Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      lead-1
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 82
      • Overall: 90

A while back i bought a rifle that had been rechambered in 308 Match, but before it was built as a 30 x 44. Now I was told of this caliber by the seller and looked it up on the net, it was a 30 caliber bullet in a 308/7.62×51 case that was reformed down from 51mm to 44mm.
      There are two other markings on the barrel that I am curious about and thought someone here might shed some light. I realize that rifle builders probably have their own markings and these might be local to the builder but here goes.
      I don’t know what ” 330NK ” or “PIECHOTA” might be other than the latter maybe being the builders name.
      Any guesses?

ken campbell iowa
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 15
      • Overall: 15

330 nk might be for 0.330 neck diameter for the chamber being a tight neck . fairly common for the smith to mark a tight neck chambering to avoid a high pressure incident . the name might be the smith or the owner or the designer of that cartridge .

lead-1
      Participant
      • Bronze

Thanks, I would’ve never guessed that being the neck diameter but that would make sense.

seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 64
      • Overall: 72

“PIECHOTA” appears to be Polish for “infantry” although there are instances of it being a last name.

seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 64
      • Overall: 72

Piechota is probably Tom Piechota, who appears to be into building custom benchrest rifles. The link below mentions him in the second to the last post.

http://benchrest.com/archive/index.php/t-61810.html

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

seaboltm;n6002 wrote: Piechota is probably Tom Piechota, who appears to be into building custom benchrest rifles. The link below mentions him in the second to the last post.

http://benchrest.com/archive/index.php/t-61810.html

Very likely correct and 330 neck I would bet is dead on ..

Would try contacting Tom .. he very well might remember this rifles and could give you background and or helpful info

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

^^^^^^good advice^^^^^^

lead-1
      Participant
      • Bronze

Thanks guys, I think I will ask to join over there to snoop around a bit.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.