This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Rattlesnake Charlie 2 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
     Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

This past rifle deer season in Kansas I froze in my blind, walked probably 15 miles with some of it while snowing. I never saw a buck. Attached is a photo of a shed my brother picked up this past week while feeding cattle in the very area I had hunted. That is one sneaky buck. It is getting personal now.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 531
    • Overall: 587

Same thing down here, coastal Georgia. I never saw a buck. We had weird weather tho. It was a really drought summer, then a hurricane dumped 2 feet of rain in 18 hours, blew over most of the oaks, then dried out again for 6 weeks.
    I like to know where is that deer that leaves behind the giant foot print, with the dew claws, where he at? How come you never see him? Can’t even see him from a distance.!!

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

My brother and I have been thinking over why this past season we just didn’t see the deer like the previous seasons. Not much change in crops, but the crick did get a haircut when the tornado took out the ole farmstead in May. That is the only thing we can see that might have caused a change in behavior. Looking forward to 2017.

Bodean98 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 103
    • Overall: 111

“Crick”
    HA! You gave away some of your “Kansas” roots there.
    What part of Kansas is your place? My FIL owns land by a small town called Belpre. All in CRP and I used to hunt pheasant there every year. Haven’t been in about 5 years though.:(
    We would usually kick up some whitetails while pheasant hunting and on rare occasion some mule deer. I saw some respectable bucks but nothing really big. You had to get over on the Ark river to find the big boys.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

26 miles SSW of Ness City, KS. 16 to the nearest blacktop. BTW, “crick” is the official term for the Mississippi River. I have always tried to stay west of it, but sometimes I have had to cross it for work to keep bellies full. My brother is the only one with alfalfa bottoms in the area now. Most of everything is in CRP. I have high hopes for this next deer season. He has a quarter about 10 mi NW of the home place that he put into CRP with a cover crop that is some kind of sorghum that is about 10 ft tall, loaded with grain in the head. That’s where I bagged my pheasant while scouting for deer the few days between Thanksgiving and the opening of firearms deer in Unit 17. That place had more pheasants than I’ve seen out there in a decade.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.