Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      W.R.Buchanan
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Comments: 31
      • Overall: 33

When learning any new subject it is a good idea to study the basics first so that you understand the finer points as you progress.

I know this sounds obvious…

But how often do we see guys new to Reloading asking the simplest of questions that could have been answered by simply reading the instructions in the front of virtually every reloading manual or with their Lee Loader.

I comment on this phenomenon frequently, and it applies to a variety of subjects, not isolated to Reloading.

When someone comes to me asking about reloading their ammo and wanting to know what equipment they should buy, I generally refer them to the Lee Classic Loader. It is the simplest method of reloading ammunition there is. Thus it should be the easiest way to learn the basic steps of the reloading process available. If you don’t understand the basics you are doomed to failure.

Most people don’t seem to understand that in grade school you are being taught the fundamentals of Reading Writing and Arithmetic which are the fundamental skills necessary to compete in our society. (a shame that the Liberals and the Teachers Union have ruined this for most kids nowadays in the quest to Dumb Down our Society, but they’re working for the greater good? A topic for another time.)

As you progressed thru school they upped the gradient and taught you things that built onto your previous understanding,,, unless you didn’t get it in the first place, in which case you got some of what they were teaching, but missed a lot more. Like ME!

As such those who grasped those subjects well in school tended to do better in life than those who played hooky. I wish I’d paid attention a little more in my English classes as my writing skills are hampered by my lack of complete understanding of the mechanics of the English Language. I literally flunked Senior English and had to go to Summer School to get my High School Diploma..I didn’t get to go to Disneyland with everyone else either which sucked!

But there was a very good reason why I wasn’t paying attention. I was crippled by these following issues.

please take note:

There are three “barriers to education.” They are 1. “Educating on too steep a gradient.” 2. Educating in the Absence of Mass.” 3. And the biggest,,, “The Mis-Understood Word.”

These are generally not taught in schools, or if they are, it is in a left handed way that doesn’t really stress their importance or clearly define them.

Educating on Too Steep a Gradient is a pretty easy concept. You have to learn how to walk, before you can learn how to run. Simple as that. Basics before more complicated operations. Everybody knows this I think?

Educating in the Absence of Mass is simple as well. It is impossible to teach a person about engines if you don’t have any engines for him to look at and put his hands on. You can kind of do it with books, but without the real thing to play with it won’t be as effective.

But the real killer is the Mis- Understood word, or in some cases no understanding of the word at all.

This one evokes all sorts of bad responses from simply no response at all,,, to all out war! I would submit it has been at the root of all human conflict since the beginning of time.

I’m going to focus on the Mis Understood word as it has the most negative effects.

How often have you read something and at the end of the paragraph had no idea what you just read?,,, or simply fell asleep? Have you had someone Yawn while you were talking to them? you probably said something they didn’t understand..

It happens to everyone and usually it happens frequently. Somewhere in that previous paragraph there was a word that you didn’t fully understand. If you were to go back over that paragraph and find that word and look it up until you did understand it in it’s specific context, then all of a sudden after re reading that paragraph the ideas being conveyed would be come very clear. If you knew what you said and explained it to the Yawner in different terms that he did understand he would stop yawning.

It works, take my word for it and just do it! When have I steered you wrong?

So buy using a Lee Loader to begin the process we would see that, First,,, it is the simplest way to learn the subject of Reloading and therefore you are on the right gradient. Second you have something in your hand while you are learning the subject and doing the steps in order, and Third,,, the instructions are clear and easy to understand as long as YOU fully understand the words on the paper,,, and if you feel that blank feeling after reading one of the instructional paragraphs, try finding the word you don’t understand and looking it up in a dictionary.

For us more seasoned Reloaders,,,, it will amaze you just how enlightening re-reading the instructions for a Lee Loader can be when read in this new unit of time..

And finally in the immortal words of Bill Clinton,,, “It all depends on what the meaning of ‘IS’ ,,,, is?” . Incidentally, one of the simplest words in the English Language is one of the most difficult concepts to grasp. Just look it up and get back to me with your thoughts?

Please note: these concepts I’ve laid out here apply to pretty much everything,,, not just reloading! I didn’t spend an hour writing all this for the hell of it, so please read it and re read it until you’ve got the gist of the subject.

It will make you a better more competent person!

Randy

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

So what are you trying to say πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚
      OH wait a minute while I update my “status”, tweet, skip to the end and post a question on how to do it

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

Its a little late for most adults but I’ve tried to stress the importance of reading to younger kids.Not just being able to read but to really understand what you are reading.With this ability and a book or in this day internet one can learn to do ANYTHING.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

After moving a 1200lb stack of material over about an inch to drop into a spacer with an 8ft 2×4 this kid (about 25) says “neat trick”, thank pythogrous(sp) ” , “who?” , I repeated it ,”you know ancient Greek Atlas carried the weight of and the world on his shoulders he said give me a lever a fulcrum and a place to stand and I shall move the world……. still not a glimmer. ….triangle math….. “oh yeah “nodding even more confused.

My daughter failed the math proficiency exams 5x , there are only 3 different tests she had to have taken at least one of them 2x . The problem wasn’t that she didn’t know the tools or what they were for but that she didn’t have a use for them so on a daddy daughter hunting trip I ran her through a flight plan ,fuel consumption cost for the trip ,miles and time thing using all of the algabra and geometry and numbers I could keep in my head and drive too. 15 minutes it all made perfect sense and it was all usable . She went back took the 6th test and bumped from a high score of 52 up to 96. The trick became finding the means to to make it stick and let it all work. The teachers are so buried in meeting mandatory time lines there’s no room to teach or find the key that unlocks the door for that 1 kid that has all the tools knows what their for but can’t figure out how to use them.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…

After moving a 1200lb stack of material over about an inch to drop into a spacer with an 8ft 2×4 this kid (about 25) says “neat trick”, thank pythogrous(sp) ” , “who?” , I repeated it ,”you know ancient Greek Atlas carried the weight of and the world on his shoulders he said give me a lever a fulcrum and a place to stand and I shall move the world……. still not a glimmer. ….triangle math….. “oh yeah “nodding even more confused.

My daughter failed the math proficiency exams 5x , there are only 3 different tests she had to have taken at least one of them 2x . The problem wasn’t that she didn’t know the tools or what they were for but that she didn’t have a use for them so on a daddy daughter hunting trip I ran her through a flight plan ,fuel consumption cost for the trip ,miles and time thing using all of the algabra and geometry and numbers I could keep in my head and drive too. 15 minutes it all made perfect sense and it was all usable . She went back took the 6th test and bumped from a high score of 52 up to 96. The trick became finding the means to to make it stick and let it all work. The teachers are so buried in meeting mandatory time lines there’s no room to teach or find the key that unlocks the door for that 1 kid that has all the tools knows what their for but can’t figure out how to use them.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

Another excellent point.Was in my 30’s before I understood what algebra was for.If I’d had a teacher or anyone show me how ballistic tables are made you can bet I’d paid a lot more attention in math class.AxB=AB yeah I got it.So what?yawn

seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Comments: 64
      • Overall: 72

The lever quote was from Archimedes, not Pythagoras. As to the OP’s learning theories, you are partly on, partly off. Sure, we learn new stuff by trying to correlate the new stuff to stuff we already know. In education that is called creating a cognitive hook. Creating cognitive hooks is what good teachers do, but you would be surprised how few actually do this. A novice reloader with no previous mechanical skills and background in mechanical language may find a teacher who can create cognitive hooks far more useful than merely reading directions. Or sometimes a good video helps us visualize the nuance that written instructions leave out. If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth a book. Just my thoughts from a lowly school superintendent.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…

At risk of of being wrong but tongue in cheapk…..it’s all Greek to me .
      I’d have made a lousy teacher but I somehow managed to get 4 kids to adulthood with a hunger for learning and the tools to sometimes go around the obvious while staying within the guidelines to resolve a problem.

The biggest hurdles in the classroom today is that learning is not inspiration to learn more anymore. It is more important to by virtue of mandates to follow a minimum schedule of learned events rather than to look in the corners while kids are quietly shoved along from 1 room to the next.

My son’s 8th grade history teacher was caught flat footed when he answered a Columbus question with information not in the reading from the text book and had to look up the word heresy because she didn’t have a clue and was shocked that he had taken the time to explore the Spanish Inquesision (sp). In another case the English Lit teacher informed my youngest girl that Fahrenheit 451 was inappropriate reading because it was about burning books …..proof to me that she had never read it. I’m sure I could point to dozens of other events given time but here’s the fatal flaw this summer is their 10 yr reunion.
      I’m raising 2 of my granddaughters 1 has required special learning brought by neglect, that’s why I have her the mother is a gem, she is as of testing just 7 months behind now in the 3rd grade after being in school for 6 yrs . Now I tax her with learning more and skills and short cuts and all of the things that I can do to get her up to speed and yet with no hold backs she is at 3rd and 7 with a 3rd and toe hold. The word letter number reading games etc on road trips and at home and the memory games and all the rest. . She’s not low aptitude it’s just that 9 teachers ,myself Ms,and whoever else along the way haven’t found the key or figured out the block and I know that when it comes it will just blow us all away and it will be stupid simple.

seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Comments: 64
      • Overall: 72

Good on you. Finding out how kids learn is the important part. If they don’t learn how we teach, we figure out how to teach how they learn. You could be dealing with what I call a “deepest hole”. Somewhere along the way she missed something that is critical, as you noted. Find that deep hole and fill it, and you will see dramatic and fast growth. In some instances the hole is so deep and hard to find you may as well “repave the highway”. That is, start over with from the beginning and do the job right. As we said in the Navy, there are two ways to do a job: the right way, and again.

W.R.Buchanan
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Comments: 31
      • Overall: 33

Harter: the things I talked about are Senior to” Cognitive Hooks.” They are the three most basic fundamentals of learning and they are not taught in any school I have seen. The further our education system is led by the liberals who essentially hijacked it in the early 60’s, the farther towards the end result shown in the Movie, “Idiocracy,” we progress. A society that is so stupid that it can not sustain itself. Then the Harvesters can show up and people will willingly board them without a fight and be whisked off to who knows what end. Doubt it will be that good!.

Right now the Teachers Union is an alliance of fools that wield great power and influence, not to mention money. They are the ones controlling the education system in this country, and they are not about to let go without a fight. I might add that there are no students in the Teachers Union Just teachers.

They have systematically Dumbed down our schools to the point that students in College are now such pussies that they feel threatened by chalk writings of “Trump 2016” on side walks that make them feel threatened? These people are too stupid to be allowed to even be in a college, and yet the college entertains them with free counseling and hunting down the perps? Only in Liberal bastions can this exist, as the level of insanity needed to move such idiocy to standard practice is only contained in the liberal mind.

Most of those kids college age kids don’t even know what happened in 1776, they don’t know who the Vice President is. They can’t add subtract or multiply without a computer or cell phone, and forget about long division, they don’t even know what that is. They want to shut down Free Speech because it makes them uncomfortable, and yet the 1st Amendment is what is giving them the right to say what they say in the first place.

And when a College enables them to harbor such views and promote them so as to shut down others, I see educational insanity!

These people have so many Misunderstood Words in their limited vocabularies that digging them out of the mud would take a lifetime, and that mud hole is generations deep! To think that they will be running things after we are gone is downright scary to me. They don’t understand any of what they hear, and only a fraction of what they see. They have “trigger words” that exempt their behavior from Personal Responsibility. Their vocabularies are made up of so many words that they don’t understand the meanings of, that they can’t piece together a normal sentence and communicate with others, and as a result plain English makes little or no sense to them so they invent a new language so they can communicate with others. Unfortunately the rest of the world doesn’t speak that language so they end up in the basement living off mom and dad..

The ones at the top of the heap sell their BS with long sentences with as many unintelligible words are possible to sound like they know what they are doing and yet couldn’t explain it on a bet. They are betting that no one will call them out. I have and their response is to call me names and try to act all superior. They can’t make a salient argument to support their assertions simply because they don’t understand the words that they used to put for those very assertions in the first place!

The German Psychiatrists infiltrated this country after WWII, and were brought in and vouched for by the highest and best placed individuals. They were installed in the schools as a long term strategy of bringing this country to it’s knees so as to promote One World Govt. Since you can’t bring the rest of the world up to our living standard you bring us down to their level which is exactly what every controversial move that Obama has made was specifically designed to do. He has driven this country into the toilet and been very effective in doing so. It will take a long time to recover if it is possible at all. if Hillary is elected we are doomed! and we will see it in our lifetimes. You will know it’s happening when they come for the guns.

I could go on,,,, but many won’t get this far simply because of the things I have discussed above. It’s not your fault entirely, your education was sabotaged!

Randy

Seabolt: the deep hole you speak of is the words she didn’t understand and then tried to build on top of. It’s like laying a brick foundation for a building where you leave out half the bricks. It will fail.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Β© 2017Β Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.