This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  James Nicholson 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
     Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

My brother had to put down a cow yesterday that had slipped on the ice and broken her pelvis. He has not had good results with .22 LR from his revolver so decided to use his Remington 722 in .222 Remington. It did not penetrate the frontal skull well either. I explained to him that the ammo I gave him was for prairie dogs and coyotes. Is there a FMJ or monolithic bullet that will stabilize in that rifle’s 1-14″ twist?

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 194
    • Overall: 228
     Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

From what I’ve been reading, 1-14 won’t stabilize a 55 gr spitzer. A solid copper bullet of same weight would be even longer than a lead core spitzer.

Then, it might not matter at 10 feet.

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 790
    • Overall: 860

I shoot a 225-55 NOE , it’s 62 gr . …… Don’t know what that would do at 10′ where it’s still over 2600 fps , probably just splash . Has he thought about a 38 Special ? Heck a 9mm at 10′ from behind ought to do nicely . I haven’t shot any jacketed 222 other than factory to get a baseline for load work .
    I don’t know but Nosler might have Partition now in 22 .
    Sierra might have Game King 55 gr .
    As an alternative to Barnes for cost maybe a GMX …. I don’t know if there is one .
    Got steel mould ? You could do some in ZAMAC .

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 134
    • Overall: 151

Just any hunting bullet made for 223 50 to 55 gr  should work at that close of a range. But don’t use the varmet bullets way to explosive.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 503
    • Overall: 553
    • Gold

Speer used to make a RN 55 gr jacketed .224 bullet for “fur” use.  They stabilize just fine in a 14″ twist (used a lot of them at 1900 fps in a 222 Rem and 223 Rems with 14″ twists.).  Not sure if they are still available though.

Larry Gibson

James Nicholson 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 2
    • Overall: 2

Would the 55 gr fmj pull down bullets from Jeff Bartlett work?  I bought some a while back and they were ok in my 223 Weatherby 1 in 14 twist.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us