Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

All of us have reloaded with Allient powder, Bullseye, Unique, all the DOT colors, 2400, but I never seem to hear about Herco.
      Why is that?
      What is it with Herco you never hear of it for loading cast boolits?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I’ve got no experiance with it.

mountain4don
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 39
      • Overall: 50

My “Load” for best accuracy in my 1917 S&W 45 ACP chambered military built about WWII is: CCI 300 primer, 7.0 Grains of Hercules HERCO, shooting an RCBS 45-201 SWC sized to 0.452″. The “old” Herco I am using my brother got when he bought out an elderly member of his shooting/hunting club of all of his reloading stuff. And he had no use for this old 8 pound container of HERCO, so I traded him some shotshell powder and some 45-70 bullets I cast for him. He also gave me a bunch of old 45 ACP cases the guy had used with the HERCO for shooting. And the load turned out to be a winner in my old S&W revolver chambered for the 45 ACP. I also use it for heavy cast bullet loads in the 38 S&W with 200 grainers. Shoots very well to point of aim in my old Webley.

JRR
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 84
      • Overall: 107

I have used Herco extensively in the 40 S&W. 180gr. RCBS cast with 5.6 to 5.8 works great. It vanished for a few years but is back.
      Jeff

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 256
      • Overall: 296

I knew that Herco had been used as a shotgun powder but never thought it could be used in anything else until 20 some years ago a older reloader who was working for me at the time got to talking about it. He said he used it in most of his pistol loads and even for lighter loads in CF rifle. One load in particular he mentioned he was using in a 30-30 Martini I had put together for him and was getting excellent groups. In the course of the conversation I must have mentioned something about it being a low power load as he showed up one morning with 2 does in the back of his pickup. He had dropped both of them that morning using that “low powered ” load. It made a believer out of me !!
      He gave me a pound of it and as time went on he dug into his records and gave me quite a few loads he had worked up, mostly for pistol but he did have a few for cast loads in the 30-30 and 30-40 Krag. It’s not common, but it does show up from time to time in a few of the early loading manuals.
      He said it could be a part for part replacement for Unique but this is only true in the more moderate loads especially in the pistol loadings. I found all loads, start away from the top and go up slowly.
      One thing I did notice is that if you get a good shooting load worked up for Unique, try the Herco. I don’t know why but in many cases your groups will actually improve and over the cronograph velocity variations will improve.
      I try to keep a couple of pounds around but have noticed lately it is getting a bit hard to find.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I wish every answer could be given so eloquently and heartwarmingly.
      Awesome. Now everybody who reads your answer will have to try a pound of Herco next time they see it for sale.
      Thank you sir!

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

Convinced me!

farmerjim
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 25
      • Overall: 25

I use Herco in 12ga, 20ga, .380, 9mm, 38sp, 357 mag, 357 max, 45 acp, and 308. It shoots great in all of them. The 308 is a sub sonic load. I am using Herco from a 4 lb can I bought for $6 back in the 60’s, but have an 8 ponder ready when this runs out.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

I started using it in 12 & 20 ga field loads in about 1968. I’ve used it in .38 Spl back in the 1980’s where the manuals listed it as giving max velocity with 158 gr SWC. It was a favorite of a friend of mine’s father-in-law for .45 ACP. Older manuals list much more than current ones. It still works well in many applications, but I think there is a trend to show off the newer powders. I have it on the shelf.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

When looking at Herco in the shotgun data, it shows up for the heavier loadings. On a burn rate chart it is between Unique and blue dot.
      At this burn rate it seems like it would be a good fit , so I wonder why it is we dont hear more about it.??

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

kens;n12427 wrote: When looking at Herco in the shotgun data, it shows up for the heavier loadings. On a burn rate chart it is between Unique and blue dot.
      At this burn rate it seems like it would be a good fit , so I wonder why it is we dont hear more about it.??

When Blue Dot came out, it was pushed by the manufacturer and gun rag writers. New is news.

I think Herco is less affected by extreme cold than Blue Dot.

sundog
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 28
      • Overall: 30

Just finished a D&T on a .357 Blackhawk. Put on a Weigand mount and a 2X scope. Herco and a PC Lee 158TC thru a .3595 push thru. Shoots great. Years ago Felix and I played around with Herco quite a bit. Like he said, “Treat Herco like a slow lot of Unique.”

Herco is good stuff with cast!

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

From the Lyman Shotshell Handbook, First Complete Edition:
      HERCO – This coarse grained powder is designed for use in magnum and heavy shotshell loads. It is one of the slower burnng shotshell powders in the Hercules line.

Attached are a few pages with data for Herco in 12 ga so you can see how it compares with other powders.

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I think “The Flicker” would be tickled to see the response on how well Herco has become accepted. I know I was skeptical at first. He was one of what I call the old time reloaders who got started shortly after WW-2 and perhaps even sooner as he often talked of how difficult it was to get any kinds of components especially out here. Even now reloading components are scattered few and far between and one either has to mail order things in or make a trip to the big city, Denver and even there not always do you find what you want. He never said how he got to using it but that he found it most useful for many things as long as you watched your pressure ranges and didn’t just get flat crazy with it.

I think all too often we tend to get tunnel vision. Get stuck with one performance factor we are trying to achieve and nothing else will do or even be considered.
      I follow many forums always trying to learn and when something pops up that looks interesting, I give it a try.
      Twice now, I have gone through shortages of reloading components, the first in the early 70’s. Haven’t a clue why but it just seems about everything for reloading components just flat vanished from the shelves. Many said it was due to everything being directed to Vietnam and the second of course, when the exulted one was was coranated and the rush was on. Also along the way we enjoyed the .22 shortage which many seem to still being enjoying.
      The first one , like many, caught me flat footed. I only kept a small amount of anything on hand, mostly due to starting to raise a family and what little money we had always had to go in another direction and besides, the local gunshop always had a good supply on hand, Heck, I even was buying my primers by the 100 pack, the thought and money to buy a whole brick was simply out of the question.
      All I will say is I learned from #1 and I could care less if components are ever in short supply again. Nuff said.

Getting back to Flicker and his using powders that one would not normally consider, this philosophy can be extended. Look at how many now are using Red Dot in pistol and small rifle loads. No, they are not driving a 350 gn. Barns solid into a cape buffalo but are dropping coyotes with cast in the Hornet and even the 223.
      The cast bullet, properly loaded and handled in the field will drop anything in North America. Records are being set that are driving the jacketed bullet crowd nuts. What powders are being used and what powders can be used ?
      For the inquiring mind that wants to know– this can be a lot of fun.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Reg, forgive me. I feel like I’m about to show my youth here, but who is “The Flicker”?

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Funny how we get comfortable with what we know, and seldom want to experiment with new stuff.
      During this past obama shortage, I could not find my favorite unique powder, nor anything else. All I could get was Green Dot, I never used it, and didn’t know it.
      But it was to buy green dot or nothing. So I was forced to try it. And found out I liked it. I run the same powder drop for both 9mm & 45acp. It took 1 step out of changing from 9mm to 45’s.
      Now that the obama powder shortage is relieving a bit, I been seeing a lot of Herco on the shelves, and it doesn’t seem to be moving. Everybody wants bullseye, unique, and blue dot.
      I am wondering if Herco is today, what green dot was to me before?

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Just got an e-mail advertisement from Widener’s with 8 lb of Herco for $124. It must still be popular if it has not been dropped. But, you sure don’t hear much about what it is being used for.

Green Dot. Yes another sleeper. I’ve always used Red Dot instead of Bullseye. Tried 10 gr of Green Dot behind a Lee 170 gr FNGC in .30-30 a few years ago. Saw with my own eyes a buddy put 5 into a 2 inch group at 200 yards with his scoped Marlin 336.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

That was a special rifle. I’ve seen two examples that would perform that way myself.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

That was a special rifle. I’ve seen two examples that would perform that way myself.

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

“The Flicker “, Lloyd Flick. Old time local reloader , shooter, hunter and just all around one heck of a nice guy.
      Got to know him back in the late 80’s and for many years he was a friend, employee, and mentor. I don’t think there was much in the shooting game he hadn’t tried and he had learned from all of it and also was good at passing on that knowledge if one had the patience to learn. Maker of excellent knifes, and tomahawks, he was big into buckskinning.
      Loved to cast bullets and was darned good at it. He had less weight variance than anyone I have ever seen.
      I could go on and on but if you get the idea I thought a lot of the old guy— you are right.

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Your first line is a excellent summation !! Have heard of a few playing with Green Dot. Need to look for a can.

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Just throwing out food for thought.
      Flicker’s load I had mentioned for the 30-30, just looked it up. 200 gn. Lyman 308334 ( lino ) 8.5 gn. Herco, no crimp in Super X cases, sized .3090, over all length of 2.660. Large Martini action, Springfield 2 groove ( Rem 44 ) barrel. Weaver K-4. We both could day after day get 1 inch 10 shot groups out of this combination off the bench at 100 yards. Power ?? He showed up one morning with 2 does in the back of his pickup dropped with this load and who knows how many others he shot. He lived off of deer meat most of the year.

My bunny load.
      .22 Hornet, Lyman 225415, 38 gn. wheel weights, 2 gn. Herco, avg. vel 1148. Sized .225 ,RP cases, homemade aluminum gas checks.
      Above used in a Stevens 418 1/2 made up in .22 Hornet. Yes, I know this is a rifle that should not be, long story how I wound up with it and no, I didn’t make it.
      With the early Lyman target scope will deliver 1 inch and less groups ( 10 shot ) at 100 yds on a calm day. You don’t want to shoot it much with any kind of a breeze. Excellent bunny load. Little meat damage but have take standing jacks off hand at 100 yards with clean quick kills.

Other loads, not tried.
      30-30 Lyman 3118 with 5 gn. Red Dot vel. 900 fps.
      30-30 310-315 round ball 3 gn. Unique ( Herco ? )

The two above came from reliable sources and the other two I personally use but as with all information you get off the web on reloading, approach very carefully. What works in my rifle may not work in yours.

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.