Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

If you were to build a switch barrel mauser, can you rely on the point of impact to remain constant?

I’m speaking of a M98 with a receiver drilled/tapped for a 1 piece scope mount such as Leupold or Redfield 1-piece base.

I understand that the blueprinting of the action is a facing cut on a lathe, and barrel butt is another facing cut, BUT, when you screw it together can you expect the POI to maintain anything close to a zero??

OR, when you do the switch barrel mauser thing, do you have to go through all the sighting in deal all over with each barrel?

I am not speaking about downrange ballistics of different calibers, but, only a common zero at some common yardage,

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

Ok, Not a Mauser but Winchester Post-64 Push Feed Model 70 swap barrel with Savage type Locking Nut.

If I remove the barrel and put the same barrel back into the receiver it’s pretty close to the previous zero.

One of the things I do is put a suppressor on the end of the 308 barrel – that changes the POI more than removing the barrel and replacing it.

Changing to a different barrel with different contour and caliber does change the POI but you can also swap out scopes at the same time and again it pretty much matches up with previous sight in.  Are we talking spot on – no but usually More more than a click or three away.  Close enough that if you couldn’t re verify your zero you could still hit a large game animal. at 100-200 yards.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

BjornB may weigh in here. He owns two of my switch barrel Mausers and has three or four barrels for each of them. He could speak to the POI consistency.

Personally, I would think that Mauser threads are too course to provide a perfect realignment every time.

BTW, blueprinting the receiver is much more involved than facing it off. It has to do with re-machining all the critical surfaces inside the action for a perfect fit, and doing this to Mausers is a pretty tall order due to the surface hardening.

Facing off the receiver is just that, but has no bearing on a typical Mauser as the barrel does not seat against the face of the receiver (unless the gunsmith changes it to do so for some reason, which I have). The barrel on a typical Mauser seats inside the action, and that’s the surface that needs to be correct, however, on some Mausers, the internal seat is too far gone to clean up without cutting through the hard surface, which is one very good reason why the face of the action is trued and the barrel is seated against it.

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

I own 2 heavy bench rifles built by Tim. One is Bertha, built on a very rare commercial single shot M98 action originally purchased from Zmanwakeforest. The rifle was my main test bed throughout the XCB test project, although back then (mainly 2014) she wore a couple of fitted barrels.

Tim converted Bertha into a switch barrel rifle a couple of years ago, and it’s the rifle he holds on the opening page of this forum. I currently have 2 barrels for the rifle: a Shilen 1:17 twist in 30BR, and a Broughton 1:12 twist also in 30BR. It’s currently being shipped back to Tim for the chambering and headspacing of a third barrel, a Brux 1:14 in 30BR to be used exclusively for cast bullets.

The other rifle is Felix, a 1909 Argentine Mauser that Tim made into a single shot. It wears different barrels in 30XCB and 35XCB.

The barrels are switched by an ingenious tool made by Tim; it takes less than a minute to swap out a barrel. I’ll post some pictures in a separate post (no pics on this computer).

As for your question in the OP; both these rifles shoot to the same POA with the respective barrels after they have been swapped out. No difference between the barrels. It’s an excellent way to have a bunch of heavy bench guns at a reasonable cost.

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★

Artful
        Participant
        • Gold
        • ★★★

So are you using a shoulder on the barrel to set your head space then?

bjornb
          • Silver
          • ★★

Tim will have to answer the technical aspects of this, but all I do is screw in the barrel, install the aluminum bracket on the muzzle and give it a sideways whack with the plastic mallet. It always clocks to the same spot. To remove the barrel I whack it counterclockwise.

lkydvl
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 10
      • Overall: 17

Hmmm…Tim just read that you have made switch barrel Mausers.

Perchance would you have pics of any?  I recently acquired such an animal with two barrels.  One is 270 the other 35 Whelen.  Been trying to locate info on the builder but no luck so far.

Perhaps it is one of yours?

Thought I had pics of it somewhere but can’t locate them.  Will work on that this evening.

Andre`

lkydvl
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 10
      • Overall: 17

Here are a few pics of my rifle:

The POI of both barrels is within a couple inches of each other using some random ammo I had available for both cals.

Andre`

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★

This is a group I shot last Saturday. 3 foulers, then this 10-shot group. I’ll go back and shoot again (the barrel was removed after this range trip), and we’ll see how close I get.

bjornb
        • Silver
        • ★★

What a nice rifle!!

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Nice Rifle

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Hey Andre’, the rifle you have is none of my doing, but it’s a very attractive piece. Looks like another successful European attempt at being awesome. LOL!

Very very nice!

My rifles were built for bench testing cast bullet cartridges and making disgustingly small groups with jacketed bullets.

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★

Bertha:

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★

Felix:

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Artful, As I said in my previous reply, I use the internal abutment to headspace these rifles with. Both were properly aligned, and needed no tweaking.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Well, you guys answered my question. thanks.

I am looking at the ability to go on African hunt, an international job application is in current progress. If I am already on the other side of the world, how much could it cost to change planes in africa, (or Mediterranian) and go on a hunt? Hells bells, I’ll be changing planes anyway, I’ll just make that plane change convenient for the occasion.

Importation of your hunting rifle is a hassle, therefore I’m thinking of single 7×57 rifle, registered as transfer weapon, then just ship a dumb barrel in 9×57, or 35whelen, or some such combo of a light vs heavy game combo. All the hunt guides I read about thus far indicate 2 rifles, 1 light (7×57 or similar) and 1 heavier. Paperwork for just 1 rifle with 2 barrels might be easier.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

check the required caliber’s in your hunting area’s a lot of the hunting requiring medium bore is .375 or larger to hunt certain game with.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Yeah, that too.

The trophy fees also get involved. Anything that REQUIRES .40 cal or larger is trophy fees too rich for my blood.

Caliber required seems to be directly related to trophy fees from what I am reading thus far.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.