Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

My Dad has found that he’s over gunned for the heavily armored Arkansas whitetail with his 25-06′ . He loves the 25s , I don’t get it the 7mm is more of everything except speed . I guess that would be why barrels come in about .007 steps from .178 to .510 more or less .

Anyway he thinks a 257 Roberts needs to be run wide open which puts it at all but start loads of the 06′ . He won’t even discuss a 250 Savage , you know that it got that bad wrap for the marginal stability over 100gr .

I think I have the answer . He gets a modern high speed rocket sled in 25 cal and I get him to slow down and stop shotguning the off shoulder or out n out reducing it to bone meal burger .
      The winner is the 25 Souper , AkA 25-308 . I can turn it down to standard Roberts pressure with Max loads for the Savage and we all go home happy .
      Now all I have to do is find a short action donor that’s beat up or shot out that can be had cheap and a new 25 cal barrel , $250 worth of loading and trim dies fell in my lap , so it’s kind of essential to follow the lead at this point . I do have a 1916 Gew 98 with a Jeager trigger in it and an early 197? probably Herter’s semi-inletted stock …. Vintage appeal and modern throttle authority …….better save that for the 257 Robert in case I can’t sell him on the Souper .

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213
      Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

This particular 25 is a 95% throttle junkie .
      Just something different ……

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

I’ve read that guys use to ream out their 300 Savages to 308 Win.  Could the same be said for a 250 Savage conversion to 25 Souper?

The old timers around here all use to use 257 Bobs with great success.  That was before the belted case craze.  If I see a 257 Bob (Mauser Action) on the used rack it’s usually gone before I can come back with my money.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Yes , according to Ackley I need a 7mm 08 neck deck to go from 308 to 257 in a straight neck down .
      A 250 Savage can be reamed . C4D even has a reamer available .

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Reading this brought up mental images of Dad’s ole 25-20 not a contender for the velocity that Harter is posting.

But if a correctly place shot is done will dispatch deer quite frequently, Quarter bores can be quite interesting to say the least.

Harter keep us posted on the outcome, twisted correctly the 250 Savage should be a work horse, and of course the 257 Roberts is just a great go to.

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

Harter,

Is a 308 Win case going to be a long enough to make 25 Soupers?   I’m really unfamiliar with the 25-08, but a 308 Win case (2.015″) isn’t quite long enough to neck down to 7mm08.  (2.035″).  The 243 Win case might be a better choice coming in at  2.045″ for 7mm08s.  Just a little neck trimming.

Uber

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

When this is done I have a small hoard 243 and no desire to feed a 6mm .
      In the process of getting these dies for next to zip I got 2 form/trim dies for about the same price so it would only take a minute to check it out .

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Uber7mm, I would like to point out that if a custom barrel is being reamed, the chamber depth and thus the brass length, is completely at the discretion of the gunsmith (as we pointed out ever so profoundly with the 30 and 35XCB projects).

Very worth keeping that flexibility in mind (especially with Harter around. The guy will literally use half a dozen reamers to get the result he wants if they are available for use. LOL!)

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

GS
      The 308 headspace gauges should do the job ? Assuming one were to salvage a 250 Savage take off ?

I might be tempted to leave some extra neck length .
      Hummmm 3 reamers …….. 🙂 Maybe not .

At least there shouldn’t be any surprises like the 270 neck being bigger than 7mm neck .

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.