Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Ruger builds a RedHawk that is exactly +- 1.3 inches of bbl exactly what I’ve been wanting for some time . It’s a 45 Colts/ moon clipped ACP/ mag compatible double action !

There are a couple of catches .
      1 I’ve never had a birds head grip on anything I’m wondering about a 22 kpsi 265 gr RNFP and recoil ……much less recovery . The 7.5 BlackHawk has a Pachmar and is “Army” shaped and I don’t shoot many of those because it knocks the once crushed radius arthritis loose .
      2 I doubt very much that the 4.2 vs 5+ will be a big deal .

As a note this is a straight not a Super RedHawk.
      Do I want to take the plunge , is it worth it or should I put it off a month or 2 just to see if it’s lust ?
      ​​​​​

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Get it ………… I’ve been lusting after them for two years now just haven’t seen one in the metal so to speak

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

If you don’t like the recoil, don’t load it as hot.
      I have the 1917 Smith in .45acp, and it does not recoil much.
      I have the Ruger Bisley in .45LC. Loaded at 45LC velocity it doesn’t recoil much
      However, if you load the 45LC to Hot levels, it does start to recoil with authority.
      My point is that a large frame revolver loaded to factory specs (your calibers) won’t recoil very much.
      But if you load 45LC to hot levels, you get what you load for !!

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I don’t have magnumitus . I do load the BlackHawk to some of its potential . Like 1100 fps .It has come to my attention that the 1968 lot of Unique I’ve been worrying down is different that more recent lots . 9.5 gr will get me to that level . For general use those loads are backed down to 8.5 and I’m good with a 250-265 gr bullet at 850-900 .

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Decades ago, I bought a friend’s Super Blackhawk. He bought a Redhawk. Having fired both, I say they are bliss. Single action and double action to their own. You will not regret buying a Redhawk. It is graceful and does not carry the tonnage that the Super Redhawk does.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I guess my real question is how does the birds head translate the recoil compared to the other more Army styles and how much difference is there in shooting.

For whatever it’s worth I have a 1917 , BlackHawk , early M10 , Security 6 357 , 1849 Dragoon and a pair of 1858s . It’s not like I’m looking for a first double action it’s just that everything else is not a Bisely or birds head .

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I took another look I think maybe the grip is more like the security 6 sort of a round butt .
      http://www.theshootingstore.com/single-product?product_id=171846&ref=product

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

That grip is designed to be more comfortable than a gunfighter grip, I believe. At only 22kpsi, I wouldn’t expect it to be bad at all, but I have no experience with that particular setup. I do have a .480 Super Redhawk and do not consider it too punishing. Love it.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

My brother in law has one and loves it.
      I would buy one too but have no money for guns right now.

LenH
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 32
      • Overall: 36

I bought a RedHawk in .45 Colt about 20 years ago. I love the thing. It is a beast if you push the loads but I only did that once. I use the old std. load 8.0 gr of Unique
      under a 255 Keith SWC. I like it better than the old Black Hawk that I’ve had for the last 40 years. I did however replace the wood grips with a Hogue monogrip.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Harter;n13877 wrote: I took another look I think maybe the grip is more like the security 6 sort of a round butt .
      http://www.theshootingstore.com/single-product?product_id=171846&ref=product

yes the grip is a round butt, not a birdshead on the Redhawk that you are looking at.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

The gun feels very balanced in the hand.

I have the 5 1/2″ .41 mag and I like the feel of this new Redhawk better.

I saw one in a gun shop yesterday and it was $839.00
      It was $799 before the first of the year.

Glenn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 222
      • Overall: 265

That is one great looking pistol.  I’d say go for it.

45 Redhawk

OOPS, old post, sorry

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Yes it’s an old post but I’m going to comment also.

I have fairly small hands and having gone through numerous N Frame S&W of 45 Colt, 44 magnum, 41 magnum, 357 Magnum, 44 SPL, and 45 AR I find they all hurt my hand with anything approaching a heavy load.  I tried about every style of grip available to no avail.  It has to do with the length of pull…..it’s just too long for my hand.  Especially if shooting DA.  I have kept one 45 ACP/AR but only shoot it SA anyway.

On the other hand, the Ruger Redhawk and the Colt Anaconda fit my hand perfectly.  I can shoot either both SA and DA w/o the discomfort and down right pain the S&Ws caused.  Years back I found a 4″ 44 Magnum Anaconda before I found a Ruger so that’s what I have.  The Anaconda has the smoothest DA pull right out of the box of any revolver I’ve ever tried.  But alas, the Colt is no longer available.

The Ruger Redhawk is and excellent choice also.  The model pictured above would be an excellent choice.  If I didn’t dearly love my Ruger SAs (BHFT 44, Bisley 41 and OM Vaquero 44-40) I would have one.  More than likely a 44 Magnum but the 45 Auto/45 Colt pictured certainly is appealing.

Larry Gibson

W.R.Buchanan
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 31
      • Overall: 33

That gun is also available with a much softer rubber grip.

The problem with the Smiths is that they hit the web of your hand really hard. This is due to the design of the grip frame and the LOP. The X Frame grip really helps out and it fits everything from L frame up and I have one on my 696, and it is a joy to shoot, but I’m no where close to magnum loads.

The Ruger RH Grip Frame is slightly different and the LOP is a little shorter so it doesn’t hit quite as hard but it still does to a certain extent,, hence the soft rubber grips.

I also have a SBH Bisley and I had Terry Tussey Shorten the barrel to 5″ and install a Weigand Front Sight so I can change inserts easily for different loads. I have a Bowen Rear Sight on it .

I just shot that gun yesterday at Short Range Silhouettes and shot 9/40 which amazed me no end. I actually hit 3 rams at 200 meters. (oh I did shoot off a bench so I kind of cheated, but nobody cared)  I hit 3 chickens at 50M, 3 pigs at 100M and missed all the Turkeys.

I was shooting PC’d 429421’s with 8.0 gr of W231 and the gun was very accurate, plus the barrel was perfectly clean after 50 shots.  One patch to push out the power fouling from the last shot.  I haven’t chronoed this load but it should be running about 850-900 fps.  I was able to shoot the whole course with only slightly different holds at each distance, and the recoil from that load was negligible.

the hold on the Chickens was at the bottom of the foot, pigs were even with the belly, turkeys I couldn’t hit to save my butt, and rams were 2 feet to the right off the butt.  I definitely need to adjust the windage on paper.

The Ruger Bisley Grip Frame is by far the best at controlling recoil out there. Whereas the S&W grip hits the web of your hand, the Bisley Grip transmits the recoil impulse to the heel of your hand which is much meatier and takes the hit much better.

Randy

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I don’t like admitting my adoration of the Ruger Redhawk in mixed company, but its the truth. Bjorn traded me a 44 mag a couple years ago. The way it breaks down and comes apart harkens to the M14 battle rifle. I like overbuilt things, and the Redhawk is build as solid as ordanence.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

In the 45 Colt or 45 ACP cartridge both could be comfortable as they can be loaded to the appropriate level.

W.R.Buchanan
      Participant
      • Bronze

I like these guns a lot also but I already have 3 .44’s and I don’t really need another and that is the reason that I haven’t gotten a GP100/.44.

I already have a S&W 696 and it shoots really well, and the new Ruger GP44 is nothing more than a S&W696 made by Ruger.  If I didn’t have the 696 I’d definitely get one.

The OP was thinking the .45 ACP/45LC but it is only going to shoot well with one or the other load depending on the cylinder throats,,, which I think were setup for the .45LC  Also the big jump before the throat with the ACP is not going to be conducive of guilt edged at accuracy, but for most (98%+) that really won’t be an issue.

I being a .44 guy tend to look at that caliber alone rather than a combo gun, but it all depends on what you are expecting from the gun. .44 Special and Magnum are my favorite Calibers of all time and I have been loading and casting boolits for both since 1976.  Not much you can’t do with a .44.

I also load .45 ACP’s with my new PC’d boolits but they are all shot thru Glocks and 1911’s.

Randy

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

For a thread drift a bit Randy how does the  PC’d bullets shoot within your Glock?

Back on the Thread the short version is not being offered any more, model 5032 is being offered which is a 4.25″ barrel, the 2.75″ would be more my speed in that offering.

W.R.Buchanan
      Participant
      • Bronze

Mike:  the PC’d boolits are the best new innovation in firearms development in the last 25 years.

The biggest advantage is the complete lack of any possibility of leading a barrel !

There is no need for lubricant of any type as the PC is polymer based and has a substantial amount of lubricity. Also the possibility of lube melting down into the powder on a hot day is gone.

If your mold is dropping slightly undersized the PC will add from .002-.004 to the diameter of the boolit, which will allow you to size it down to the right size.

The one I like the best is one patch cleaning. The patch cleans out the powder fouling from the last shot fired.  all the previous fouling was removed by each subsequent shot!

My Glocks and my 1911 runs great and accuracy is just fine for my 25 to 50 yard pistols.  these guns are normally fired at less than 25 yards and the accuracy is just as good as any other type of  bullet I have tried.

I have fired about 200 PC’d rounds thru my  SBH since switching over to PC and the barrel looks like it has been lapped and polished ! I showed it around after the shoot and everyone was amazed.

Randy

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Pretty buddits Randy. I know getting black to come out so clean is a chore!

W.R.Buchanan
      Participant
      • Bronze

Tim actually it is a Piece O Cake. I used an Eastwood’s PC gun $75 and a Toaster Oven my wife abandoned .

The powder was Cardinal brand I got from a friend who runs an industrial paint shop.

I put the tray on a little Lazy Susan so I can rotate it to get complete coverage. In the oven for 20 minutes at @400 F and they’re done.

Now, I had little luck getting anything remotely this good looking with shake and bake, and that’s why I got the gun.

The learning curve was only one batch deep and that’s where I found out I didn’t have complete coverage. The next time I made sure I could see all the way around the boolits to insure I had complete coverage.

After baking, I then shove them thru a Lyman Sizing Die with a push thru holder that “Keith the Perfessor” made and sold over at Cast Boolits.  Never had any PC come off during the sizing. You could do the same thing with Lee Push thru dies.

The whole point here is that all of these boolits will function perfectly in any gun, and whereas some cast boolits can and will cause a variety of problems,,, these don’t cause any… They literally take all the guess work out of using cast boolits.

The hot tip on getting the best shooting results is to have your barrel very well broken in, as the smoother it is the better the PC is going to work and further the polishing.

Just shooting a hundred or so jacketed bullet loads thru a new Redhawk with frequent cleaning should break the barrel in enough that shooting PC’d boolits after would work out well.

I just got a Midway flyer and they are advertising Federal Polymer Coated bullets in bulk for those who don’t want to mess with PC-ing their own.  That would be an easy way to try out the concept prior to getting more involved.

Randy

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I have found that better quality PC renders better quality results. I was buying premium powder from powder by the pound and it was very consistent even with shake-n-bake. The color was Kawasaki Green.

Smoke 4320’s powders work pretty darn well too.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Like I said earlier I would get it if I had the disposable income and it was exactly what “blew my skirt up”

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.