Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 157
      • Overall: 169

I’ve got a question. I’ve got 3 1/2# of pure tin bars, 2 3/4# pewter and a 1 pound roll of solder that’s 90% tin. Since even the 80% of tin that’s in most pewter is sufficient to “do it’s magic” on bullet lead, is there any reason I can’t render all of this together and cast thin ingots so I can keep my inventory uncomplicated?

farmerjim
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 25
      • Overall: 25

None that I can think of. I throw a little of this tin and a little of that tin into the pot when making 100 lbs of an alloy, so mixing them beforehand should not make a difference.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

Something to consider. Not long ago I found a decent price on some lino in fairly small ingots. When it arrived my pot was empty, and I got to thinking.

So I melted 2 bars and cast them in my largest mold. Happened to be the .430 310 gr for my .444marlin.

When I am casting something that wants just a touch more tin for better flow or a touch harder I drop in one of those tin rich boolits. Give a stir and go.
      Melts fast, increases by fairly small quantity’s, is repeatable, as each weighs the same, has same content.

Hard to melt 1/4 of an ingot and get it the same each time unless you cut and weigh it which is a bit of a pain.

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Cool idea, but the heaviest (lead) bullet I cast is 270 gr. Not a very large amount of tin to add to a pot.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

GhostHawk;n7839 wrote: Something to consider. Not long ago I found a decent price on some lino in fairly small ingots. When it arrived my pot was empty, and I got to thinking.

So I melted 2 bars and cast them in my largest mold. Happened to be the .430 310 gr for my .444marlin.

When I am casting something that wants just a touch more tin for better flow or a touch harder I drop in one of those tin rich boolits. Give a stir and go.
      Melts fast, increases by fairly small quantity’s, is repeatable, as each weighs the same, has same content.

Hard to melt 1/4 of an ingot and get it the same each time unless you cut and weigh it which is a bit of a pain.

Personally, I tare a ceramic bowl on my 10lb food scale, hold the ingot with pliers and use a common propane torch to melt it. Just watch the scale and keep dripping till you get the weight you want. Then just dump the contents of the bowl into the lead pot.
      Too easy!!!

To the OP, I would do exactly as you say, but I would get the alloy analyzed so you know exactly what you’ve got when your done smelting it together.

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I like the ceramic bowl idea, Tim, thanks.

Kevin S
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 58
      • Overall: 72

I would not melt all of it together, The pure and the solder would melted together. But the Pewter has cu (copper) as 1 of its elements so I would keep that separate and add that when needed for the cu.
      As I was starting to hit the post button I got an idea. If you melt the pure and solder together. Make a chart ahead of time to show the % you get by adding a known number of bullets to a known # of pounds of lead. So you don’t have to figure in your head when you need to be thinking about casting.

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Thanks, Kevin, but I’ve already melted all the pure, solder and what little pewter I had together. I liked Tim’s idea of the ceramic bowl and measuring out Tin to the exact amount by melting and weighing the drops as they compile.

I just did my first major rendering. Ended up with 183# COWW, 168# SOWW and 9# Tin. I’ve got my original 160# of ingots that need a matching 160# of pure Pb (SOWW) and enough Tin that I’ll be okay for quite a while.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

Remember the last time I thought I had enough to last a while………….:rolleyes:

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Well, chutesnrelodads, I’m at 21# of tin and gaining. I just hope it truly is enough for a while.;)

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.