Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Alphawolf45
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 17
      • Overall: 19

I have only competed for two years.. Started almost too late in life .Presently shooting .357 mag. Rossi in pistol cartridge silhouette matches and I have been unsuccessful in getting a load worked up that is accurate enough to suit me. This is with iron sights- shooting off bench I get 3 inch groups at 100 yards. The ram target is just 6 inchs top to bottom in the middle so not much room for sighting/trigger errors… So I am working up a Winchester in .25-20 as its an inherently more accurate round.Thuther problem is that .25-20 brass cant be bought right now so I got to learn how to resize .32-20 to .25-20…The bit of experimenting I have done thus far would seem to indicate that it is impossible….’Course google searches show that some guys are doing a nice job of it….Anyway anyway. To become a Master in this sport I got to learn a lot more about reloading……..With .22 using Match grade ammo I am doing much better.
      Incidently Tim joined me a few weeks ago at a local match and he nearly beat me- think he did with the .357 mag.. He is a fine shot.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

You’re very welcome sir!
      I can help you work up a load in that 357 Steve. She can do better than that. If you want, I’ll buy a mold and we’ll see just how good that baby can really do. I could be wrong, but I would swear that rifle was shooting about a 10″ cone of fire at 100 yards. I highly suspect those commercial cast bullets. No telling what quality, size and lube you’ve got there. Those bullets are just fine for CQB drills, but silhouette shooting needs something a little better. What do you say? Want me to take a crack at it?

Alphawolf45
      Participant
      • Bronze

No Tim I don’t think (other than some fliers) it is anywhere near 10 inch cone of fire at 100 yards because it isn’t nearly that off the bench, I think what you were seeing offhand is inertia of the hammer dropping the end of the muzzle down when the heavy assed Rossi hammer slams down….Having fired this rifle for thousands of rounds I often think about how much easier it would be to shoot a bolt action striker fired rifle .I dry fire it hundreds of times a day and too often I seen the sights jump to below the target when the hammer slams down.
      No you have enough to do already..I’ll work on it s’more because I intend to continue using it in the 200 yard rifle silhouette matches..I slugged the bore and I know the BadMan bullets I am using are only .0005 thousanths over groove dia..I might have to pop for an Accurate mold but honestly I despise standing at the bench casting bullets..I much rather just buy them.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Yeah, you’re probably right. It’s probably just my perception. In competition, a near miss feels like a mile.

Also, that 22 of yours ruined me for the 357.
      Keep me in mind on those bullets Steve. I actually enjoy casting very much, and Im doing it all the time anyway. If you would rather leave that to me, I can guarantee you bullets that fit your barrel properly, and that are lubed with good stuff too. I may get my little Rossi 44 mag set up with good sights and let the folks laugh at me. It’s the only gun I have that I can play that game with.

BTW, thanks again for letting me use your rifles. That was about the most fun I’ve had with a lever action to date!

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Steve,
      Not done the 32-20 to 25-20 conversation lately but do know it can be done.
      Dad used to have a old savage 340 in that caliber great shooting rifle was accurate with the 88grs bullets.
      Gun broker has Auction # 539189633 100 pcs of 25-20 brass (Rem-UMC) with zero bids so far starting bid is at $75.00 two days left.
      Auction # 539658049 & Auction # 539658949 (5 days left) has 50 ea New Winchester brass, same seller starting bid at $40.00 each bag of 50 seller
      probably combine shipping for both lots may be a little high than you want. But is less expensive than New Starline 32-20 which I want to say is about $100 ish before shipping.
      Hope that helps

Or try here http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Winchester-Brass-25-20-Winchester/productDetail/Brass/prod9999003721/cat100137 at $20.00 a bag of 50

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Hopefully that helps

Alphawolf45
      Participant
      • Bronze

Mike …. Re-thinking. My easiest route is to set the .25 caliber barrel aside and instead build up a .32-20 …..I have a 1/2 completed Winchester 1873 project with a brand new .32-20 barrel installed on it…Barrel Threads for the 1873 are egggzackardly the same as the Model 65/92 . Dunno if the 1873’s mag tube will be long enough for the Winchester 65.Whatever it takes I can make it work..Can get 500 .32-20 brass from Starline for $111.00 and be done with brass considerations…

But,’course I really got my interest up in the .25-20..I have been watching Gunbroker for a while and no joy for brass…And the retailer you linked to is out of stock and likely to never get in another shipment of .25-20………I am not inclined to buy “once fired” .25-20 and don’t want to end up with multiple headstamps because of buying what I can get , where I can find it….I rather buy 500 Starline .32-20 brass for $111.00 delivered and resize it myself to .25-20..Here is good writeup and I will decide today whether to continue with .25-20 build or settle for the easier .32-20 conversion. http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/32-40-38-55-375-other-great-non-standard-calibers/174112-forming-218-bee-brass-starline-32-20-brass-easy-way.html

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

The problem with once fired brass is you don’t know how many times Mr. Once fired it. LOL!

Alphawolf45
      Participant
      • Bronze

Goodsteel;n281 wrote: The problem with once fired brass is you don’t know how many times Mr. Once fired it. LOL!

Eggzackardly !!

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Got it Steve best of luck either way 32 or 25-20 But I just noticed the bottom of Grumpa sig line seems he does 25-20 if that need arises for somebody else in here

Doc Highwall
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 131

I just checked the Starline brass web site and they have 500 32-20 cases for $111.50 that you can reform to 25-20.
      https://www.starlinebrass.com/order-online/all-cases.cfm

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.