Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

That’s right. I walked up to the counter at Academy sports and looked at the shelf behind the counter that holds the 22LR ammo. It was totally empty. I wasn’t surprised. I’ve been disappointed so many times in the past 6 years, it’s just par for the course.

Still, I thought it strange that even the high priced Match ammo was totally gone. An associate behind the counter asked if she could help me, and I asked her if they had sold out of all the 22LR?
      She smiled and proudly stated:
      No sir. It’s all out there with the rest of the ammunition and there is no limit. Buy all you want!

I tell you my heart almost fluttered as I went down the isle and found that she was correct. I reached out, and pulled ONE box off the shelf (just out of spite) and put it in my cart. Such a little thing. Something I have not done for almost a decade. It felt surreal.

Seems there is a change in the air. However, you can bet your bottom dollar I’ll never be the odd man out again. I am a gunsmith, and I made 500 rounds last me for 5 freakin years testing firearms that I had repaired etc etc. That was really tough. I dared not shoot my own 22s for fear of running short. I can’t believe it’s over (if only temporarily).

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

Early on I oiled and placed my much loved, well used old Ruger 10/22 from 1973 (walnut stock) in the safe. It is still there.
      I could see that it was going to be easier, and more cost effective to shoot mid powered centerfire rounds loaded with Red Dot than it was going to be finding .22lr. So I hung the old girl up, and started playing with load development in .223, .357 and even .444 Marlin.

I did have a stash going in thanks to my father in law. Around 5k rounds, mostly Win Super X and CCI Mini mags. Some of this I have used in my pair of Ruger Mk III 22/45’s. Mostly placing new Federal Champion auto 325 round boxes in storage as I used up the old stock. I have 2 bricks left of Armscor .22lr that I bought online for about 9 cents ea.

In the meantime I have doubled my stash. I have grandchildren that I am going to want to teach to shoot someday.

While I love the Ruger 10/22 in the field, being nice light, handy, accurate I have also come to enjoy some of my other guns more.

The .357 mag Handi is a joy, it will stack bullets if you can do your part. The .444 marlin is the same. Talk about bang for your buck!

Now is indeed the time to stack it up both wide and deep. Choose your brand wisely.
      Support those who have done their best by you in the past. For me that has been CCI and Federal. And I did not know they are both owned by Vista.

Thanks Rattlesnake for that link on the employee layoff in Anoka. Educmacated me some.

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

Still pretty high priced. Got a box of Federal a while back ( slow stuff) but it’s much cheaper to cast & reload. LGSs have lots, doesn’t move very fast.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

popper;n15519 wrote: Still pretty high priced. Got a box of Federal a while back ( slow stuff) but it’s much cheaper to cast & reload. LGSs have lots, doesn’t move very fast.

Pardon me for asking, but how do you figure that?

I’m buying Federal for $19 per 325. That’s roughly 6 cent’s per shot.
      Primers are 3.2 cents each, 5 grains of powder is .18 cents for a total of almost 5 cents each, which leaves you toiling over the reloading press and lead pot to save 1 cent per shot, and that’s only if you can somehow squint hard enough to convince yourself that lead is still free (which it is not).
      The above was figured for 38 special ammo, and if lead is $1 per pound for range scrap (which it is) then a 150 grain SWC costs 2 cents each, and now you’re over the cost of 22LR on your very best day, and that’s not even considering the fact that brass wears out, gets lost, and needs constant replacement, nor all the expendable stuff that goes into reloading and casting.
      From the time I was an adolescent, I always figured my cast loads in 45ACP or 38 special were realistically double the cost of 22LR, and that still holds true today.

That said, I hear the price is going to drop a bit towards the end of this year.

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

Tim,
      Can a 22LR rifle be converted to a small centerfire cartridge? If so, is it a viable solution to the contrived rimfire ammo shortage? Please advise.

Thank you,

Charlie

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

uber7mm;n15525 wrote: Tim,
      Can a 22LR rifle be converted to a small centerfire cartridge? If so, is it a viable solution to the contrived rimfire ammo shortage? Please advise.

Thank you,

Charlie

Apples and oranges. Centerfire is centerfire, rimfire is rimfire. Time and money are the currency we buy everything with, and you get exactly what you pay for. No exceptions.

22LR at 6 cents a pop cannot be duplicated nor substituted by an American. Its simply too cheap, and too easy.
      Now if you’re willing to toil away at the loading bench with a pair of tweezers, you certainly can make a reasonable substitute, as far as ballistics go. However, many states have game laws in place that make such a cartridge absolutely useless for any practical purpose (Arkansas is one of those), and unlike 22LR which you may easily and enjoyably burn off 250 at a time, after which you leave the brass lay, those who have the “substitute” will be on their knees picking up tiny, ever so losable brass.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

Wow, last brick(500) I bought was 39.99 + tax on top so over $0.08 per shot
      – If I look at primers cost about $0.035 each
      Lead is going for what $1 a pound, 7000 grains in a pound
      – say using 70 grain boolit so 100 in a pound so $0.01 for the lead
      – lube??? powder coat???
      – Smokeless powder going for $20-$30 per pound I guess
      – do 7 grains and you get 1000 so $0.02 to $0.03 per shot

$0.075 per shot in small cartridge – oh add lube cost about $0.08 or more for the reload.
      about a push I’d say – it’s availability that counts against the 22LR now.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Point is, you have to admit, you gotta get up pretty early in the morning to beat 22LR. The above example is assuming your brass lasts forever and never gets lost. Now if you’re loading for .223, I’ll admit that brass is pretty much free and ever so available, so big woop.
      The main consideration that always prevented me from trying to find a “reloadable substitute” for 22LR, is that I’d be working my butt off for a useless cartridge. Its not big enough to really deer hunt with, and most game laws prevent the use of any sort if centerfire cartridge for squirrel use. That leaves plinking, and to be able to step outside and pop off 300 rounds with the only care in the world being hitting your mark is impossible for me when I toiled for hours just to get a few minutes of enjoyment that could have been bought with $20 of 22LR ammo?
      Let me just say THANK GOD ITS BACK ON THE SHELVES!!!!!!

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

roto metals has recycled range lead at $1.50+ a pound.

which here shortly I need to get busy recovering some range lead (over a ton).

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

I haven’t seen 22LR for a while, with the exception of high performance loads. I just found some CCI for $3.99 / 50 so I snagged a box. 8 cents a piece. To paraphrase Tim, you can’t shoot anything else that cheap. (And the recoil is friendly enough for the gentler members of the family.)

Phil
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 52
      • Overall: 54

Now that 22LR is available I find myself shooting more of it than reloads. We have casual 22LR rifle and handgun matches every Friday. I have been using Federal AutoMatch with good results. It is running $0.0615/round shipped to my door. I do shoot a fair amount CF reloads but probably 3:1 22RF vs. CF reloads these days.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

That Fed AutoMatch is good stuff. The only thing that shot better in my Speedmaster was CCI AR. Yeah, I confess I’m shooting 22 about every other day. I guess you could say I’ve come full circle. Its easy to convince yourself cast reloads are as cheap as 22 when you have the option of either. When you either cast and reload, or go without trigger time for 6 years, then all of a sudden you can just buy a box and cut to the chase………….lets just say the reality of the situation is hard to ignore.

LenH
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 32
      • Overall: 36

I have been shooting Fed AutoMatch in Bullseye matches for a good while and I have had maybe 3 FTFs in 10 or more

boxes. It got real hard to find there for about 5 or 6 years and I started seeing it in gun shops for nearly $40 and the guy would ask how many boxes I wanted, I always replied that I was born at night but not last night and walk out. Funny thing is that they still have it for $40 and I have been able to get it for about$20 lately.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Len, I’ve been buying it at Academy Sports for $18.75 since Christmas, but it was recently on sale for $2 off so I grabbed another box.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Party like it’s 1999

Schweeeeeeeeght………….

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.