This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  kens 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
     Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

My daughter is 8 years old, blond and sweet as can be. She’s also a good shot, and has grown up immersed in firearm culture and shooting. She’s proficient at gun handling, and can teach boys twice her age about safety rules. All in all a very well rounded young lady. Her rifle is a Rossi 92 in 44 Magnum I cut down for her. She’s a fairly proficient shot with that rifle.

Earlier today, I had to go help a buddy move into his new house. I was not expecting anyone to come to the shop, but walk in’s have been known to happen. While I was gone, a man drove up in a big truck and just sat there in the driveway. My daughter decided to investigate and find out what his business is here so she tucked her rifle under her arm, finger off the trigger and walked up to the big ol truck. The man inside rolled down the window and asked her please not shoot him. She apologized for scaring him (at no time did she point the rifle at him) and asked what he needed here. He explained that he had a cartridge stuck in his AR-15 and needed the gunsmith to get it out. She politely gave him my number, went back inside, and returned her rifle to it’s place beside the door.

I was called by the guy and drove home immediately to tend to his needs. While I was working on his rifle, he said “BTW, I met your daughter earlier”.

“Oh?” I said.

“Yeah I did. She came out of the house with a rifle under her arm and asked me what my business was”.

“Well, you can never be too careful” I said. “Some folks might think of the place as a bit of a soft target without me here, so I taught her to shoot. That’s her rifle, and she’s pretty handy with it. Sorry if she worried you.”

He said, “Oh that’s alright! Quite an impressive young lady you have there!”

I certainly think so! Very proud of my daughter.

skeettx 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 197
    • Overall: 213

YEEE HAWWWW!!
    Best news of the day
    Mike

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 531
    • Overall: 587

On the daughter subject,,

Mine was about 12 or 13 at the time; a group of us guys were going out to shoot clay pidgeons, like a Annie Oakley game with shotguns. A group of us line up and the first guy ‘out’ pulls the trap for next round. shoot out of turn and you’re out. if you break one, everybody that shot before you is ‘out’, and so on until someone is ‘last man standing’.

I was taking the daughter with me, and looking for her a shotgun that kinda fit; my own youth 20ga single shot seemed to have a long pull for her. tried a SxS 20 and too long, 12ga pump, too long. and so on.

I finally found the ‘eureka’ gun; it was a 12 ga nasty black pump, extended magazine tube, riot barrel. the shortest butt stock I could find was a riot gun, and so off we went. The firing line was somewhat clumsy looking since many had Beretta’s, Rem 1100’s, O/U’s,  ‘engraved  SxS’, and then there is my youngest girl with a ‘black tactical riot’ pump.

She busted birds with the rest of us, and a couple times she was the ‘last man standing’

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Har!!! That’s awesome kens!!! Makes you right proud.

GhostHawk 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 258
    • Overall: 260

The only real regret I have is that I met my wife of 21 years too late. Her daughter was 14 when we married and I simply could not reach her. She was too old, to liberal, and too steeped in anti gun culture for me to be able to do much besides let her walk her own path. She is starting to come around though, we have talked guns a few times in the last few years. Now that she has children of her own to protect she is starting to see things differently.

Goodsteel you give your daughter a hug from me, and thank your lucky stars sir. You have a jewel of great price there who will make some deserving young man an awesome partner.  You have earned some of that, and well done on doing so. You have every right to be proud.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I got both my girls started with .22’s. Taught them all the safety stuff. When they could handle the .22’s, I moved them up to .38, then in time on to Hi-Power, and then to 1911.

After awhile I started to notice if I had a .22 and a Hi-Power in the range bag, the .22’s were silent, and they ran me out of 9mm ammo.

I thought they liked the Hi-Power, so the next trip was 9mm and 1911. this time the 9mm was silent and they ran me out of .45 ammo. What’s up with that?? they dont like the double stack firepower??

So the last trip was a complete and full bag, .22, 9mm, 45acp, and a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk, 7 1/2″ .45LC.

you may have guessed this one,,,,,,,,,, they ran me out of .45LC.

The sight of your teenager girls handling .45 slide release, and the single action loading gate is just awesome.

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 802
    • Overall: 875

I can’t brag much about my daughters shooting skills . The oldest is a fair field shot . She has a passion for canvasbacks and mallards and has beheaded a few rabbits with a 12 ga . She qualified 2 points off sharpshooter (or whatever the next step above marksman is now) for the Navy . As a Gunners mate she wanted to qualify with the Marines 1911 ……… 3 of them took her to the pre-qualification familiarization shoot and a Gunny refused to qualify her after her first mag on the line . I guess all 7 in the X rings at 25 yd scares them ……4 in chest 3 in head of the 6ft man silly wet .

The younger claims bad vision but has shot press on milk jug lids off enough to be sure it isn’t a fluke .

The boys are/have been Army qualified with 2 rifles and the M9 .
    The youngest forged an unfortunate path by shooting a mixed qualification as an ambidextrous shooter . No need really to paint the value of a guy that can clear and cover right turns and left from behind the corner .

They both scored within a point or 2 of the next step .

In their teens we shot a bunch of birds together and a couple of deer .

We never did any competition shooting but then the 4 kids playing catch-up to dad was probably more competitive that points would have been for them .

I wasn’t much of a target shooter and didn’t set a very high bar there but there was a high bar for field shooting .

The grands aren’t working out so well ……I don’t know if it is just a lack of attention span or if it’s something I should have done that I didn’t or if that gene just didn’t make it to the pool . 8-10 there’s still hope .

lead-1 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 82
    • Overall: 90

Good training and practice raises good, safe shooters, congrats. Now can I brag too, My youngest likes shooting and is a recent hire as a polieman, some of the guys he trained with called him a gun nut and said he was too serious.

He just had qualifications for the dept. he is on and with their scoring system he got a 24/25 with his duty weapon, a 25/25 with his backup, a 25/25 shotgun and 24/25 with his AR. Quieted down a few critics and got the attaboy from the bosses.

My oldest is more of a hunter than paper/recreational shooter but he is teaching his woman and kids to handle firearms and bows.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

That is kind of like my mantra with my kids,

I don’t expect them to be a gear jammin’ race car driver,,,,,,but I do require them to know how to drive a stick shift.

I don’t expect them to be Olympic gold winners,,,,,,but I do require them to know how to swim.

I don’t expect them to turn into a gun nut,,,,,,,,,,but I do require them to understand how use shoot a gun.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.