This topic contains 15 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Robroy 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
     DaveInGA 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 44
    • Overall: 50

Over the last several years, I’ve been suffering from arthritis of the spine, Psoriatal Arthritis (think Rheumatoid, very similar) and a persistent nasal drip cough I can’t seem to get rid of. My right arm/shoulder has Bursitis that makes it very painful to bring any rifle to my shoulder, much less shoot it. I have a lot of various calibers and guns, as well as lots of reloading equipment and materials. In addition to all this, they tell me my liver is “fatty” and may/is going bad, even though I’ve never drank a whole lot and nothing for the last 20 years or so.

So I’m debating selling off my firearms and turning them into cash or perhaps giving them to my daughter’s sons. My own son has never been able to find a woman he is satisfied with and I’m not sure he ever will. He’s not gay, but he’s 30 now and still dating. Hell, I may be dead and in the grave by the time he finds a wife. I did give him a good handful the last time he visited me, premium AR’s, M1 rifle, 1911’s and some other guns.

My daughter’s husband is a good father and ironically, is a lot like me. He is a gun nut, owns a lot of firearms, shoots a lot and takes his sons hunting, fishing and shooting. He has three boys and a girl. They’re young, ranging from a high of about 7 or 8 years old to a low of still in diapers for the girl. My daughter can shoot and is conservative and pro gun. My conundrum is the Dad already owns a bunch of firearms, so I’m not sure how much interest he’ll have in my milsurp collection, though I know he owns an M1 rifle.

Additionally, the collection I have would provide a large quantity of cash to add to what I already have, allowing me to pay off my mortgage fairly easily and make sure my wife has a paid for place to live if I pass on.

I would love to hear the wisdom and thinking of the older men on the forum related to these things. I think I’m too close to the problem and simply can’t see the forest for the trees.

Best Regards,

Dave

Mike F H 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 21
    • Overall: 21

Pretty simple to me,look after your wife and yourself,if you start to sell them now,you have time on your side to get a better result.I would tell your family of your intentions and give them the opportunity to purchase a favourite firearm,if they wish.
    Mike.

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 288
    • Overall: 305

If you’ve already given your children/grandchildren the guns they’d cherish, then selling the rest is the wise move. You know their worth.

Smithbrosarchery 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 15
    • Overall: 16

I’d keep a cpl,maybe gift one more?Then sell knowing someone will get good usage from them.Best wishes,BW

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 787
    • Overall: 857

In my future I face a similar situation .
    Im an only so that will make the what to do with my folks stash easier . If they decide to sell there are several I would buy . I think odds are against them selling although it would be a fast track to bucks .

In my own stash I tried to have a shotgun ,rifle and pistol for each kid so they would be able to pursue whatever hunting etc they wanted …..the baby is a PTSD patient and just turned 27 and the oldest is a 31 yo corporal in the Army . So all is set aside and tagged for those 4 and as the grands come of an age of clear choice there will be pieces set aside for them .
    Since they are still all mine I would have them to sell in the event of a life change . I have only a couple that are of family/ historical significance and 3 that have to be loaded for or not used . That makes the keep or sell and more importantly whom to sell to much easier .

I say give the family first shot at purchase after they have that particular piece divy up family heirlooms from before you and send the rest to open market but wait till tax day . Odds are good that the kids will understand the need and it sounds as if they will be able to help .

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 678
    • Overall: 830

I am working on a list that my children/grandchildren/nieces/nephews/siblings can choose from. My rules are 1) No family heirlooms are ever to be sold, 2) The value of each of their total gift be fair and proportionate, and 3) If they decide to sell anything it must be first offered to other family members.

My main quandary is that my 23 year old granddaughter is mentally handicapped, and will be a 3rd grader for ever. She knows how to drive because I taught her. She drove the 1/2 mile driveway by herself on the ranch where I lived in Colorado. She is good with gun safety. I taught her that too. I don’t want her to be left out, but I don’t know what the state of Wisconsin will allow. Same for her legal caretaker.

skeettx 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 197
    • Overall: 213

Take care of the wife FIRST

AND you can trade some of them for a super accurate 22 bolt action rifle and bench shoot.
    Why we even open and close the bolt for a friend and he aims and pulls the trigger.
    He is quite the shot.

Mike

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 288
    • Overall: 305

skeettx;n12487 wrote: Take care of the wife FIRST

Amen Amen Amen

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 292
    • Overall: 293

IMO we all have that problem sooner or later. Not just guns but all our ‘stuff’. In truth, you can’t even give a lot of it away. Both my bros. have tried to get rid of a couple pistols, one was rusty 357 and he turned it in to the city to get ‘recycled’ the other is a cheap 22 not worth anything. In truth, most of our stuff will go to the vultures or landfill, period. Guns will probably outlast anything else we have, I decided to let the kids families take what they want and it’s their problem to dispose of the rest. I guess if you can make more than the admission fee at gun show, sell to the vultures there.

lar45 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 224
    • Overall: 245

If you are going to sell them, then sell each one individually.
    several years ago, a friend of a friend got a terminal illness and had a small collection of guns that needed to be sold to cover medical bills.
    at first they had a gun shop come in to make an offer of $900. They asked my opinion on it. After looking them over I offered to sell it all and guaranteed that I Could get more.
    I cleaned and oiled everything, looked up prices and put an ad in the thrifty nickel to sell on a Saturday.
    I was totally sold out in about 45 minutes and made $3650 . They were a bit over whelmed when I handed over the big wad of cash. They gave me a Bench Made pocket knife as a thank you.

eeyore 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 22
    • Overall: 26

Sounds like your kids are good folk and can take care of themselves.

Set the few keepers you have to pass along aside.

Then do what you committed to in front of your friends and family and God so many years ago.

Take care of your beautiful and loving bride and then yourself.

DaveInGA 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 44
    • Overall: 50

Lars, you’re a good man. I’m pretty sure most of what I have is worth over 600 dollars, some as much as $1500.00 or better. I think I will take care of the wife first and then see what happens.

Thank you Gentlemen,

Dave

dragon813gt 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 79
    • Overall: 84

Keep the meaningful ones. Sell everything else. My kids are young so I don’t know what the future holds. I’m hoping they will want the guns. But I bought them their own that they have used. Mine may have no sentimental value to them. Hopefully they day I have to make the decision is decades in the futire. I’d rather sell them to someone like myself that will use and enjoy them then give them to someone that has no use for them.

Take care of your wife first and foremost. No mortgage payment means one huge burden she won’t have to worry about.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 525
    • Overall: 579

Keep your prized best ones, and sell off the rest.
    I had a friend pass away that had no plans on what or how to dissolve his possessions. It was ugly. A lawyer ended up with his collection.
    Sell off enough to get you down to a precious few, sell before you get too bad off to capture the market value. The wife probably doesn’t know the values nor market as well as you do, so relief her of dissolving all the stuff.

Im contemplating the similar example myself.

LenH 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 32
    • Overall: 36

I had an older friend who was my mentor to reloading & casting, put price tags on everything he had in his reloading/gun room. I asked him what was up and he told me
    that he could die at anytime and his wife wouldn’t know what to sell if for and now she does. He was in his 80’s when I noticed the price tags. I wound up buying some items
    and so did a bunch of his younger friends.

I will probably do the same thing in a few years.

Robroy 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 8
    • Overall: 10

It has been 6 years since my dad died and I still have a garage full of antique wood working tools and picture frames. Do your heirs a favor and sell the battery if you can. Cash doesn’t have the sentimental value of chatle and is more useful. I have to take my own advice and liquidate the stuff and ignore the sentiment so my wife has a bit of cash under the matress.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us