Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      slim1836
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 63
      • Overall: 66

First of all, I am not a swager, however, I have a few questions.

After watching this video “https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gSm–Oj4q0” I elected to try it with the following twist:

I trimmed the .40 brass to the required length, weighed the case, and then weighed lead to get the total of both to 230 grain.
      Next I put the lead into the case and heated the brass (glowing red) until all the lead was melted. I then ran it through the .308 & .243 dies as shown on the video and finally through the .451 sizing die to complete the process.

I have done a half dozen this way for show only, but am wondering if these would be safe to shoot since I annealed the brass while melting the lead into the case. Is there such a thing as over annealing brass to the point of not being safe to shoot?

The video shows petal expansion of the case upon impact of greater than a quarter and that’s impressive in my book.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Slim

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

If they are the right size it should be ok. Remember they will be longer than typical bullets, and the rear end will be a little harder, so start low and work up.

slim1836
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 63
      • Overall: 66

Thanks, I was worried since I performed the melting of lead and annealing the case in a single step that I may have caused the brass to become too soft. I really see no need to actually swage .45’s as they shoot basically at 920 FPS, but it was kind of nice to be able to make one this way.

Slim

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

It may foul more, but you can’t get brass too soft. After all, you can shoot lead down a barrel.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

I have done this whack a mole style with an old RCBS .270 die.

I tried melting the lead into the case and annealing it. Not as fond of those but it is purely a matter of looks. I am sure they will shoot.

The ones I like the best I drop a .357 round nose 158 grain cast boolit into the .40sw case, Drop the whole thing into the die. Insert the square end of a short punch into the die and Whack the punch 7 or 8 times fairly hard.

The round nose boolit goes into the die and centers it where the shoulder is. Brass gets squeezed down and around it locking it in place.

Leaves a small round lead nose sticking out of the case. In my case I size for .444 marlin.

I have a fair stock of these but have not yet had the gumption to load and shoot them. Some of them are dang cute, some are not quite perfect. Bullet does not get stuck or comes loose.

I guess I may have to go down and make a few more today and shoot some pictures.

I have a 25lb box of .40sw brass that I bought for 50$ from our range. I do have a highpoint carbine in .40sw. But I like the whack a mole el cheapo swaging thing also.

What I have not had was any luck turning .380 brass into .357 bullets. I don’t think I can get enough OOMPH on it to size it down enough.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.