This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Rattlesnake Charlie 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
     Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 210
    • Overall: 251

My neighbor Charlie came over today to load a pile of ammo for his new S&W 40.  We loaded up 10 rounds and tried them in the gun, and ended up with 2 misfires with Win SP primers.  So I switched to tulammo primers and had 4 misfires out of 10.

The misfires had a very light firing pin strikes on the primer.

So I was thinking about oil or crud on the firing pin.  I tore it down and hosed the slide out with brake cleaner.  I spent a lot of time on the firing pin channel, then blew it out with compressed air.

I put it back together and tried 10 more rounds with win primers, and it ran great with no misfires.

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 167
    • Overall: 187

That’s always good when you can fix it just by cleaning. Better than buying parts

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 797
    • Overall: 868

I learned what could have been a very expensive lesson about clean first then adjust . Had a 1917 Colt that wouldn’t reliably cycle . Mostly it came up short of the locking bolt . Fortunately I tore it down before I started fixing what I thought needed to be fixed . I basically just let it swim overnight in CLP . The amount of grunge , filth , and dirt was unreal . On the other hand it had not been stripped in my lifetime .

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 167
    • Overall: 187

I have seen old marlin auto  22s’ that where so dirty I can’t beleave that they ever shot

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

Very timely Glen. My Springfield XD .45 is starting to misfire with very light firing pin strikes. I’ll check this out closer.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.