Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 28
      • Overall: 37

This ain’t no Waksupi special, it’s just my attempt to make a Trapdoor Carbine clone out of a sporterized infantry Trapdoor.

I bought this off Gunbroker a few months a ago. Barrel was cut to 26″, stock was cut shorter than a carbine and was lightly sanded then varnished. The front sight was a long wedge type blade that was dovetailed in. Looked like it was done back in the 1920s or ’30s.

I cut and crowned the barrel by hand, added a piece to the fore end of the stock and shaped to carbine profile, lightly sanded, stained and oiled the stock. Purchased a saddle ring and bar from Al Frasca and inletted the stock to fit. Had a new front sight silver soldered on, had to add a little to the top of the sight because it was shooting high. Then I did a “rustic” bluing. I took it out yesterday to see how it was shooting after adding height to the front sight. Was doing about 3″-4″ groups at 100 yards with some hand loads shooting factory cast 405 gr, .459″ bullets over 22 gr of IMR4198. Only had to make a slight windage adjustment otherwise grouping well at POI. Hope to do better when I start casting my own bullets from a Lee HB mold.

I had a “before” photo but accidently erased it so the “after” photos will have to do.

This is my first Trapdoor. Hope it passes muster.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

Don’t know where you started but you wound up in the good looking section of town

Nice work

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Artful said it! Very well done!!!!

Out of curiosity, did you merely cut off the original barrel, or did you actually ream the chamber?
      If you reamed the chamber with a Manson reamer, I have a mold I designed for that reamer, and so far it works quite well.

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 256
      • Overall: 296

Nice work !!!

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze

Thanks guys!

Tim, I cut the end of barrel off with a hacksaw… at the muzzle end. Never reamed a chamber… yet.

Waksupi
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 106
      • Overall: 112

Looks darn good to me!

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

You’ve got an heirloom there. Good job!

goody
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 74
      • Overall: 92

Awesome! Well, the addiction will continue I bet! I never had any of these but I sure could have embraced them with gusto.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze

Waksupi,
      Thank you. Your kind remarks hold a lot of weight. You sir do good work!

uber,
      Thank you. I’m using the skills that have been given me. Credit where credit is due, SDG.

goody,
      Your are correct. I have since purchased an infantry TD. Serial number says it’s an M84 but it has M79 rear sight… and a M73 breech block… Think it’s been pieced together. Maybe even a Bannerman’s special! It’s got a shinny bore with no pitting but the rifling edges aren’t crisp, rather rounded. Wonder if it had modern jacketed bullets shot through it.

With my hand loads I’m hitting an 8″ steel plate at a 100 yds… off hand. So not too bad. Using the same 405 gr factory cast bullet over 35 gr IMR4895. It’s real mild and fairly quite for a rifle.
      On the 4th of July after we had a big BBQ feast. Afterwards I took some of the young men out back to shoot it. They all really enjoyed it and were hitting the steel plate consistently. They were impressed with the 130 year old rifle to say the least.

Here are some photos.

And I have almost enough parts to build another carbine too!

doc1876
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 51
      • Overall: 61

I seen a repop in a museum that doesn’t look near that good.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.