Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I stumbled across this somewhere on the net, and I just had to pass it on. This guy got bit by all those little details I try to steer my clients away from.
      Keep in mind, a custom target rifle in 308 would do everything this hombre needed to do at the range he states he is shooting at.

Let’s start with the build. I poured over $6k into this rifle. Custom action (PTG B2), 30″ Bartlein MTU barrel, Timney trigger, etc. Then came the dies, the custom chamber gauges (go / no-go), reamer, and more.

Making the rounds isn’t easy and finding the host brass (at least at the time) was nearly impossible. On top of this, no matter how many steps: the neck resizing, trimming, neck-turning….. the brass isn’t really accurate until being fire-formed. Since it is a .338 Edge +P, only Lapua 300gr Scenars are worth it. At $.80 – $1 a piece, you are burning a couple hundred just to get the brass correct.

Now, this build used a single piece bolt with a large Sako extractor. Guess what? The extractor breaks (well shatters) at 250ish rounds. I haven’t figured out why, and PTG is replacing them while trying to help me figure out the issue, but when you put all the work into making rounds and going for a range trip, the random extractor issue can cut a day short.

Then there are my own mistakes. The trigger has a 10 OZ pull. Yea, I shouldn’t have done that, but it was put in an MDT Tac-21. Do you know what a pain in the ass it is to get the trigger into that system? Hint – it isn’t easy. Don’t forget I am talking about what a waste of money this build was, not all .338 Edges.

Magazine feeding? Look it up. In order to support the round I have to use an extended length (CIP+) Lapua mag and cut the forward rib out to fit the round because the shoulder is quite a bit forward compared to the Lapua Mag. Routing out that rib is a PAIN because of the flex of the mag and required a custom mag-well piece from MDT to fit it. Then I use aluminum aircraft tape to re-seal the mag to protect from dirt entering it. Yea.. I have a beautiful kote’d rifle with a taped up magazine.

Then I put a Fat Bastard break on it. Do you have any idea how much I am hated when I bring this out? I double up on hearing to shoot it and even if there is 6+ feet between me and the next shooter, he is getting off his gun when I am on mine. The only good part is that after 5 shots, you have to let the barrel rest and even then you are lucky to get 1500 rounds out of it before the throat is just toast.

Finally (yes finally) I have no where to shoot this. I have printed same-whole groups at 200 yards. It is unbelievably accurate. With an .8-ish BC and moving a 300gr projectile at 3075fps (which is what I am shooting at) this is a 2000+ yard gun. If I am remembering correctly it goes trans-sonic at 2800 or so yards. The longest range I can shoot it at is (was) 500 yards – that place recently shut down. I have access to ranges that go out to 1300+ yards, but they do not allow .338 LM so .338 Edge is way out.

So it was an expensive build, that is prone to randomly breaking, that is borderline dangerous (see trigger), in a round that is expensive and not industry supported, expensive to shoot, and doesn’t make sense in any of the environments I shoot. Now Nosler comes out with a cartridge that would have fit on my chosen platform which at the very least has SOME industry support.

Just read this post twice and soak in my stupidity.

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

What’s the old saying?
      A fool and his money are soon parted?
      :rolleyes:

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

This dude must have spent months dreaming about the ultimate rifle and doing Internet research to find the best doo dad’s used on ANY rifle and thinking if a way to incorporate it on this one.
      A well executed build epitomizes the concept of “understated excellence”. A rifle must be built with solid function as a foundation. Certain parts will be added to increase the usefulness of the rifle in the situation it was built to handle. Many people spend their time dreaming about those things with total disregard for the fact that the stripped rifle has to be able to reliably shoot a full compliment of ammunition without a hitch. None of the extras mean anything if you don’t have that foundation to build them on.
      Once you have the foundation, remember there is such a thing as a cake with
      too much icing.

Just a thought on cartridge selection. Be realistic about how far you’re going to PRACTICE shooting, because if you can’t even practice shooting at extended ranges, you’ve got no business thinking you can take a shot at a living creature any further than that.
      The skill of the guy behind the rifle is the most important factor in hitting a target at long range. All an experienced shooter needs is a rifle with a cone of fire smaller than the target to perform incredible shots, and one of the secrets to making those shots is to use just enough rifle to get the job done. Don’t subject yourself to unpleasant recoil and noise and weight unless you’re getting something your really need for it! most folks pay for the capability but waste it at close range (I’m guilty of this myself).

Just a few thoughts.

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

The passage quoted surely reeks of “I’ve got the coolest toy on the block”. This dude is bragging about his impractical gun in a thinly veiled complaint of how much he’s spent. (Also bragging). Tim is correct, a .308 Win target gun would have done him just fine. But then, he’d be like the rest of us.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

So he has a super mag wildcat loaded to what the heck were you thinking shooting buck a pop bullets to form brass ?

Why on earth would you use ,if I understood correctly , a fixed extractor on a rotating extractor bolt ?

I’m the king of making things work that might not be exactly right but I agree with the fool and his money…….

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

uber7mm;n10931 wrote: The passage quoted surely reeks of “I’ve got the coolest toy on the block”. This dude is bragging about his impractical gun in a thinly veiled complaint of how much he’s spent. (Also bragging). Tim is correct, a .308 Win target gun would have done him just fine. But then, he’d be like the rest of us.

I agree. But that, in and of itself, is completely silly. It’s the coolest toy on the block in this dude’s mind only.
      A total waste of good components. Next time he should flush $8K down the toilet, light off a string of black cats, and call it a day. LOL!

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

Veritas!

Should have spent a G note on a trick 308 rifle, and the rest on optics…….

But that’s only me…..
      (if I was born wealthy and good looking)!

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

$8K of Black Cat firecrackers. Now, that I could enjoy. Light the fuse just before midnight on December 31st, and ….. just how long would that fun last?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Sometimes people call me that really make me shake my head.
      Conversation goes like this:
      Hello Malcolm, I hear you build accurate rifles. I want you to build me one. I’ve got this barrel I got on ebay, and my old deer rifle and I want it chambered in 22mmRUM AI rimless rebated. I read on the internet it’s the very best! I want to know what kind of laser you recommend in conjunction with a nightvision rangefinding scope and whether you think RH flutes or left hand flutes on the barrel are better for accuracy? Oh, and how much is this going to cost me?

How does one address such a childlike trainwreck of misinformation?

I usually start by asking what style rifle they are most familiar with and what cartridge they have the most trigger time behind. Usually someone asking these sorts of questions answer something to the effect that they shot a deer once with a 30-30 that their dad swore was a heart shot at over 200 yards, and if it hadn’t been for the 30-30 being so under power, they would have actually found it.

In these situations, I tell them exactly how much it will cost them to build the rifle of their interweb dreams as quickly as possible so they will go away and never call me again.

People who show up asking for wild and crazy things pretty much wouldn’t know a good shooting rifle if they were given it for Christmas, so it takes me a minute to find out if they really know what they are talking about or if any of this will result in me getting a check when it’s all said and done.

On the other hand. When I get a call from an old soldier who says he has a Winchester M70 with a shot out barrel and he wants it rebarreled to 30-06, the hair on my arms stands up. I listen to a gentleman like this when he tells me what he needs to make his rifle shoot better than he does……..and he listens to me.

He is the total opposite of the internet commando, and he’ll take a $600 build and make it sing like a french soprano and everybody who got beat by him will wonder where he got his rifle, with hardly a thought given to the hours and years he put in learning to play the averages with his weapon.
      Guys like the one in the OP, will never be that cool. Gotta watch those old soldiers.

gwpercle
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 36
      • Overall: 38

My Daddy would say the guy has more money than sense.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.