Viewing 57 reply threads
  • Author
      IllinoisCoyoteHunter
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 74
      • Overall: 81

Most threads of this type ask for your favorite…but I would like to see your top 3, and what specific reloading operations you perform on them. Thanks!

My Top 3

1.) Star Universal – I have 2 set up for reloading 38 Spl and 45 ACP. They load quality ammo FAST. They both are manual indexing and have Hulme case feeders. Every time I reload on these I think about how the design of this press didn’t change over all the years of production (with the exception of one small change to the base?? which had no affect on the actual function of the press). The design of this press was nailed the first time around!

2.) RCBS A3 – This is my go-to single stage press. Really, any of the A series presses are about as good as you can get in a single stage, IMO. My A3 is really the only of my A presses I use and it sees everything from decapping, to case forming, to reloading rifle cartridges

3.) Lyman All-American – I just love the bulk and strength of this 4 station turret press. It sits proudly on my bench, permanently set up to reload the mighty 500 SW Mag.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Use only single stages, 2 Pacifics’ (1 is a 007, the other is the Mutli Power), 1 RCBS Rock Chucker those three are mounted to the bench.
      Those three cover the reloading of all my calibers with the Multi-power and Rock Chucker doing bullet swaging

The other two Lymans 1-Acculine I use it as a mobile press for the range, and the deluxe as a spare with a broken handle, The other Pacific Delux is out on loan.
      Need to rework the Old C-H as well, need to find a 7/8×14 tap one day, as well as add a RCBS A-series or bigger to the bench which will probably replace the Pacific 007 for swaging operations.

az-jim
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 36
      • Overall: 45

1) Dillon 550, for stomping out pistol calibers
      2) Dads older than me Rockchucker, for making GC’s and loading rifle calibers
      3) Rockchucker Supreme, for whatever else needs doing

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 129

I only have 2 at the moment. I wanted a press to load only 9 mm so I bought the Dillon Square Deal B. It works great and doesn’t take up a lot of space. I also have the cheap Lee single stage press. I use it to size bullets with the Lee push through sizer and also for the Lee FCD for those few that won’t pass the chamber gauge. I have been thinking of buying an AR-15 in which case I will need to get something to load rifle rounds.

Daniel
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 25
      • Overall: 28

2 Dillon 550s for volume reloading of rifle and pistol. Hereter’s #3 for bullet sizing, Redding T7 for black powder cartridge and 2 CO-=AX presses for small lots of anything. An arbor press does gas checks and wad cutting.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
      Participant
      • Bronze

I have a 7/8-14 tap if you need one. It is a cheap one that I used to chase some damaged threads (didn’t wanna pay huge bucks for a HSS American made one).

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

My presses are
      Dillon 550
      RCBS RC from the 70s passed to me by my father (doesn’t get used much anymore).
      RCBS Big Max (this is what I do most of my loading on now).

And soon to be added is a Forster Co-Ax from Bjornb! I’m very excited about that one. It’s radically different than anything I have used in the past and I love the concept. Just gotta work with it and see how it strikes me. Can’t wait to give that baby a try!

DaveInGA
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 44
      • Overall: 50

I only have three. Two are my long term main squeezes and one I bought to play with this winter:

1. Lee Classic Cast single stage – this press replaced my RCBS Rock Chucker after a three month side by side comparison. It handles anything I need to do with a single stage, including lead bullet sizing, gas check placement and rifle reloading. It’s a fine press. I have it on a quick change plate from Inline Fabrication to go on one of their excellent “strong” mounts. I also use RCBS LnL Conversion on it to take advantage of the LnL Quick Change bushings.

2. RCBS Pro 2000 – I bought this after owning first a Dillon 550 (hated manual advance, hated the 550 in general, not a press for me) and a Hornady LnL I upgraded several times over the decade I had it, then got tired of. I don’t reload as much as I used to and I don’t really need the capacity unless I decide to reload a lot of pistol, .223 or .308 for “ready for use” purposes. I really love this press. It’s a set it and forget it press. I’ve had it about 5 years and after some out of the box teething problems (turned out to be a bad batch of subplates that were improperly machined) that RCBS helped me correct (and gave me a monster stack of spare parts I’ve never used, LOL), the press has been running perfectly since that first set up and all I’ve done since was clean and lube it occasionally. Doesn’t get any better. The primer strip feed is very safe and reliable as well. I did install a mod from GWhis that allows me to turn it off while I’m reloading to do in process QC checks.

3. Just for the fun of it, I bought a Lee Loadmaster late fall of last year and during the winter months, I’ve used it as a toy (like a 90% complete radio shack radio kit back in the day) to entertain myself by doing every possible modification for it that’s been put out on the internet along with some tuning tricks of my own. I’m waiting right now for a couple of custom aluminum case feeder parts to come in, then I’ll be ready to do a test run of .308 doing depriming/lube with an RCBS lube die and size/trim with a Dillon trimmer. If that goes well and my experiments with homemade parts indicates it will, I’ll build a homemade case feeder collator and bullet feeder for all my pistol calibers and .223/.308 rifle calibers. No matter what, it’s been very fun toy to play with. If it works good when I’m finished, it’ll be very satisfying.

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Overall: 134

I’m at work, so I can’t post pictures. BTW don’t tell my boss I’m not working, lol.

I have to say that my number 1 press is an old 4 hole Lee turret press with the auto index. I bought this press when they first came out with the 4 hole. I’m actually getting ready for a new one because the press I’m using now has a lot of wear in the linkage, so the handle flops around. Either way this is number 1. Anytime I loading small batches of pistol rounds or I’m loading my black powder pistol rounds this us the press I use.

Number 2 is my Dillon 550, I load my big batches on this, mainly pistol as I still prefer to load my rifle rounds on my single stage. I do load my 223 and some 308 on it but not much.

Number 3 is a hard choice I really want to say my Rockchucker but I’m going to give it to my Dillon sdb. I know a lot of people don’t like these presses but mine pretty much only loads .40 s&w and 9mm. I really think that for those smaller sized rounds are where the sdb really shines.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

Lee hand press…Great for portability
      2 Lee Challengers
      1 Lee Classic Cast
      1 old Rock Chucker

Guess I’m kind of a single stage guy.What gets used where depends on circumstances.Thought at one time I’d have certain tasks set for certain presses but due to switching loads that never happened.
      Looking at a Lee turret press just to have dies set up in turrets for one particular load

Labradigger1
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 16
      • Overall: 19

No pics but in order of my top three,
      RCBS 2A
      Dillon rl550b with small primer tube
      Dillon rl550b with large primer tube

The 2A is easily may favorite. Cast steel, strong as anything I’ve ever seen. It sees the heavy duty stuff such as swaging and forming. I made a new arm and “d” style roller handle for it, the handle arm is 7/8″ round stock with the taper and threads turned on the lathe to replace the factory stub. The roller is brass round stock with a small knurling applied and a couple of decorative grooves. No need for bearings, I reamed the ID to .004 over the bolt and added grease.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Overall: 129

Pics of my setup, which is still a work in progress. SDB on the right, little Lee in the middle and room for more on the left.

ZmanWakeForest
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 115
      • Overall: 135

Redding T7 – used for all my rifle stuff
      Redding T7 #2 – used for all my straight wall stuff
      Lyman T-Mag – used for deprime and anything else that involve dirt or mess

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

Strictly single stage guy here, Lee hand press does most jobs including re sizing rifle brass. I do have a lee classic cast C press like the little red one in the picture above. But mine is mounted inverted to the bottom of the table, it only does sizing/gas checks. I need to remount with bigger better screws it is working loose over time.

I also have a larger lee D shaped press but it doesn’t do a lot. Main action is over in front of my computer with the hand press.
      I do not shoot that much, I have no need for thousands of rounds of pistol or rifle caliber. I much prefer the hand press, you really feel everything.

Priming I do with a RCBS Universal hand tool, it reprimes everything but .410 magtech brass shotgun shells without fussing with shell holders.

Typical week I’ll reload 50 to 150 rounds. Pistol calibers I do tend to do in 100 round batch’s. I also have the Frankford Arsenal hand deprimer which I like. Lets me deprime upstairs in front of the TV, then citric acid wash, run a small brush through the primer pocket and with a towel laying on my knee each brass gets a “roll” down my leg removing the last of any grime. Then loaded into blocks and allowed to air dry for a day while I cast the boolits.

What I’m loading depends on what I shot the week before. Last week it was 9mm. Next week it could be .223 or 7.62×39.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 9
      • Overall: 9

I have a Lee single stage that I started with many years ago taking up space in a bottom drawer. I use a Lee Classic turret press for everything from 9mm Mak to 30-06 these days. I have 6 turret heads set up on the shelf so changing over usually takes just a few minutes.

Denny

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

Don’t play favorites :rolleyes:

Last 3 used
      Huntington W hand press to make up some 308’s that I shot yesterday.

Dillon 450 to make up some 38 special subsonic’s that I shot yesterday
      thru my Rossi 357 carbine – newly threaded for a suppressor mounting

RCBS ‘chucker I used to run Milsurp 308 thru Small Base Sizer Die

– three that won’t be sold until I have to give up reloading
      Bonanza Co-AX
      RL-300 Dillion Semiprogressive (currently setup for 45 ACP)
      Lee Turret – use this to train people new to reloading – and I loan it out to them.

451 whitworth
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 14
      • Overall: 14

Forster Co-Ax
      Redding T-7
      RCBS RCII

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Knuckle bump on the jug of Ed’s red.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Hooked to the bench ,2 Rock Chuckers and a Partner . . They do it all with the partner doing mostly just seating and priming these days .

bear67
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 11
      • Overall: 12

Do I have to pick just 3–most used would be the Dillon(s) (I know there are two but I only use one at a time). Then would be the RCBS RC and the Lyman turret. I have more mounted on others on shelves, but these are the most used. Going to set up my Texan turret and a PW soon with dies for one caliber each.

jedomejd
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 18

Lee Loadmaster that I’ve been manually indexing and hand priming for since it was new in ’93. It prob has every shortcoming ever experienced on a Loadmaster but she’s mine. Lee 3 hole turret
      Lee single stage c-press

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

Well, currently set up in the Rifle/Pistol loading building are two Dillon 1050 (9 & 45), two Star (38 & 357) RCBS A-2 and Hornady Pro-Jector (41,44 or 45LC)

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Nice building

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

Yes, nice brick building skeettx

What’s that white stuff? – all the dirt here in Arizona is brown. :p

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Hey a solution, I just may have to take you up on that ICH, once I get all the steel lined up.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Nice setup

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

white sands maybe??? i dunno LOL

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

It’s a Mississippi drivers worst nightmare. Let about 2 inches show up and watch the fun. The common Mississippian can not drive in the snow.

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 81
      • Overall: 86

For rifle/pistol
      Dillon 1050
      Bonanza CoAx
      Dillon 550

For shotgun
      Spolar
      Ponsness Warren 800+
      Ponsness Warren 375

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 77
      • Overall: 87

Dillon RL 550B
      Lee Classic Cast
      RCBS Summit Press

Bodean98
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 103
      • Overall: 111

For rifle/pistol–single stage only.

1. Unknown model CH H style press for light duty
      2. RC II for case forming and heavier chores
      3. Forster COAX (New this year! One of those “why didn’t I get one of these 30 years ago” moments) Rapidly becoming my favorite press!

Shotshell

!. Ponsness Warren Size-O-Matic 900
      2. MEC SM82 Sizemaster

Paul G
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 19
      • Overall: 20

Dillon 650
      Lyman AA
      RCBS RCII

Not necessarily in that order

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

Dillon 650, Rockchucker and a Mec 9000

the vast majority of my loading is on the Rockchucker

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

How much rocks would a rockchucker chuck if a rockchucker could chuck rocks. Rockchucker rocks.

OptimusPanda
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 22
      • Overall: 28

At the moment I only have two. I started with a Hornady LNL progressive for pistol since at the time that was most of what I fired and am very pleased with it. Then, as I started getting into the old milsurp rifles a single stage press became a priority for me. I ended up with an RCBS rockchucker supreme. It’s a love/hate relationship, the press is strong and very smooth but it’s priming system seems to be lacking. Every dozen cases deprimed/resized and it looses one out the front of the ram. That and the black plastic primer catch is ill fitting and barely works. There was guy on another forum making a better primer catch out of pvc pipes and it does seem to work better but still sometimes it dumps one on the floor.

gwpercle
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 36
      • Overall: 38

1.) Pacific Super Deluxe “C” , circa 1965, I’ve it a long, long time.
      2.) Lyman All-American Turret , circa 1969 ,
      3.) Eagle Cobra 300, rescued and put back in service with parts from CH4D , neat little aluminum press.
      4.) Two (2) Lee hand presses , not old, but really handy. I can throw one in a gym bag , go to my office and get some real important work done, can’t do that with the other two presses.
      Gary

lead-1
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 82
      • Overall: 90

I currently have on the benches an RCBS RS3, two LEE 4 hole turrets and a MEC 650. I also have a Lee “C” press in the vise that’s set up to decap only.

Str8shot426
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 12
      • Overall: 13

I load everything on two mid seventies vintage rcbs jr3’s.
      Looking for a third!

Gunslinger1911
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 24
      • Overall: 26

Primary is a Dillon 550, something like 10 different pistol calibers. Lee turret, low volume rifle. 45/70, 308 . Ancient Pacific single stage (my first press, 40+ years ago). Relegated to sizing PC’d boolits, cutting pb gas checks.

dragon813gt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 79
      • Overall: 84

1. Lee Classic Turret
      2. Less Classis Cast Single Stage
      Distant third – Dillon 550B

The Dillon makes a lot of ammo in short order. But it’s has quirks and takes to long to switch over. The cost for full conversions is more than I’m willing to pay and they take up to much space. $11 for a Lee Turret is a lot more appealing to me.

Uncle Grinch
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 18

Reckon’ I’m the “outsider” with my Orange Crusher and Spartan presses. Had a Dillon 650, but found it had too many moving parts for my simple mind! Sold it after a few months.

Dick
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 77
      • Overall: 87

u

dragon813gt;n3254 wrote: 1. Lee Classic Turret
      2. Less Classis Cast Single Stage
      Distant third – Dillon 550B

The Dillon makes a lot of ammo in short order. But it’s has quirks and takes to long to switch over. The cost for full conversions is more than I’m willing to pay and they take up to much space. $11 for a Lee Turret is a lot more appealing to me.

I would be lost without my 550. That was the first press I ever bought and taught myself to reload on it…without youtube, lol.

WVchuter
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 5
      • Overall: 6

Number 1- A set of Stars in .45 ACP and .38 Special
      Number 2- Dillon 550
      Number 3- RCBS Rockchucker

doc1876
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 51
      • Overall: 61

I have 2, a4 hole Led turret press that I use for most everything, and an old single stage somethingoruther, that I use for depriming, mainly, and sometimes for taper crimping the 45-70

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze

Cannot pick three. I need (want?) them all

Spolar with three gauge sets
      PW 800+ with auto drive
      Dillon 1050
      Dillon 550b
      Co-Ax
      Rock chucker
      Two PW 375’s

Daniellawecki
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 5
      • Overall: 7

Lee Challenger single stage old Lee turret mid eighties Hornady LNL progressive.

JeffG
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 9
      • Overall: 11

Only 2 presses, a Lee Classic Cast and a second hand Loadmaster that I use for 9×19 Luger, 9×18 Mak and 7.62×25 Tok

reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 80
      • Overall: 95

Bought my old Lyman Crusher press new when I first got into reloading. I’ve though about adding another press on occasion but just never got around to it an probably never will. I have no idea how many rds. I’ve loaded on this press in 40 years.

reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 80
      • Overall: 95

Bought my old Lyman Crusher press new when I first got into reloading. I’ve though about adding another press on occasion but just never got around to it an probably never will. I have no idea how many rds. I’ve loaded on this press in 40 years.

W.R.Buchanan
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 31
      • Overall: 33

ICH: So where is your newest Press?

Randy

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

In this part of the shop
      2 Dillon 1050 and an RCBS A-2

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

Suppose I’m a dinosaur. …

Lyman Spar-T turret press
      Lyman Spartan single stage
      Ideal/Lyman 310 tong tools.
      RCBS Jr press (dormant under bench)

The Spar-T for pistol stuff and the 310 for rifles.
      Yup, it’s REAL old school here.😀

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 11
      • Overall: 11

I guess I’m a Dinosaur also.
      1. Still use my Tru Line Jr for 357. Had it for years.
      2. Lyman Orange Crusher for Rifles.
      3. Lee hand press for load development.

Have Mec 600,s for shot shell loading. Several other Lee Loaders, but the 3 listed are my favorites.

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze

PW 800+ with electric drive

Those get the most use

Another three shotshell reloaders and two more metallic presses

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
      Participant
      • Bronze

Randy, my newest press is the Buchanan Precision Machine portable hand press. As far as quality and workmanship, it sits right up at the top with my Star Universals! I haven’t had a chance to really use it yet, but plan to soon. It is almost too pretty to use!!!! LOL

W.R.Buchanan
      Participant
      • Bronze

ICH: You better use that tool! I have been getting pretty good reviews on this tool and one really stellar one from Dick who’s been using it to load his Match ammo and getting really good results.

You got one of the early ones so it is up to you to show others how great the thing is.

I am finishing the parts for the second run as I speak and will be assembling in the next week or so, also the Website is nearly complete so people will be able to see my other products.

Also we have a new Boyt Harness Canvas Case that is a perfect fit for the tool,,, so you won’t have to worry about scratching it .

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
      Participant
      • Bronze

By the way my top Three presses are my Rockchucker, which I use to break down and case prep. My C&H 444 press which is used to assemble/load rounds. and my Dillon 550B which is used to assemble volumes of ammo.

Labradigger1
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 16

Rcbs A2, bonanza coax and 2 550’s

Viewing 57 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.