Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      DaveInGA
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 44
      • Overall: 50

Picked up a couple new rifles lately. One in .22 Hornet and one in 6.5 X 55 Swede, both are new rifles made by CZ. The one I’m having trouble deciding on a mold for is the Swede caliber. I’ve debated on ordering the old group buy cruise missile from Midsouth Shooter’s Supply I think it is, but I’m not sure if that’s the way I want to go.

Here’s what I do know:

1. I haven’t had time to measure the land and grooves of the rifle, nor cast the chamber.
      2. Rifle’s twist is 1:8.9″
      3. I’m going to hunt with this rifle for Southeastern US Whitetail deer, a fairly small deer as they go. IF a hog happens to come along, I’ll nail it for the farmer as well.

Finally, NOE is my favorite mold maker, as they often have something in stock to fit my needs. I’m just very new to this caliber.

Would love to hear some suggestions about where to go from here with this rifle. It has excellent balance and gives me a good feeling when I pick it up. Great iron sights as well.

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

Dave,
      I have both the NOE version of the Kurtz bullet and the Cruise Missile moulds. I’ll be happy to send you some of each bullet to try out.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I have a 264 WM the NOE 260-120 fp makes a nice paper patch core. . It will size nicely for .001 over bore and it’s a nice flat shooting bullet too.

DaveInGA
      Participant
      • Bronze

bjornb;n2996 wrote: Dave,
      I have both the NOE version of the Kurtz bullet and the Cruise Missile moulds. I’ll be happy to send you some of each bullet to try out.

bjorn, that would be great, I’ll send you a pm. Do you happen to have the NOE numbers for those molds? What are you shooting yours in? Are you finding you need/prefer the gas check or the plain base? I know I’m going to need some velocity for hunting, not so much for range, but for penetration I’m thinking.

DaveInGA
      Participant
      • Bronze

Harter;n3000 wrote: I have a 264 WM the NOE 260-120 fp makes a nice paper patch core. . It will size nicely for .001 over bore and it’s a nice flat shooting bullet too.

That sounds like a good bullet too. Thank you for the information.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

Watching this thread.Have a ’96 mauser with a tight bore i’d like to try light target loads with.oping to get it to shoot to the sights same as the ’98 does with light loads and cast.

DaveInGA
      Participant
      • Bronze

chutesnreloads;n3099 wrote: Watching this thread.Have a ’96 mauser with a tight bore i’d like to try light target loads with.oping to get it to shoot to the sights same as the ’98 does with light loads and cast.

This is probably the wrong thread to watch, as I am reloading for a modern action/rifle, so I can load hotter loads and higher pressures than possible with the 96 Mauser. I’ve learned enough today the 6.5 Swede isn’t the best candidate for lead bullets for the application I have (hunting, not plinking, so low number of rounds fired).

I don’t know what caliber your 96 is, but I think you’ll find good lead bullet information on the other thread I posted if your 96 is a 6.5 Swede. Loads may be a different story, but light loads in older Mausers have been done for a good while now, you should be able to do an internet search and come up with some very good possibilities. Look for older cast boolit threads from back in the day. They’ll have good information for light loads.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Paper patch will get it done for you .

Uncle Grinch
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 18
      • Overall: 19

I really like the 6.5 Swede. I’ve got a M38/96 and an FN action Husqvarna commercial Mauser in the sweet 6.5.
      Good luck with the cruise missle mold. Some cast boolit shooters, maybe I should say most, must have more patience than me when it comes to making the cruise shoot accurately. I finally gave up on mine and sold it and went back to my RCBS 140 gn rn.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.