Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

1. Im not shure I understand the question,,,but,,,there is not a lot of diff between a 280 and a 7 mag,,,why try and download a hundred fps and loose accuracy ,,,,most reduced loads are not as accurate as full power loads untill you get down to cast bullet vel,, and use fast powders that give hi pressure but low vel,,,,I wouldnt change a thing,,,sight in the gun and go hunt and have fun,,,,hope u get a big un,,,Roger

2. For a very long time, I read a lot of modern load books that showed cast bullets being shot at low velocities. A lot of people told me that cast bullets were not capable of being fired more than 1600-1800 feet per second. If you look at the load data given for cast bullets in most reloading manuals, you’ll see the data published for cast loads being small amounts of extremely fast burning powders.

3. Hi Guys,

I have heard that if you shoot a lead bullet at too high a velocity that it will melt. What is the maximum safe velocity for a lead bullet?

Thanks,

and the answer was:
      Less than 2000 FPS.
      :confused:

4. I bought my wife a small handgun with a laser. You can’t miss with a laser.

5. I don’t feel comfortable with a loaded gun, so I’ll just point my unloaded gun at my attacker.

6. We make it very easy for individuals who are troubled or disturbed or want to engage in violent acts to get very powerful weapons very quickly. And that’s a problem – From the moron that OK’s Fast and Furious as a way to catch drug cartel individuals. – Barrack Obama D- Illinois (what does the D stand for?)

7. Well, you know, my shotgun will do better for you than your AR-15, because you want to keep someone away from your house, just fire the shotgun through the door – says the second moron in charge.

8. We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it’s legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines — Really ? Dianne Feinstein D- California ( does the D stand for DUMBASS?) says that murder is OK in her neck o the woods..

9. If you ban them in the future, the number of these high-capacity magazines is going to decrease dramatically over time because the bullets will have been shot and there won’t be any more available —Diana DeGette D-Colorado (yep D – does equal DUMBASS)

10. I don’t feel sad for the officers that lost their lives and I know that’s not really my heart. I value human life. And I want to feel sad for them, but I can’t help but feeling like the shooter was a martyr. – Miss Alabama Kalyn Chapman James on the Dallas Police Shooting during a Day of rage aka BLM

11. 8 bullets in a gun is more of a crime than molesting a child in NY

Post what you have heard as dumb.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Yup have to agree

Wright Arms
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 130
      • Overall: 138

Critical thinking is NOT being taught in public schools. Compliance IS.

It is going to get much worse before it ever gets better, given the path out nation is on.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

Okay, here’s a no-shitter.
      While I was in the navy going though security force training, someone questioned shooting a 12ga buckshot load down the passageways of a ship, there are I beams along the way which would have a pocket that the buckshot might bounce back at you. So the guy teaching the course said to aim at the deck and the blast from the buckshot would breakup some of the tile flooring and shoot it down the passageway also so you would get more projectiles headed the right way.
      Crazy right??!!

So a few months later we were at a refresher course and had to re qualify on all weapons. The same shoot at the deck theory was now being taught to all of the classes!! Yes I spoke up saying that it was ridiculous and if you wanted to hit a target, aim at it!!

Now the Gunners mate that was teaching the shotgun portion was showing the class what they expected. Load your gun… engage your targets… then you had to speedload a round into the open action, close it and fire on the last target. The first problem is they had a variety of shotguns, Mossberg, Rem, Browning. Anyway, so the guy has a Mossberg and for the last part, teaching the class… He tries to put a loaded round in the bottom of the action and ram the slide forward. The round falls to the ground, so he tries again doing it faster… Finally I had to try and help him save face saying that he must have been thinking of one of the other shotguns and showed him how to put the round in the open side of the action. LOL I don’t know if I wanted to laugh or cry. !!
      Just because he was a GM he automatically assumed that he was a no-it-all. I don’t know it all, but I knew a hell of alot more than he did.
      One of the other junior GMs was telling me about his 44mag that his father gave him, but he was shooting 38 specials in it. LMAO. I had to go to his house and show him on the side of the barrel where it said 357.

The GM Master Chief took note of what was going on and when we were pulling in from deployment, he asked if I would give a firearms saftey brief over the ships TV system instead of the bonehead GM.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

No offense to the armed forces or those who have served in any of them, but having worked closely with many ex-Navy personnel, I will say this does not surprise me.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Just last week, a guy called and asked if I could recommend a substitute powder for a friend of his. He told me the name of the smokeless powder that was being used, but I can’t remember which it was off hand.
      I told him “Sure I can. What cartridge and firearm is this being used in?”.
      He said: “A sidelock muzzle loader”.
      I told him that either this guy was an extremely experienced reloader with a custom rifle who needs no advice on powder selection or he’s a bloomin idiot that’s not long for this world.

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 256
      • Overall: 296

Actually, I am starting to believe there is something to this business of contrails. Has to be. What ever reason people just seem to be getting dumber and dumber.

slim1836
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 63
      • Overall: 66

I think I’m a victim of contrails or something similar because I know I’m not well educated. I can’t keep up with a lot of the discussions on this forum or the other one (y’all know which one).

I got into reloading in the 80’s due to the expense of factory ammo and the desire to obtain consistent groups and the satisfaction of reloading my own. That part I did achieve, at least for 100 yards as that is the longest distance at the local range. I had no mentor so I did a lot of reading before experimenting. Lived through it all thanks to being careful and second and third verifications before committing to a particular task. To date, I have avoided double charged cases, one primer explosion during seating operations, and only had one stuck casing (forgot to lube) in a sizing die.

Next, I decided to try casting my own and that opened up a new world, scrounging for lead everywhere I could, looking for second hand molds, pots, ladles, etc…
      Then came wet tumbling over vibratory and powder coating. The list goes on and on and somehow I have avoided the tinsel fairy but still wear protective gear just in case. I now have enough lead, powder, primers, and casing to last me for the rest of my time on earth. Somewhere, I must have saved some money.

It’s really satisfying (for me) to have learned the above, just wish I would have started earlier (I’m 63) in life. Guess there is still some hope for me.

I don’t post much due to my inexperience but that doesn’t keep me from reading and learning, just wish I knew what y’all were talking about sometimes as a lot of it’s way over my head.

Thanks for the continuing education, that’s why I come here.

Hope that spaceship that dropped me off doesn’t come back cause I like it here.

Slim

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

If you don’t understand, just wade in and ask! You’re probably not the only one, and we’re here to help!
      Don’t be intimidated. I’ve come a long way in my short legged life, but the day I come so far I forget where I started, is the day I need to hang it up and take up collecting stamps, and I would venture that most here feel the same way. Heck Larry Gibson has forgot more about this stuff than I’ve ever learned, and he STILL takes time to answer simple questions.
      We’re glad you’re here. If there’s no teaching and learning going on, then we might as well be hollering into a cave and letting the echos keep us company.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Well if you like it here, heck stick around.
      Honestly if it is sincere question then really there is no stupid question regardless of this post it was done in humor if you noticed I probably picked more on our politicians than posters on old posts on differing forums, bTW none came from CBF, most was like sniper hide and other site such as that (#6-11 actually).
      Add that to the day I posted this, was on a day I just heard too much stupid around the office, and thought it might be a interesting vent area for others as well as myself.

slim1836
      Participant
      • Bronze

I do plan on sticking around to expand my knowledge, just won’t be posting a lot unless it to ask for help and can’t find the answer on my own.

I enjoy casting and reloading and the satisfaction I get when a plan comes together. Needed to shoot more but this summer has been real busy for me and my health is not what it used to be.

Made my own annealing machine (plans off you tube) and that was fun. It actually works.

I hope to get into shotshell reloading just to be semi proficient in it. I know shells are cheap but I want to learn to reload my own. Got a TEXAN LOADMASTER (free) in 20 gauge and a MEC JR ($20) in 12. Been saving hulls from dove hunting and got 25 lbs. of 7 1/2 shot so far.

I will stick around until my eyes (glaucoma) give out or 6′ under.

Thanks to all who continue to contribute to the expansion of my knowledge, it’s a very good forum here.

Slim

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Made my own annealing machine (plans off you tube) and that was fun. It actually works.
      Slim

I’d like to see that!

slim1836
      Participant
      • Bronze

I tried to up load the annealing machine video but all is get is an “invalid file ” response. I may be able to send it to an email address if desired.

I made mine from this information: http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea…-list-included

Slim

slim1836
      Participant
      • Bronze

This is the plans I used. Hope it helps.

Slim

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Very nice! this belongs in the “ingenious solutions” section!

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Actually Slim you do need to post this to reloading process’s and tip section that way some that are interested get visibility on this.
      Or because some just find it easier just make a few extra and sell them.

BTW great tip thanks for sharing.
      Mike

slim1836
      Participant
      • Bronze

The plans are not entirely correct in the cabinet dimensions but close enough. I used a one gallon paint can cut down for the main drum. The smaller wheel I made by using a keyhole saw and glued three pieces together to get the proper size and filed the casing groove by hand. The motors do not have any torque to them but do work. It was a fun build and the credit goes to the member on the 68 forum who posted it.

Wish this forum would download my video, but alas, no luck there. I can send it (if someone really wanted it) but several versions are already out there on youtube.

Slim

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.