Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      JRR
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 84
      • Overall: 107

It was a gusty morning. Wind right to left. 22lr @ 100 yards. A full box of 50 rounds. SK standard +.

Aim point 6 o’clock hold on the 6″ black.

Very little air movement at table but substantial out at 100,

I think a 22 at 100 could be an excellent training tool to learn the effects of wind and how to cope. Much less expensive than expelling many center fire rounds at long distance.
      Jeff

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Larry Gibson has mentioned to me on several occasions, that if I really want to learn to play in the wind, 22s at 200 yards is the way to get the feel of it. I have a bias against ammo I can’t reload, but as they say a picture is worth 1000 words. Very interesting!

I’m curious what the rifle is in the picture. CZ with a Boyde’s stock?

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 81
      • Overall: 86

It would be less expensive to shoot .38 Spl than .22’s I have been eyeing a Ruger M77 in .357/.38. Just cannot justify close to $700 for a plinking gun when I have three lever actions already that shoot the cartridge.

JRR
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 84
      • Overall: 107

CZ Ultra Lux. Boyd’s Pro Varmit Stock. BRNO target peep sights.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

dverna;n7215 wrote: It would be less expensive to shoot .38 Spl than .22’s I have been eyeing a Ruger M77 in .357/.38. Just cannot justify close to $700 for a plinking gun when I have three lever actions already that shoot the cartridge.

Oh you mean like this one? It’s not stock. This fine 77/357 was custom built right here at MBT.
      22″ Krieger barrel
      Timney custom trigger
      Boyde’s precision Laminate stock with adjustable comb
      M1A tritium lamp front post / NECG custom rear aperture peep
      Bedded with MilSpec bedding compound.

Heck of a way to see what the wind is doing. LOL!

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

Much less expensive than expelling many center fire rounds Not anymore! Stock marlin used to do good @ 50 but even with a scope – 100 was a carp shoot.

Rossi.45
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 12
      • Overall: 13

200yds with a .22lr is interesting . .. 300yds gets really interesting, easy enough with no wind but watch those groups open up when it starts to pickup

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

Good golly.Get one the nicer air rifles and see what the wind does at even 50 yards.Some those air rifle enthusiasts are near wizards at doping wind

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

I grew up in western KS shooting almost all .22 LR. Continued when I got out of the navy, but used a Ruger stainless single-six with 9.5 inch barrel. You really learn something about doping wind there. Something seldom discussed are the effects of shooting across variances in ground between the shooter and target. Shooting across a deep canyon or across a farm terrace in stiff winds creates some effect vertically.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.