Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      goody
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 74
      • Overall: 92

I have a old douglas barrel that was a bull barrel for years then I had a old gunsmith thin it down and blue it and he did a perfect awesome job (almost). He did not thin it down enough but I worked with it as a fat barrel at best. Now I would like to put this on a carcano action and I want it to be as slim as practical. How would you go about telling me who has a lathe(don’t know much about it) to thin it down in as simple of a way as possible. One time I was told 0f using a belt sander to accomplish this.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

This is lathe work.

The belt sander route would result in inconsistent removal of the steel.

goody
      Participant
      • Bronze

well, I will poke around at this with what I heard of. I don’t see how I can offset the tail head on this lathe. It is a EMCO Maxi Mat V10-P and I can not read the writing on it! I know its a glorified hobby rig but its what I have.

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 256
      • Overall: 296

It’s not that difficult to turn a barrel but one of the main things you must watch for is heat buildup, it will cause the barrel to warp.
      It is best to do it between centers and offsetting the tail stock but I have used a close fitting mandrel ( a bolt action and the mandrel fitting very close in the bolt raceway ) and indicated it true in a 4 jaw chuck then did the turning in segments supporting it in a steady rest then blending everything with a “long angle lathe file ” ( Brownells). This requires some careful measuring and a bit of eyeball work but with patience will produce nice finished work.
      Heat is the bugaboo, take your time and keep things cool. Years ago I saw where a fellow turned a barrel but let it get hot– too hot. The barrel looked nice but was so warped you couldn’t see through it. We straightened it but with the now induced stress’s it walked or changed the point of impact as the barrel warmed from firing.
      I am of the opinion the best barrels are roughed turned as blanks, then drilled and rifled then only the absolute least amount of finish turning being done.
      One process I have heard about but never tried is cyro freezing the barrel to about minus 300 degrees. I think this is supposest to relieve stress as well.
      If after turning the barrel wants to walk or not hold zero you might try this.

goody
      Participant
      • Bronze

Thanks Reg, I have plenty of time so going slow is normal. Plus I am on meds that determine what I do so I am not in the fast lane any more. This barrel is a 6.5-06 with a 9 inch twist and I have no desire to shoot another light bullet in it as a 6.5-06. Been there done it! I do desire to get this barrel down in size so I can fit it into my new stock with hand guard (I have to make the stock). I want to end up with a full stocked military stock carcano and a correct diameter 6.5 x52 barrel. I think that cartridge would be a blast. Looks like I can get a reamer so it should work. I have everything I need(action,barrel,dies,brass, plenty of light weight jacketed bullets) but not assembled. It will be kinda like dropping a 283 in when every one is using 350’s!

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Just take your time, you will do fine. Another trick I have found is do not do the cutting with carbide but rather use high speed steel.
      Carbide cuts more by shearing ( i.e., more tool pressure equals more heat) where as a good sharp, properly ground high speed tool will actually cut with a slicing
      type of cut. At the speeds you should be running you will get good tool life and the lessened tool pressure will help hold down chatter.
      The steady rest is also for support to prevent or at least help control chatter.
      Do get one of those long angle files. I think they have 2 lengths, get the longest. Amazing how well they cut and how much metal you can quickly remove.
      Do a simple sketch layout. You might get dimensions from a favorite barrel taper. I never trusted my so called good right eye, it isn’t always good. I would allow at least .020 to finish cut with the file. Seems like a lot but the long angle file will quickly remove it and it will let you blend your cuts to help prevent that snake eating eggs look as you sight down the barrel.

goody
      Participant
      • Bronze

I’m gonna have a go at it. I do want to do a good job but the handguard will cover the barrel!

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Do post your results.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.