapdoor to make it a carbine replica. When I got it the barrel was cut to 26″ and the stock forend was cut shorter than a carbine. I have since obtaining the rifle added a piece to the forend and cut the barrel to 22″.

All that’s left to do is crown the barrel and add a front sight. I’ve been looking at crowning tools from a company in my state. They have a large radius crowning tool, looks like it would produce a nice rounded crown like original. Opinions?

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/barre…ning-tool.html

Here’s what the rifle looks like so far.

Doc Highwall
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 131

It looks like it should work good as long as the pilot fits correctly, the only thing I don’t like is that it is caliber specific, meaning you can only use it for one caliber.
      But such is the fact that if you want it to look like an original trap-door muzzle crown, you have no other chose.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I fully support PTG tools. Excellent quality.
      As to it’s being caliber specific, I disagree with Doc. The only thing caliber specific is the bushings. That said, nothing beats a lathe turned crown for straightness and perfection (if done correctly).
      The thing you will have to work around with this tool is chatter. Tools like these are just taking so much material off at once, they have a tendency to chatter, and that will have to be sanded off by hand very carefully. It’s not a problem and has no bearing on the function of the rifle or the accuracy, unless you get too happy with the sandpaper. It’s just something to be aware of.

Doc Highwall
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 131

Tim, the pilot is interchangeable, but if you look down below this is what is says.

Be sure to specify a pilot size when you order. (With Radius Crown Tools, the pilot size is actually the tool size as well. If you change the pilot on a Radius Crown Tool for use in a different-sized bore, the resulting radius crown may be unsatisfactory because it is formed at the wrong diameter.)

I just looked again and there is a range of calibers you can do like .30 to .49 with #3. Not so sure how it will look at the .30 and .49 calibers, vs.something in between where it should do the best job.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.