Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      redriverhunter
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 22
      • Overall: 47

I have the desire for a 358 win. I understand the about the most I can out of is about 300 yards. One day I will have a custom rifle built, I was considering it be the 358 win. but as researched the .358 I found its range to be about 300 yards.My thoughts are if it is good to only 300 yards or so why have a custom rifle with a cartridge will only perform out to 300 yards. So now I am thinking of having a 308 win. board out to a 358 and continue to think of the cartridge that I would like to the custom rifle chambered in. I would greatly appreciate any experience, thoughts and opinions. thanks rrh

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

300 yards for a hunter is actually a fair piece. I grew up in Colorado and Wyoming, the supposed home of long range shooting. My furthest shot, and very atypical at that, was 200 yards on a nice antelope buck standing across an alfalfa field. I couldn’t stalk any closer so the shot was taken from a kneeling position given the knee high height of the alfalfa. Mule deer and most antelope fell to my rifle well within that range and a 358 would have been strong medicine on them. Lots of hunters talk the long range talk, but very few can walk the walk.

Go to the range sometime and see how many hunters can hit the 10″ or so lung area of a deer from anything but a bench rest or a bipod at even 200 yards. Ask them to shoot from the normal sitting, kneeling or even off hand positions most hunting shots are taken at and… well you’ll see it what I mean.

Get your 358 and don’t look back. If you’re a cast bullet shooter you’ll find it superior as a hunting rifle than the 308. Learn its trajectory and use it effectively.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 137
      • Overall: 166

I use to hunt with a custom Mauser in 358. It killed like nobody’s business (southern whitetails and hogs). All I ever used was factory Winchester ammo. 300 yards sound like a stretch to me with a 358 but what do I know. What animals do you hunt and at what distances?

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 73
      • Overall: 86

Instead of 35 cal in a short action go
      35 in a long action
      35 whelen and Tim has invented the 35 XCB
      unique bulleye or trail boss for the light plinkers and what ever power for the heavies

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

The 358 Winchester is no good past 250 yards. It’s negligible at 300, and at 325 the bullets simply bounce off the deer no matter how many times you hit it…………

OK, seriously? a 200 gain bullet with a MV of 2600FPS is going to drop anything it connects with like a sack of rocks out to 800 yards. However, that requires you to HIT the target which requires practice, and working within the limitations of the cartridge. For instance, you know it will go transonic at 800 yards, and you know that at 500 yards, it’s only got 850ft/lb of energy left, and you know that with a BC of .300 or less, you’re going to get blown around by the wind more than you would normally, but all these things are able to be compensated for.
      I would give the 358 Winchester a practical personal limit of 600 yards, but make no mistake, the usefulness of the cartridge has more to do with your riflemanship than with the power of the gun or the bullet design, and most people do not have the lead in their shorts to hit a 6″ plate at 600 yards no matter what rifle and cartridge they are shooting.

I could set up a 6″ gong at 600 yards and set up one of my custom rifles in 6.5X284, with a 200 yard zero, on a shooting mat in an open field with a gusting 10MPH wind at 10:00, and offer $100 bill to a group of average hunters/shooters if they could hit it with one shot, and out of 100 hunters, I doubt I would lose more than $500, and I’ll bet two or three of those guys that took my money could hit it 10 for ten all day long even if the wind shifted.
      It aint the arrow, it’s the Indian.

That said, I agree 100% with Scharf. Get the 358, and shoot it like it’s going out of style.
      Shoot it a lot at long range, and you’ll be able to hit at long range. Shoot it at short range and you’ll be able to hit at short range only.

358 Winchester is one of those cartridges that gives back what you put into it, and it has a tendency to endear itself to those who use it, because it’s “just enough” for dam near anything. I’ve used it effectively out to 400 yards (which is cool if you’re lobbing 285 grain cast bullets). I don’t put myself in positions where a long shot is my only way to succeed anymore, so my longest kill with it was 75 yards at a doe that was walking at a brisk trot. She kissed the dirt like a long last lover when the trigger broke. I also busted one at about 75 yards through the fork of two trees. I saw a flash of daylight through the deer and a rope of red stuff fly out the other side. The deer ran straight towards me and died 15 yards from the tips of my boots.

Waksupi
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 106
      • Overall: 112

If you are shooting at game over 200 yards, you are shooting too far. Considering I’ve killed antelope with pistols and flintlocks, I think you might be able to get a bit closer.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

The 6 Western mule deer I’ve taken have been mostly less than 150 yd . 1 a very nice 4×4 was 350 yd . It was open granite above.the tree line with swirling wind . The rifle I used was uniquely qualified for the job being essentially an M40 in walnut and 25-06′ . I’ve also been inside 30 ft in season , of course I had an elk tag …..
      Point being that some times the shot is taken or passed and if you take it sometimes it is going to be long .

I love my 358 , I love the rifle it’s in which is probably completely wrong for the cartridge but if it will hold on by the gas checks it’s seated deep enough to clear the mag well. I wouldn’t hesitate to use it for 200yd elk with just about any 200+ gr bullet 250s would definitely be better . With the XCB, 300 shouldn’t be too difficult to do. But I don’t have a load and I haven’t shot that far yet so the final judgment isn’t in .

A big advantage of the 358 for the caster is that there’s a good chance that you have several practice bullet moulds on hand since most 380,9mm,38/357 bullets will shoot fine . Do it you won’t regret it . If you decide you need more it can always be rechambered for the Whelen .

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

Every deer I have killed was done so with a 20 gauge shotgun and slugs. None shot at beyond 30 yards, most considerably shorter than that.

And once I learned how I ate venison every year until I hung up my guns to get married.

200 yards? ROFLMAO Is there a deer in the world that once you learn where it lives, what it’s routine is you can not find a way to ambush it inside that distance?

Indian up!

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I see you’ve not hunted central Nevada above the tree line where the sage is 2″ tall in bloom over what is best described as flagstone granite .
      Every step is deafening the wind swirls in every saddle and is never completely still when a herd beds 25-50 ft below the saddle it is where the up draft from the canyon meets the left swirl from the saddle and the right swirl from the peak . You could move from one 8-12 rock I guess between boulders but by the time your inside 200 yd your odds of getting in the wind have reached a point that may as well be considered a zero chance of not being winded . Never mind the radar screens that they call ears on mule deer . It wasn’t happening when I was 14 . Granite boulder , perfect rest ,exceptional rifle , 1 shot .
      More recently I’ve been on a stock and had a known but never seen deer stand up but not until I was within 50 ft .

Bodean98
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 103
      • Overall: 111

My stories are much the same as what has been posted. Under most circumstances, deer are taken well under 300 yards. A 358 win. is plenty good medicine for that. Purchase/build the rifle and practice, practice, practice. Practice until you can hit your mark at 300, first shot, from any position, resting or off hand and your good to go. You’ll also appreciate the authority that it has in anchoring a deer.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.