Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Glenn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 222
      • Overall: 265

My neighbor Charlie came over today to load a pile of ammo for his new S&W 40.  We loaded up 10 rounds and tried them in the gun, and ended up with 2 misfires with Win SP primers.  So I switched to tulammo primers and had 4 misfires out of 10.

The misfires had a very light firing pin strikes on the primer.

So I was thinking about oil or crud on the firing pin.  I tore it down and hosed the slide out with brake cleaner.  I spent a lot of time on the firing pin channel, then blew it out with compressed air.

I put it back together and tried 10 more rounds with win primers, and it ran great with no misfires.

Jniedbalski
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 208
      • Overall: 232

That’s always good when you can fix it just by cleaning. Better than buying parts

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I learned what could have been a very expensive lesson about clean first then adjust . Had a 1917 Colt that wouldn’t reliably cycle . Mostly it came up short of the locking bolt . Fortunately I tore it down before I started fixing what I thought needed to be fixed . I basically just let it swim overnight in CLP . The amount of grunge , filth , and dirt was unreal . On the other hand it had not been stripped in my lifetime .

Jniedbalski
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 208
      • Overall: 232

I have seen old marlin auto  22s’ that where so dirty I can’t beleave that they ever shot

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Very timely Glen. My Springfield XD .45 is starting to misfire with very light firing pin strikes. I’ll check this out closer.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.